Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Is it time to move on from Rivers
Yes 13 32.50%
No 27 67.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 12-12-2016, 09:39 AM
charger1_sj charger1_sj is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Jose
Posts: 35,196
Default

Releasing PR is not a good business option. The cap hit would be $18M the first year, $12M the second and $6M the third.

Trading could be out of the question if we want a 1st rounder and PR does have a no trade clause.

The team is no where near ready to compete for a championship and QBs don't grow on trees. You bite the bullet keep him and look for potential QBs in the draft. In the mean time continue to build up the team. It's possible to win a championship without a franchise QB if the rest of the team is great. We're at least 2-3 years out and that assumes our young guys don't go to IR every year. By then PR would have retired.
__________________
Did you think it was over?
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-12-2016, 09:39 AM
The Moekid's Avatar
The Moekid The Moekid is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 32,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper31 View Post
What's the succession plan ? (Rhetorical question)

If the question is, "Is this the right time to move on from Rivers" ? The answer is no. That ship already sailed. The right time, would have been in the '15 offseason, when there was a chance to pull off a trade for a draft pick that would have scored our QB of the future. Instead we extended the guy who was on the wrong side of 30, past his prime and never very mobile to begin with, all in exchange for a few more losing seasons. On top of it we give the guy a no trade clause along with his extension.

Why ? It was a business decision of course. Ownership figured they were gonna be in Carson this year, and wasn't gonna take the chance of trying to enter a new market with the possibility of the next Jamarcus Russell, Sam Bradford or Ryan Leaf at the helm. With Rivers at least they knew what they were gonna be trying to sell tickets with.

The same reason why McCoy is still here. Save the new coach for the new market. You think they don't know he's not their guy of the future ?

Things like this are a big reason why I am boycotting the NFL. Business decisions will always swing much more weight than whatever happens on the field. Fans watch football because they love the competitive sport, they don't give a damn about the business part of it, and more and more the NFL is showing that it is a business that just happens to be involved with competitive sports.
I don't buy this. They love Rivers and think he gives them the best chance at winning. As for McCoy, they will probably point to the injuries and keep him around. They stuck with Norv for years after his expiration date. It's just their way.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-12-2016, 09:49 AM
marion butts's Avatar
marion butts marion butts is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Queens
Posts: 16,182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moekid View Post
I don't buy this. They love Rivers and think he gives them the best chance at winning. As for McCoy, they will probably point to the injuries and keep him around. They stuck with Norv for years after his expiration date. It's just their way.
and i dont buy this. Hard to fire Norv after 2009 when he went 13-3. Hard to fire Norv in 2010 when he had the #1 offense. I'd say after 2011 he should've been fired, so we are looking at 1 year late.

As for their way, what coach have they stuck with too long?
They've had 3 coaches with winning records and they've only lasted 6,5 and 5 years. The rest of the coaches they have hired haven't lasted more than 3 years besides Mccoy. He will be fired after this year.
__________________
"Being a Charger fan is tough.. It's sad actually"

-Mario Lopez
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-12-2016, 09:56 AM
chopper31's Avatar
chopper31 chopper31 is offline
<<< EPIC Mug Shot
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: ...
Posts: 10,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moekid View Post
I don't buy this. They love Rivers and think he gives them the best chance at winning. As for McCoy, they will probably point to the injuries and keep him around. They stuck with Norv for years after his expiration date. It's just their way.
Don't forget (I know you didn't), that they spent a bit of time with Mariotta prior to the draft. It was at least under consideration.

"Rivers gives them the best chance to win" is such a cliche statement. Throw it right up there with "He has done more with less than any other QB". He gives the best chance out of who ? Anyone, or the unknown draft prospect ?

BTW, he hasn't done too well with the winning thing either. 51-58 over the last 7 seasons, no better than a 9-7 record and only one playoff appearance as a 6th seed. I wanna know how that is more than others are doing with less, as well...
__________________
Quote:
the Pats cheated, got 4 rings... good for them... we cheated and got 2 rings... yay for us!...

i like that my franchise will do whatever it takes to win, and if all they get is a slap on the hand for it in return, more power to them...
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-12-2016, 10:04 AM
The Moekid's Avatar
The Moekid The Moekid is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 32,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper31 View Post
Don't forget (I know you didn't), that they spent a bit of time with Mariotta prior to the draft. It was at least under consideration.

"Rivers gives them the best chance to win" is such a cliche statement. Throw it right up there with "He has done more with less than any other QB". He gives the best chance out of who ? Anyone, or the unknown draft prospect ?

BTW, he hasn't done too well with the winning thing either. 51-58 over the last 7 seasons, no better than a 9-7 record and only one playoff appearance as a 6th seed. I wanna know how that is more than others are doing with less, as well...
I liked the idea of taking Mariota (as you may recall). I'm not sure it was Tenn or the Chargers who wouldn't move forward with that. But I don't agree with the "business" part of your analysis. I don't give the Chargers FO any credit for being business savvy.

Also, it's the Chargers that believe Rivers is the best option. By the way, click over to the other thread. Before the last 2 weeks there were plenty of people fitting him for a HOF jacket.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-12-2016, 10:04 AM
ltinabottle ltinabottle is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Murrieta
Posts: 2,460
Default

Ideally it be sweet if this team can draft a mid round pick and develop him under Rivers to be the heir apparent. Part of this is good scouting and just being lucky.

