Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Ownership, Management & Coaching
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2016, 07:56 AM
When all else fails

Woodhead actually ran the ball effectively, it's just a different kind of effective than Gordon. MG punishes the defense whereas Woody avoids contact and goes down rather easily. When you have the type of lead we had going into the 2nd half, the LAST thing they should have done is to stop the I formation running game with Watt and MG. They could have come out and punished them the entire 3rd Q with that duo and by the 4th Q, the Chiefs would have been done....especially in week 1.

Woody and the shotgun is the finesse crap we have come to know and hate under MM. We FINALLY have a RB/FB duo who can punish teams and we go back to finesse!!!! Ask LT and Lo about finesse over pounding.

Last edited by BoltBacker4Life; 09-14-2016 at 08:58 AM..
Old 09-14-2016, 08:09 AM
Bahama Bolt Man

This may sound harsh, but in all honesty. It's going to take an injury to Woody for San Diego to do what they should do, and that is commit to more fb sets and run Gordon, and keep him in the game on passing downs. How is he going to prove his pass pro and catching abilities if Woodhead is always the guy on the field. Melvin Gordon is a big, strong, fast and shifty back. he can be so good on a team willing to commit to him.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:53 AM
Hall of Famer

From what I see, Woodhead does avoid contact so his runs either gets stuffed, OR goes for 6-10+ yards. Hence why his ypc is significantly higher. Gordon on the other hand, hadn't gotten stuffed, but most of his runs are 3-9 yards. The type to wear down defenses. Two completely different RBs
Old 09-14-2016, 09:27 AM
Hall of Famer

Someone needs to be committed.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:02 AM
Hall of Famer

I guess when they made the game plan, they didn't expect MG to score twice and be up 21-3 or whatever.

You should be able to make calls on the fly depending on whats going on in the game at the time.

Where is the burial site?
Old 09-14-2016, 10:08 AM
波動拳 Hadōken

I guess that's why scored 2 TDs. They told him he's only getting X amount of carries. Next game we should tell him he's only getting 12 carries...now make to most out of it.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:09 AM
Moderator of Delusions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padres15 View Post
In week one they had 36 pass attempts to 32 rush attempts. They ran the ball at 4.8 yards per carry. With that kind of YPA and that big of a lead there is no reason for there to have been more pass attempts than rush attempts. IF they prove they can continue to run the ball effectively then I think we'll see an extremely balanced offense that leans on the run game to eat up clock and control the time of possession. With Allen down there isn't really anyone who gets open quickly and consistently making for easy completions in the passing game. More than ever they'll need to use the run game and play action to open up the passing game.
We have a QB who is usually pretty good with the ball in his hands, and better than the run talent we have. I'm not surprised by the numbers, especially considering this is a passing league. What's unfortunate to me is not that they seemingly got away from what they were doing in first, but that PR wasn't as sharp and that they couldn't get much of anything to work in the second half.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The best Offense is a good Defense.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:13 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Bolted View Post
We have a QB who is usually pretty good with the ball in his hands, and better than the run talent we have
Quote:
. I'm not surprised by the numbers, especially considering this is a passing league. What's unfortunate to me is not that they seemingly got away from what they were doing in first, but that PR wasn't as sharp and that they couldn't get much of anything to work in the second half.
U sure about that? we played for OT with ball in hand, 1 min on the clock and a time out at the end of the game. That doesnt say much about the HC, the QB or the team in general.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:17 AM
Moderator of Delusions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dha View Post
[B]

U sure about that? we played for OT with ball in hand, 1 min on the clock and a time out at the end of the game. That doesnt say much about the HC, the QB or the team in general.

I didn't say he was perfect. In fact he was off a bit.
This game was lost similar to a number of last years games, one or two plays making the difference. So perhaps that says more about the HC, QB, or the team in general

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The best Offense is a good Defense.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:23 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
I didn't say he was perfect. In fact he was off a bit.
This game was lost similar to a number of last years games, one or two plays making the difference. So perhaps that says more about the HC, QB, or the team in general
'off a bit'? it seems we're always coming up short of those one-two plays making the difference. That shortcomings has been pretty consistent if you ask me.