Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11-14-2016, 11:16 AM
biggestfan biggestfan is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: south daytona
Posts: 14,383
Default

The problem is the OLine and the play calling and the coaches inability to make adjustments
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Biggest Fan
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #22  
Old 11-14-2016, 11:22 AM
topcat4477's Avatar
topcat4477 topcat4477 is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Central Valley, Calif.
Posts: 5,551
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestfan View Post
The problem is the OLine and the play calling and the coaches inability to make adjustments
These are all less critical problems. The biggest problem is Rivers himself committing colossal blunders game after game.
__________________
Okung - Slauson - Pulley - Feeney - Lamp
  #23  
Old 11-14-2016, 11:23 AM
biggestfan biggestfan is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: south daytona
Posts: 14,383
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat4477 View Post
These are all less critical problems. The biggest problem is Rivers himself committing colossal blunders game after game.
He played bad. He forced it. The OLine broke down. We made no adjustments to the play book.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Biggest Fan
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #24  
Old 11-14-2016, 11:45 AM
topcat4477's Avatar
topcat4477 topcat4477 is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Central Valley, Calif.
Posts: 5,551
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestfan View Post
He played bad. He forced it. The OLine broke down. We made no adjustments to the play book.
I'll be the first to say I don't care for a lot of Whiz's placalling, but what about all those audibles Rivers called? Rivers audibled out of a lot of the called plays, and it still didn't work much of the time. No, the main issue is Rivers forcing the rock into coverage MULTIPLE times. Sorry, time to draft his replacement.
__________________
Okung - Slauson - Pulley - Feeney - Lamp
  #25  
Old 11-14-2016, 11:54 AM
BoltBacker4Life's Avatar
BoltBacker4Life BoltBacker4Life is offline
When all else fails
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Back at Dekk's moms house
Posts: 22,291
Default

Let's put this brutal truth into perspective. Here are the QBs who started for the Chargers after Fouts retired and before Brees (who really only had a good year and a half). Maybe this will change your mind about replacing Rivers when he still has a good 3-4 years in him

Mark Malone
Babe Laufenberg
Mark Vlasic
Jim McMahon
Billy Joe Toliver
John Friez
Stan Humphries
Bob Gagliano
Gale Gilbert
Sean Salisbury
Craig Wilihan
Jim Everett
Ryan Leaf
Jim Harbaugh
Moses Marino
Doug Flutie
__________________
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  #26  
Old 11-14-2016, 12:17 PM
LongTimeOCBolts's Avatar
LongTimeOCBolts LongTimeOCBolts is offline
Learn to THINK
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lots of different places
Posts: 18,916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltBacker4Life View Post
Let's put this brutal truth into perspective. Here are the QBs who started for the Chargers after Fouts retired and before Brees (who really only had a good year and a half). Maybe this will change your mind about replacing Rivers when he still has a good 3-4 years in him

Mark Malone
Babe Laufenberg
Mark Vlasic
Jim McMahon
Billy Joe Toliver
John Friez
Stan Humphries
Bob Gagliano
Gale Gilbert
Sean Salisbury
Craig Wilihan
Jim Everett
Ryan Leaf
Jim Harbaugh
Moses Marino
Doug Flutie
Here's my take:

1) You are right that there are few QB prospects who legitimately pan out.

2) And frankly, it seems like a crap shoot. Dak wasn't just drafted in the 4th round -- he was the 37th pick in the 4th! Meantime, look at Wentz (who has come back to Earth), and Goff [gasp!], who went #1 and #2 overall.

3) Unless you strike absolute gold (Brady; Manning, and maybe a few other actives), you're going to need to rely on a ground game and a defense - with a "serviceable" QB.

4) Teams that go with #3 can be successful -- including winning SB's. I don't think that's debatable at this point.

5) Given the sorry state of our roster (we've made huge improvements with our young D players, but we still need DL [Mebane's old and just tore his bicep]; DBs [a given]; OL [more than one]; and WRs [like you said, we didn't have a single drafted player to target for the majority of our snaps last Sunday]; I think it's time we go with the #3 model.

6) I think that's appropriate whether you believe Rivers is a top-5 QB; or whether you think he's middle of the road. Our model hasn't worked, whether it's Rivers' fault or not. If we can get a couple of 1sts, or some other good haul, I'd use it to help rebuild our roster through the draft. The salary dump would also give us a big haul in cap space, helping us to rebuild the roster through FA, as well.