It's early in his development, but the Cowboys seem to strike gold with drafting Dak Prescott. Redskins are proven to be pretty smart in drafting Kirk Cousins mid round.

I'd agree draft a QB with talent who needs seasoning under Rivers. Your right in saying it's past his prime to trade him and as mentioned he has the no trade clause. That's the thing he has been given the keys to this Air Coryell like offense for about a decade. I think he is getting a bit comfortable out there, throwing for milestones and records..yet under his tenure we haven't really contend as a team since 2013.

I think it's a combination of giving Rivers consistent protection, coaching him up and emphasizing the run game for balance. I think getting key players such as new talent on the offensive line and Keenan Allen would add to Rivers efficiency. Should the repeated string of turnovers occur again in critical situations next year...I wouldn't trade him, I'd sit him to let him know the magnitude of his mistakes.

At his best, an efficient and accurate Rivers can still win games. Asking him to be a gunslinger is tough cause he still wants to compete and win games via his arm, ...I just think he now hurts the team more than help when asking him to take over a games.

Go Bolts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper31 View Post
What's the succession plan ? (Rhetorical question)

If the question is, "Is this the right time to move on from Rivers" ? The answer is no. That ship already sailed. The right time, would have been in the '15 offseason, when there was a chance to pull off a trade for a draft pick that would have scored our QB of the future. Instead we extended the guy who was on the wrong side of 30, past his prime and never very mobile to begin with, all in exchange for a few more losing seasons. On top of it we give the guy a no trade clause along with his extension.

Why ? It was a business decision of course. Ownership figured they were gonna be in Carson this year, and wasn't gonna take the chance of trying to enter a new market with the possibility of the next Jamarcus Russell, Sam Bradford or Ryan Leaf at the helm. With Rivers at least they knew what they were gonna be trying to sell tickets with.

The same reason why McCoy is still here. Save the new coach for the new market. You think they don't know he's not their guy of the future ?

Things like this are a big reason why I am boycotting the NFL. Business decisions will always swing much more weight than whatever happens on the field. Fans watch football because they love the competitive sport, they don't give a damn about the business part of it, and more and more the NFL is showing that it is a business that just happens to be involved with competitive sports.

Anyway, back to the subject question...you have to move on from everyone eventually, but how you move on requires some type of strategy. What are the current options ?

Release him, take whatever cap hit and just draft whoever is available mid first round ?

Hope to land a replacement in Free agency ? (Good luck with that)

Look for a trade ? First and foremost, there is the no trade clause to dance around, so Rivers needs to be on board or it's not happening. The Titans trade was a rare opportunity, as most teams in that situation would prefer to draft the young QB. They just happened to be an aimless organization with no Ownership in place, and a HC at the time who had a history with Rivers. That situation is about as rare as they come. Will there be a team with a top 3 pick that is already set at QB this year, looking to trade down ? If they are indeed set at QB, than who/what do we trade away ? Is there even a prospect coming out that we would want to target ? (I have no idea).

The bottom line is whether it's now, or a few years from now, the transition probably isn't gonna be pretty. So if anyone out there is thinking we need to make a change now, for immediate impact, you're fooling yourself. Ultimately this discussion is all for naught anyway, because as stated above, a business decision from Ownership is what will determine when it's time to move on...
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-12-2016, 10:05 AM
The Moekid's Avatar
The Moekid The Moekid is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 32,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marion butts View Post
and i dont buy this. Hard to fire Norv after 2009 when he went 13-3. Hard to fire Norv in 2010 when he had the #1 offense. I'd say after 2011 he should've been fired, so we are looking at 1 year late.

As for their way, what coach have they stuck with too long?
They've had 3 coaches with winning records and they've only lasted 6,5 and 5 years. The rest of the coaches they have hired haven't lasted more than 3 years besides Mccoy. He will be fired after this year.
You sure about that?
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-12-2016, 10:07 AM
marion butts's Avatar
marion butts marion butts is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Queens
Posts: 16,182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moekid View Post
You sure about that?
positive.
__________________
"Being a Charger fan is tough.. It's sad actually"

-Mario Lopez
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-12-2016, 12:42 PM
LongTimeOCBolts's Avatar
LongTimeOCBolts LongTimeOCBolts is online now
Learn to THINK
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lots of different places
Posts: 18,781
Default

My bold prediction:

Rivers waives his no-trade clause. We get a 1st from somebody for sending him over.

We pick up Tyrod Taylor to start next year; and draft a 3d round QB.

TT starts next year, and by late-season, he and the rook have a battle for the spot.

You heard it here first. When it happens give me a friendly
__________________
Costa Mesa Liaison

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.” Thomas Sowell
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12-12-2016, 12:54 PM
The Moekid's Avatar
The Moekid The Moekid is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 32,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
My bold prediction:

Rivers waives his no-trade clause. We get a 1st from somebody for sending him over.

We pick up Tyrod Taylor to start next year; and draft a 3d round QB.

TT starts next year, and by late-season, he and the rook have a battle for the spot.

You heard it here first. When it happens give me a friendly
It looks like Cleveland, JAX and the 49ers have the first three picks. All need QBs. Are you thinking of one of them?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:06 PM.


© 2017 Los Angeles Chargers. All Rights Reserved.