Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2016, 08:34 AM
昇龍拳 Shōryūken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Inc View Post
Fluker has always looked like he's playing with his feet in buckets of cement. That's why I liked seeing him move to guard. Didn't think it would be as big of a deal. Unfortunately he just isn't quick enough at guard either. The thing that really shocks me is that at 6-5 340, he really isn't a powerful, mauling road grader in the run game. He should be blowing people up, especially on short yardage situation, but he doesn't. Some combination of Tuerk & Slauson at C/G would be intriguing.

Does anybody know what picking up Fluker's option for 2017 means money wise? Is he guaranteed that salary even if he were cut? If not, what would the cap hit be if he was released?
I bet if Fluker is put in say Denver's system he would flourish.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:36 AM
Moderator of the Trenches

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat4477 View Post
Sorry, I'm tired of "serviceable" players. I want an O-lineman who road-grades big holes for Gordon, not a "serviceable" guy who doesn't get the job done much of the time. Imagine hiring a "serviceable" mechanic to fix an oil leak in your car. Suppose he stops 50% of the leak, but you still have 50% still spilling out. That's Fluker. Okay in pass blocking (as long as he doesn't get penalized--and he did lead the Bolt O-linemen in penalties a year ago); but he's bad at run blocking. So, he's like the mechanic that stops only half the leak. Time to give Tuerk or someone else some snaps and let's see what they can do.
I'm tired of analyzing personnel with metaphors.

And yet.

Sure, sign me up for five all-pro linemen. No arguments here.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:36 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Sorry, I'm tired of "serviceable" players. I want an O-lineman who road-grades big holes for Gordon, not a "serviceable" guy who doesn't get the job done much of the time. Imagine hiring a "serviceable" mechanic to fix an oil leak in your car. Suppose he stops 50% of the leak, but you still have 50% still spilling out. That's Fluker. Okay in pass blocking (as long as he doesn't get penalized--and he did lead the Bolt O-linemen in penalties a year ago); but he's bad at run blocking. So, he's like the mechanic that stops only half the leak. Time to give Tuerk or someone else some snaps and let's see what they can do.
That wouldn't be a serviceable mechanic. That'd be a bad one.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:40 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomDaBomb View Post
That wouldn't be a serviceable mechanic. That'd be a bad one.
Exactly! Let's strive for EXCELLENCE, not mediocrity, or as you succinctly point out, just plain BAD.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:57 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodeye2000 View Post
Nobody wants to hear it, but Fluker will be given time to shake his chronic foot problem and develop at ORG with one center, Slauson now, next to him.

Look for Donavon Clark and Tuerk, possibly Watt to push for snaps.

We may draft a developmental OT--look at the talent pool in rounds 2-3-4.

As discussed, better health at WR, another two-way TE, and a change of pace RB can bring it all together.

Give Davidson/DeGuglielmo time to build something here. Patience.

Build the defense with one more elite impact player to put that side over the top.
I feel like what you are preaching is unfortunately why the Chargers don't take the next step. They put up with mediocrity for too long.

Look at safety. Since Rodney left after the 2002 season they have had one solid safety, Weddle. The names of pedestrian journeyman goes on forever. Lassiter, Jue, Hart, McCree, Jerry & Jimmy Wilson, Gilchrist .... The list goes on.

I firmly believe Te'o would still be starting if not for his injury and Brown would have his snaps limited and we probably would have lost the Denver game. I don't think Pagano or anybody else on the Chargers staff has the balls to make bold moves. It's sad that the Bolts defense got better because of Te'o's injury and not because the coaches saw that Brown was the better player.

One thing I really admire about the Patriots & Belichick is that they aren't afraid to bench, cut or trade players if they aren't getting the job done. They also tend to get rid of players a year early instead of a year too late, something I commend the Chargers on for doing with Weddle.

I would take a gentleman's bet that Tuerk will be starting at center next year and Slauson will be at one of the guard positions.

Last edited by Damage Inc; 10-26-2016 at 09:05 AM..
Old 10-26-2016, 09:23 AM
Hall of Famer

I have been the number one touter of Tuerk on this board.
He needs more bulk.

The right move is to keep Slauson at center, where he leads. We have desparately needed consistency in the pivot. Now we have it. Don't play chess.

This line will come together.

The final skill MG III needs to develop is to feel when it is not time to dance, but to just hit the hole. LT redux.

Then PFFFFT will give our Oline a better grade.

Okung--Slauson--Pulley--Lamp--Barksdale
Old 10-26-2016, 09:25 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodeye2000 View Post
I have been the number one touter of Tuerk on this board.
He needs more bulk.

The right move is to keep Slauson at center, where he leads. We have desparately needed consistency in the pivot. Now we have it. Don't play chess.

This line will come together.

The final skill MG III needs to develop is to feel when it is not time to dance, but to just hit the hole. LT redux.

Then PFFFFT will give our Oline a better grade.
Good to see you have yielded under my Iron Fist.

Please support your Emperor.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:22 PM
Is it time to panic yet?

Quote:
Exactly! Let's strive for EXCELLENCE, not mediocrity, or as you succinctly point out, just plain BAD.
well, the quote you were replying to did use the word "serviceable", commenting on the opinion Fluker can become "serviceable"

As in: Not bad, Does the job. Acceptable. Average.

That's different than: Bad, can't do the job, unacceptable, below average.

I would be happy with 5 average linemen with a pro bowl QB, RB, and WR. Some may want a bunch of pro bowl linemen and an average QB, RB, etc. You can't have it all - somethings gotta give somewhere.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:28 PM
outback goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Inc View Post

It's sad that the Bolts defense got better because of Te'o's injury and not because the coaches saw that Brown was the better player.
Brown is good
Bosa helped more than Te'o injury imo
Old 10-27-2016, 04:08 PM
Hall of Famer

Has the line gelled yet? Or is this max potential lol