Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Is it time to move on from Rivers
Yes 13 32.50%
No 27 67.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 12-12-2016, 01:53 PM
LongTimeOCBolts's Avatar
LongTimeOCBolts LongTimeOCBolts is offline
Learn to THINK
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lots of different places
Posts: 18,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper31 View Post
I've never been to Jacksonville myself, but if it's anything like Orlando it gets a ton of rain and is unbearably hot/humid during the summer. The winters are not as warm as most assume either.

Just sayin'. Not that I think things like that will factor into the decision.

The fact that Jacksonville has pretty much been irrelevant for its entire existence and travels to London each year for at least 1 game may be a much bigger detrerant.

What is the contract situation with Bortles, anyone know ?
First, please keep the negatives under your hat.

We're gonna be making a pitch here, so shhhhhhh

Second, the boldest part of the prediction was that we go with Tyrod in the short term, then let him battle it out with our new draft pick in round 3. (the question of where Rivers lands is a tiny piece -- though the fact that Norv will join him was, of course, sheer brilliance).
__________________
Costa Mesa Ain't Playin . . . . .





To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 12-12-2016, 01:55 PM
chopper31's Avatar
chopper31 chopper31 is offline
<<< LA's finest football
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: ...
Posts: 10,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moekid View Post
It looks like Cleveland, JAX and the 49ers have the first three picks. All need QBs. Are you thinking of one of them?
Are any of them a QB away from being a real team ? (I have no idea)

If not, they probably won't be interested in an expensive and aging vet, that'll only give them a couple years of service. They might trade away their pick to accumulate more picks, but not to get Rivers. That Mariotta opportunity was a rare one for sure. No Owner in place, and a HC on the hot seat wanting to reunite with someone who could hopefully save his ***.

Trading for the pick probably wouldn't be a good deal for us, if Rivers' contract isn't unloaded as part of the deal. Right ? Excessive cap space would be taken up and we would have to trade away picks (we could probably really use) in order to move up...
__________________
Quote:
the Pats cheated, got 4 rings... good for them... we cheated and got 2 rings... yay for us!...

i like that my franchise will do whatever it takes to win, and if all they get is a slap on the hand for it in return, more power to them...
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 12-12-2016, 02:25 PM
charger1_sj charger1_sj is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Jose
Posts: 35,196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper31 View Post
I've never been to Jacksonville myself, but if it's anything like Orlando it gets a ton of rain and is unbearably hot/humid during the summer. The winters are not as warm as most assume either.

Just sayin'. Not that I think things like that will factor into the decision.

The fact that Jacksonville has pretty much been irrelevant for its entire existence and travels to London each year for at least 1 game may be a much bigger detrerant.

What is the contract situation with Bortles, anyone know ?
Don't know but he's thrown for 15 interceptions, PR has him beat with 17 and PR has thrown more pick 6's.
__________________
Did you think it was over?
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 12-12-2016, 03:07 PM
The Moekid's Avatar
The Moekid The Moekid is online now
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 32,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper31 View Post
Are any of them a QB away from being a real team ? (I have no idea)

If not, they probably won't be interested in an expensive and aging vet, that'll only give them a couple years of service. They might trade away their pick to accumulate more picks, but not to get Rivers. That Mariotta opportunity was a rare one for sure. No Owner in place, and a HC on the hot seat wanting to reunite with someone who could hopefully save his ***.

Trading for the pick probably wouldn't be a good deal for us, if Rivers' contract isn't unloaded as part of the deal. Right ? Excessive cap space would be taken up and we would have to trade away picks (we could probably really use) in order to move up...
was it ever really an opportunity? I don't remember seeing anything about Tenn pursuing the trade. Did they?
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 12-12-2016, 03:53 PM
chopper31's Avatar
chopper31 chopper31 is offline
<<< LA's finest football
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: ...
Posts: 10,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moekid View Post
was it ever really an opportunity? I don't remember seeing anything about Tenn pursuing the trade. Did they?
Who knows ?