7) I believe that with this extra shot-in-the-arm, our Defense could be elite as soon as next year if we choose wisely. Add the beefed up O-Line, and go ahead and enter the QB lottery, but knowing that we will not be relying on our new signal caller to carry the team.

p.s. I know this isn't a "trade Rivers" thread, but this seemed like the right place to put my overall conclusion about our QB situation. Hit me with a fish if you like.
__________________
"Science!!" lol


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #27  
Old 11-14-2016, 12:43 PM
BoltBacker4Life's Avatar
BoltBacker4Life BoltBacker4Life is offline
When all else fails
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Back at Dekk's moms house
Posts: 22,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
Here's my take:

1) You are right that there are few QB prospects who legitimately pan out.

2) And frankly, it seems like a crap shoot. Dak wasn't just drafted in the 4th round -- he was the 37th pick in the 4th! Meantime, look at Wentz (who has come back to Earth), and Goff [gasp!], who went #1 and #2 overall.

3) Unless you strike absolute gold (Brady; Manning, and maybe a few other actives), you're going to need to rely on a ground game and a defense - with a "serviceable" QB.

4) Teams that go with #3 can be successful -- including winning SB's. I don't think that's debatable at this point.

5) Given the sorry state of our roster (we've made huge improvements with our young D players, but we still need DL [Mebane's old and just tore his bicep]; DBs [a given]; OL [more than one]; and WRs [like you said, we didn't have a single drafted player to target for the majority of our snaps last Sunday]; I think it's time we go with the #3 model.

6) I think that's appropriate whether you believe Rivers is a top-5 QB; or whether you think he's middle of the road. Our model hasn't worked, whether it's Rivers' fault or not. If we can get a couple of 1sts, or some other good haul, I'd use it to help rebuild our roster through the draft. The salary dump would also give us a big haul in cap space, helping us to rebuild the roster through FA, as well.

7) I believe that with this extra shot-in-the-arm, our Defense could be elite as soon as next year if we choose wisely. Add the beefed up O-Line, and go ahead and enter the QB lottery, but knowing that we will not be relying on our new signal caller to carry the team.

p.s. I know this isn't a "trade Rivers" thread, but this seemed like the right place to put my overall conclusion about our QB situation. Hit me with a fish if you like.
Nice post....
__________________
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  #28  
Old 11-14-2016, 01:08 PM
The Moekid's Avatar
The Moekid The Moekid is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 32,249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
Here's my take:

1) You are right that there are few QB prospects who legitimately pan out.

2) And frankly, it seems like a crap shoot. Dak wasn't just drafted in the 4th round -- he was the 37th pick in the 4th! Meantime, look at Wentz (who has come back to Earth), and Goff [gasp!], who went #1 and #2 overall.

3) Unless you strike absolute gold (Brady; Manning, and maybe a few other actives), you're going to need to rely on a ground game and a defense - with a "serviceable" QB.

4) Teams that go with #3 can be successful -- including winning SB's. I don't think that's debatable at this point.

5) Given the sorry state of our roster (we've made huge improvements with our young D players, but we still need DL [Mebane's old and just tore his bicep]; DBs [a given]; OL [more than one]; and WRs [like you said, we didn't have a single drafted player to target for the majority of our snaps last Sunday]; I think it's time we go with the #3 model.

6) I think that's appropriate whether you believe Rivers is a top-5 QB; or whether you think he's middle of the road. Our model hasn't worked, whether it's Rivers' fault or not. If we can get a couple of 1sts, or some other good haul, I'd use it to help rebuild our roster through the draft. The salary dump would also give us a big haul in cap space, helping us to rebuild the roster through FA, as well.

7) I believe that with this extra shot-in-the-arm, our Defense could be elite as soon as next year if we choose wisely. Add the beefed up O-Line, and go ahead and enter the QB lottery, but knowing that we will not be relying on our new signal caller to carry the team.

p.s. I know this isn't a "trade Rivers" thread, but this seemed like the right place to put my overall conclusion about our QB situation. Hit me with a fish if you like.
I'd be surprised if anyone would give up 2 #1's for PR at this stage of his career. Is that realistic?
  #29  
Old 11-14-2016, 01:16 PM
chargertom's Avatar
chargertom chargertom is offline
Bandwagon Homer Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Richfield
Posts: 71,926
Default

It's "obvious" to anyone that knows a thing about football that Rivers is the reason we're losing.

Let's trade him for two #1 draft picks. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

COME ON, MAN!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Los Angeles Super Chargers!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #30  
Old 11-14-2016, 01:19 PM
Chargerfreak's Avatar
Chargerfreak Chargerfreak is online now
Power of 51
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Intersection of Vodka and Tonic
Posts: 27,196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
It's "obvious" to anyone that knows a thing about football that Rivers is the reason we're losing.

Let's trade him for two #1 draft picks. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

COME ON, MAN!
Since no one will give us that, ever, can we go back to torturing the strength and conditioning coach ?
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:58 AM.


© 2017 Los Angeles Chargers. All Rights Reserved.