Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 11:16 AM
Hall of Famer

The problem is the OLine and the play calling and the coaches inability to make adjustments

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Biggest Fan
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:22 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestfan View Post
The problem is the OLine and the play calling and the coaches inability to make adjustments
These are all less critical problems. The biggest problem is Rivers himself committing colossal blunders game after game.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:23 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat4477 View Post
These are all less critical problems. The biggest problem is Rivers himself committing colossal blunders game after game.
He played bad. He forced it. The OLine broke down. We made no adjustments to the play book.

Biggest Fan
Old 11-14-2016, 11:45 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestfan View Post
He played bad. He forced it. The OLine broke down. We made no adjustments to the play book.
I'll be the first to say I don't care for a lot of Whiz's placalling, but what about all those audibles Rivers called? Rivers audibled out of a lot of the called plays, and it still didn't work much of the time. No, the main issue is Rivers forcing the rock into coverage MULTIPLE times. Sorry, time to draft his replacement.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:54 AM
When all else fails

Let's put this brutal truth into perspective. Here are the QBs who started for the Chargers after Fouts retired and before Brees (who really only had a good year and a half). Maybe this will change your mind about replacing Rivers when he still has a good 3-4 years in him

Mark Malone
Babe Laufenberg
Mark Vlasic
Jim McMahon
Billy Joe Toliver
John Friez
Stan Humphries
Bob Gagliano
Gale Gilbert
Sean Salisbury
Craig Wilihan
Jim Everett
Ryan Leaf
Jim Harbaugh
Moses Marino
Doug Flutie
Old 11-14-2016, 12:17 PM
Learn to THINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltBacker4Life View Post
Let's put this brutal truth into perspective. Here are the QBs who started for the Chargers after Fouts retired and before Brees (who really only had a good year and a half). Maybe this will change your mind about replacing Rivers when he still has a good 3-4 years in him

Mark Malone
Babe Laufenberg
Mark Vlasic
Jim McMahon
Billy Joe Toliver
John Friez
Stan Humphries
Bob Gagliano
Gale Gilbert
Sean Salisbury
Craig Wilihan
Jim Everett
Ryan Leaf
Jim Harbaugh
Moses Marino
Doug Flutie
Here's my take:

1) You are right that there are few QB prospects who legitimately pan out.

2) And frankly, it seems like a crap shoot. Dak wasn't just drafted in the 4th round -- he was the 37th pick in the 4th! Meantime, look at Wentz (who has come back to Earth), and Goff [gasp!], who went #1 and #2 overall.

3) Unless you strike absolute gold (Brady; Manning, and maybe a few other actives), you're going to need to rely on a ground game and a defense - with a "serviceable" QB.

4) Teams that go with #3 can be successful -- including winning SB's. I don't think that's debatable at this point.

5) Given the sorry state of our roster (we've made huge improvements with our young D players, but we still need DL [Mebane's old and just tore his bicep]; DBs [a given]; OL [more than one]; and WRs [like you said, we didn't have a single drafted player to target for the majority of our snaps last Sunday]; I think it's time we go with the #3 model.

6) I think that's appropriate whether you believe Rivers is a top-5 QB; or whether you think he's middle of the road. Our model hasn't worked, whether it's Rivers' fault or not. If we can get a couple of 1sts, or some other good haul, I'd use it to help rebuild our roster through the draft. The salary dump would also give us a big haul in cap space, helping us to rebuild the roster through FA, as well.

7) I believe that with this extra shot-in-the-arm, our Defense could be elite as soon as next year if we choose wisely. Add the beefed up O-Line, and go ahead and enter the QB lottery, but knowing that we will not be relying on our new signal caller to carry the team.

p.s. I know this isn't a "trade Rivers" thread, but this seemed like the right place to put my overall conclusion about our QB situation. Hit me with a fish if you like.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:43 PM
When all else fails

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
Here's my take:

2) And frankly, it seems like a crap shoot. Dak wasn't just drafted in the 4th round -- he was the 37th pick in the 4th! Meantime, look at Wentz (who has come back to Earth), and Goff [gasp!], who went #1 and #2 overall.

3) Unless you strike absolute gold (Brady; Manning, and maybe a few other actives), you're going to need to rely on a ground game and a defense - with a "serviceable" QB.

4) Teams that go with #3 can be successful -- including winning SB's. I don't think that's debatable at this point.

5) Given the sorry state of our roster (we've made huge improvements with our young D players, but we still need DL [Mebane's old and just tore his bicep]; DBs [a given]; OL [more than one]; and WRs [like you said, we didn't have a single drafted player to target for the majority of our snaps last Sunday]; I think it's time we go with the #3 model.

6) I think that's appropriate whether you believe Rivers is a top-5 QB; or whether you think he's middle of the road. Our model hasn't worked, whether it's Rivers' fault or not. If we can get a couple of 1sts, or some other good haul, I'd use it to help rebuild our roster through the draft. The salary dump would also give us a big haul in cap space, helping us to rebuild the roster through FA, as well.

7) I believe that with this extra shot-in-the-arm, our Defense could be elite as soon as next year if we choose wisely. Add the beefed up O-Line, and go ahead and enter the QB lottery, but knowing that we will not be relying on our new signal caller to carry the team.

p.s. I know this isn't a "trade Rivers" thread, but this seemed like the right place to put my overall conclusion about our QB situation. Hit me with a fish if you like.
Nice post....
Old 11-14-2016, 01:08 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
Here's my take:

I'd be surprised if anyone would give up 2 #1's for PR at this stage of his career. Is that realistic?
Old 11-14-2016, 01:16 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

It's "obvious" to anyone that knows a thing about football that Rivers is the reason we're losing.

Let's trade him for two #1 draft picks. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

COME ON, MAN!

Los Angeles Super Chargers!
Old 11-14-2016, 01:19 PM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
It's "obvious" to anyone that knows a thing about football that Rivers is the reason we're losing.

Let's trade him for two #1 draft picks. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

COME ON, MAN!
Since no one will give us that, ever, can we go back to torturing the strength and conditioning coach ?
Closed Thread