I remember there being a lot of stories about it, but it would have been a really dumb move on the Titans part to go through with it. Almost too dumb to be true. Things like that only tend to happen after an Owner passes, and there is nobody to stand in the way (Ex: Hue Jackson trading for Carson Palmer and the Bills GM trading away picks to move up a few spots for Sammy Watkins)
__________________
Quote:
the Pats cheated, got 4 rings... good for them... we cheated and got 2 rings... yay for us!...

i like that my franchise will do whatever it takes to win, and if all they get is a slap on the hand for it in return, more power to them...
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 12-12-2016, 03:55 PM
chopper31's Avatar
chopper31 chopper31 is offline
<<< LA's finest football
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: ...
Posts: 10,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1_sj View Post
Don't know but he's thrown for 15 interceptions, PR has him beat with 17 and PR has thrown more pick 6's.
Bortles is an INT machine.

Unfortunately he just slightly beat out Potatohead for the INT title last year.
__________________
Quote:
the Pats cheated, got 4 rings... good for them... we cheated and got 2 rings... yay for us!...

i like that my franchise will do whatever it takes to win, and if all they get is a slap on the hand for it in return, more power to them...
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 12-12-2016, 03:57 PM
chopper31's Avatar
chopper31 chopper31 is offline
<<< LA's finest football
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: ...
Posts: 10,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
First, please keep the negatives under your hat.

We're gonna be making a pitch here, so shhhhhhh

Second, the boldest part of the prediction was that we go with Tyrod in the short term, then let him battle it out with our new draft pick in round 3. (the question of where Rivers lands is a tiny piece -- though the fact that Norv will join him was, of course, sheer brilliance).
I think Tyrod can succeed on a good enough team. He surely could have won the SB with the Donks last year.
__________________
Quote:
the Pats cheated, got 4 rings... good for them... we cheated and got 2 rings... yay for us!...

i like that my franchise will do whatever it takes to win, and if all they get is a slap on the hand for it in return, more power to them...
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 12-12-2016, 06:42 PM
crittydog's Avatar
crittydog crittydog is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: la mesa
Posts: 5,346
Default

Watching the Ravens @ Patriots
The ball is out so fast with Brady, there is no chance for pass rush to get there. Brady literally catches the snap and fires. He doesn't have a great o-line or great WRs and his only great target the TE Gronk is on IR.
Yet he continues to prove why he is one of the best ever at 39 years old.

Rivers is not that good and never has been even close to that level. If he was, the Chargers would be 10-3 right now.
__________________
1. M.Williams-WR, Clemson
2. F.Lamp-OL, Western Kentucky
3. D.Feeney-OL, Indiana
4. R.Jenkins-S, Miami
5. D.King-DB, Iowa
6. S.Tevi-OT, Utah
7. I.Rochell-DL, Notre Dame
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 12-12-2016, 07:11 PM
Padres15's Avatar
Padres15 Padres15 is offline
Ocean Beach
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Yo mamma's house
Posts: 1,745
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittydog View Post
Watching the Ravens @ Patriots
The ball is out so fast with Brady, there is no chance for pass rush to get there. Brady literally catches the snap and fires. He doesn't have a great o-line or great WRs and his only great target the TE Gronk is on IR.
Yet he continues to prove why he is one of the best ever at 39 years old.

Rivers is not that good and never has been even close to that level. If he was, the Chargers would be 10-3 right now.
Yep. I think it is a pretty fair assessment to say that Rivers is not nor has he ever been as good as one of the two best QB's of all time.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 12-12-2016, 08:43 PM
LongTimeOCBolts's Avatar
LongTimeOCBolts LongTimeOCBolts is offline
Learn to THINK
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lots of different places
Posts: 18,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittydog View Post
Watching the Ravens @ Patriots
The ball is out so fast with Brady, there is no chance for pass rush to get there. Brady literally catches the snap and fires. He doesn't have a great o-line or great WRs and his only great target the TE Gronk is on IR.
Yet he continues to prove why he is one of the best ever at 39 years old.

Rivers is not that good and never has been even close to that level. If he was, the Chargers would be 10-3 right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padres15 View Post
Yep. I think it is a pretty fair assessment to say that Rivers is not nor has he ever been as good as one of the two best QB's of all time.
Cute, but saying that he's "not even close" to that level does sort of imply that there is a space between them wide enough for others to fill, too ----- no?

And keep in mind that that was posted on the same forum that is entertaining a thread about whether PR should go into the HOF. If you are miles behind the best of your competitors, and have no playoff success, or come-from-behind numbers, or a history of winning records -- well, I think it was a fair point for him to have made.
__________________
Costa Mesa Ain't Playin . . . . .





To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:41 PM.


© 2017 Los Angeles Chargers. All Rights Reserved.