Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Friar Talk > Friars General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2016, 08:10 AM
@TeeOhEmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestigious5150 View Post
Free agents? Are you kidding me? Free agents? It's an established fact that the Padres are the worst run organization in baseball. In fact, they're making a serious run at being the worst run organization in professional sports. They're an organizational disgrace and a baseball abomination of the highest order. I doubt potential free agents care what the owner of the Padres has to say considering the team he owns is a dumpster fire.
so if I asked if i could sign you up for season tickets and tempted you with ASG tickets im taking that as a no?

just clearing things up a bit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:09 PM
Hall of Famer

I guess the days are over when the owner of the team gets on the PA system and apologizes for his team to all the fans in the stands.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:24 PM
Learn to THINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I guess the days are over when the owner of the team gets on the PA system and apologizes for his team to all the fans in the stands.
Have you been paying attention?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:28 PM
Hall of Famer

Ya. The blame gets more disiminated these days.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:41 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
All of the opposing team's fans in the stands ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Dear Mojo !!! We might have been 4-12, but we have SOME kind of dignity left !!! We're not sending our owner out there to apologize to a sea of orange shirt wearing worshippers of barnyard animals, I can tell you that much right now.

Last edited by Chargerfreak; 06-25-2016 at 01:50 AM..
Old 07-18-2016, 06:37 PM
Hall of Famer

I will say this: my teenager son persuaded me to attend a couple of Padres' games at Petco over the July 4th weekend, and considering that the Padres are consistently about a .400 team, management does an amazing job of creating a festive atmosphere at games, such that you are attending a kind of party where the action on the field is almost secondary.

Professional sports is equal parts athleticism and show business entertainment (which is why the Big Leagues are referred to as "The Show"). To take a team that is a consistent cellar dweller and turn it into a kind of civic asset is, metaphorically speaking, like spinning straw into gold.

I may be unduly forgiving because I have followed the team since its year of origin, 1969, and the current game is wrapped in a certain gauze of nostalgia; love for the Krocs, and for Jerry Coleman, whom I would listen to on the radio when I was a lad. Things like incorporating the over century old Western Metals Building into the stadium is a shrewd bid to marry the new players and the new game to the old traditions. Hence, the recent ceremony in favor of Ted Williams, who played a year for the minor league San Diego team back in the 30's.

When you see the Sunday ceremonies honoring the military, camo uniforms aside, you can kind of squint your eyes and pretend you are an extra in the Robert Redford baseball movie, "The Natural" (which was largely filmed in the old War Memorial baseball stadium in Buffalo, New York). That is not a bad feeling; in fact, it's a good feeling. There is much in current life that is confusing and disconcerting; baseball doesn't change, other than that illegitimate Designated Hitter rule from the 70's.

Last edited by Raider Disliker; 07-18-2016 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: Deal with bowdlerization
Old 07-18-2016, 09:53 PM
Learn to THINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Disliker View Post
I will say this: my teenager son persuaded me to attend a couple of Padres' games at Petco over the July 4th weekend, and considering that the Padres are consistently about a .400 team, management does an amazing job of creating a festive atmosphere at games, such that you are attending a kind of party where the action on the field is almost secondary.

Professional sports is equal parts athleticism and show business entertainment (which is why the Big Leagues are referred to as "The Show"). To take a team that is a consistent cellar dweller and turn it into a kind of civic asset is, metaphorically speaking, like spinning straw into gold.

I may be unduly forgiving because I have followed the team since its year of origin, 1969, and the current game is wrapped in a certain gauze of nostalgia; love for the Krocs, and for Jerry Coleman, whom I would listen to on the radio when I was a lad. Things like incorporating the over century old Western Metals Building into the stadium is a shrewd bid to marry the new players and the new game to the old traditions. Hence, the recent ceremony in favor of Ted Williams, who played a year for the minor league San Diego team back in the 30's.

When you see the Sunday ceremonies honoring the military, camo uniforms aside, you can kind of squint your eyes and pretend you are an extra in the Robert Redford baseball movie, "The Natural" (which was largely filmed in the old War Memorial baseball stadium in Buffalo, New York). That is not a bad feeling; in fact, it's a good feeling. There is much in current life that is confusing and disconcerting; baseball doesn't change, other than that illegitimate Designated Hitter rule from the 70's.
EXCELLENT POST!!

Not only is it nominated, but you are also hereby awarded a bolt , and a helmet.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:30 AM
Hall of Famer

Does baseball have any kind of continuity these days? No. Teams rosters change often, even during the season. Major League baseball teams are nothing but a revolving door of players now. If X does well and that team is tanking...trade X and get Y Y Y for him and hope that produces. Rinse and repeat until you get lucky. Then hold a fire sale.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:35 PM
Hall of Famer

July 26th. Padres leading the BlueJays 6-4, 12th inning, 1 out. Two more outs and the Padres win. Long story short, the bases get loaded. An infield hit not hard enough to get the double play, a run scores. 6-5 Padres. Runners at the corners. Another walk and the bases get loaded again. TIME TO BRING IN ANOTHER CLOSER. Pitcher walks in a run. 6-6 tie, bases still loaded. Next batter.... two pitches later, a wild throw and the winning run comes home. BlueJays win 7-6.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:09 PM
Hall of Famer

Kemp traded in the middle of a game last night. Weird...