Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Is it time to move on from Rivers
Yes 13 32.50%
No 27 67.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2017, 05:07 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack Fan View Post
What do you guys think caused Philip to be so bad this year? Last year he was part of the problem, but it was mostly the offensive line. How did he change this much in one year? All of us were just waiting almost every game this year to see when he threw his next interception. I wish somebody, even if it's just one of the reporters, would come out and ask him what went wrong.
Bad ? He's lucky to be alive behind that line.

33 TD's thrown.

New coach, new line, he's good to go.

(Freak genius backstory for you. In my brilliant brilliant opinion, I don't think Rivers liked McCoy. He'll never admit it, but that is your Freak Hunch of the day.)
Old 01-02-2017, 07:56 AM
Moderator of the Trenches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
Bad ? He's lucky to be alive behind that line.

33 TD's thrown.

New coach, new line, he's good to go.

(Freak genius backstory for you. In my brilliant brilliant opinion, I don't think Rivers liked McCoy. He'll never admit it, but that is your Freak Hunch of the day.)
Bull. That's part of the Freak story and you know it.

Rivers is capable of beast mode. Throws passes only about 10 or 15 guys can make.

Big difference is his inability to NOT throw it to the other team. Don't give me this pressure, playing from behind crap.

He has thrown a lot of picks this year within 1 score and a huge pocket. That is why he isn't at the highest level. He's still just a big stat guy who makes the big mistakes.

Our new coaches need to work on this, perhaps some uniform identification drills?
Old 01-02-2017, 08:04 AM
Hall of Famer

I like the Saying " do your Job", Coaches coach and players play. If Rivers was not so much involved in telling our WR and RB how to do their Job, Rivers would could focus more on his job.

When you look at Patriots offense it's always the same in passing game, they just plug in new guy and boom, They get same production. When Welker left most thought they would suffer. If OL was good enough to call their own protection, Rivers would be faster and could release the ball quicker to th open player. We use to have that one play to Gates that was unstoppable, just like the short quick pass to Welker/Edeleman that always seems to save the drive. Especially in crunch time.

Sometimes to much shifting, changing plays is hard for our Average players.
Brady is 25TD/2int and has healthy OL because defenses know the ball will be out fast and probably short. Which make blitzing LB have to focus more on Edelman or RB in Backfield instead of unloading on the OL.
Thats why Norvs System needs a great OL and RB WR.

Rivers has to many jobs due to the lack of good coaching.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:18 AM
Hall of Famer

Under Whisenhunt's 1st year, the Chargers played the Broncos on Thursday night. A memorable game with Rivers throwing two td's to Keenan Allen and Ryan Matthews running down the left sideline for another. Rivers was efficient that night throwing for a mere 180-200 yards in a sound win over Denver Broncos. The Chargers committed to the run with power runs and two tight ends in running situations.

Turnovers we're minimal....Allen was able to take the short throws for td's a definite playmaker and the offensive line led under Hardwick blocked well that night. I love Allen's play but can we rely on him? Maybe we need to draft a receiver of his same skill set and draft talented offensive line to compete the summer.

Has Rivers regressed that much to say hey change the offensive coordinator or shall we promote him to HC? It's still the same system with Whisenhunt running the show.

Who else would you want to take Ken's place? Mike Martz resides locally in SD and makes guest radio appearances on the mighty 1090. Perhaps he may be interested in offering another perspective. This all depends ultimately who we hire as head coach.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:25 AM
Hall of Famer

There should be an "Other" option in the Poll.

Rivers is our QB and should be for the next couple years but it is certainly time to start looking into a successor. Be it in the draft or through Trade, we need some competition in here to not only develop behind Phil but possibly pressure his job security, just a little.

Round 1 Pick 7: Jonathan Allen, DT, Alabama
Round 2 Pick 6: Patrick Mahomes II, QB, Texas Tech
Round 3 Pick 7: Amara Darboh, WR, Michigan
Round 4 Pick 6: J.J. Dielman, OT, Utah
Round 5 Pick 7: Marquez White, CB, Florida State
Round 6 Pick 6: Jamaal Williams, RB, Brigham Young
Round 7 Pick 7: Kareem Are, OG, Florida State

UDFA
Kai Nacua, FS, Brigham Young
Jordan Evans, ILB, Oklahoma
Storm Norton, OT, Toledo
T.J. Logan, RB, UNC
Old 01-02-2017, 09:46 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacstud22 View Post
Bull. That's part of the Freak story and you know it.

Rivers is capable of beast mode. Throws passes only about 10 or 15 guys can make.

Big difference is his inability to NOT throw it to the other team. Don't give me this pressure, playing from behind crap.

He has thrown a lot of picks this year within 1 score and a huge pocket. That is why he isn't at the highest level. He's still just a big stat guy who makes the big mistakes.

Our new coaches need to work on this, perhaps some uniform identification drills?
Off to a bad New Year there Mod ?

(holy tomatoes)

I assume you are on the Rivers Hall of Fame committee ?

OH I KNOW. You want to know what shape we are in WITHOUT Rivers.

Kellen Clemens mod. We are in Kellen Clemens shape currently.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:31 PM
Veteran

Rivers is very good, one of the best pure passers as far as reading defenses and accuracy and QB smarts.

However, there are some things he does poorly. He has no mobility to make plays outside the pocket, which limits what plays the offense can have in its playbook and what the defenses have to worry about.

He is also prone to interceptions, fumbles on sacks too often, and is not good in pressure and/or late game situations.

You add it all up and Rivers is too often outplayed by the opposing team's QB. He is not as much in the upper tier as some would think.

I love him as the Chargers QB, there is no one I'd rather see win a Super Bowl, but realistically a new and improved QB needs to be on the wish list.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:57 PM
Hall of Famer

Rivers has got to be the least mobile guy in the league. Hoping our next Qb can throw accurately, is smart, and can get that first down when needed ala derek carr, Rodgers, etc. shoot, even Kirk Cousins.

Food for thought, u think we would have had a better year or won more games this year with Cousins at the helm? Id say yes.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:05 AM
Hall of Famer

Tom posted this in another thread...

Eric Weddle during Pro Bowl week:

"I'll give you guys a really inside story. It happened two nights ago. We were all hanging out at the bar. It was me, Philip, Bobby Wagner, Von Miller, Harrison Smith and a couple other guys. And Von comes up - and we're just talking about games and experiences - and Von goes on this seven-minute dissertation of how much he loves, respects and admires Philip and thinks he's one of the best quarterbacks in this league.

"And he goes off and says, 'Look who he played with and [he still] beat us!' He's just like, 'That guy right there is amazing.'

"Honestly to players, players know, like, players know you come here, and you could have a couple games … but they know how good you are. Really, at the bottom line, who you play with, what you're playing with, the team, the scheme - they know. So it was a perfect example of one of the best players in this league - [one of] the greatest people - was literally talking to Phil and telling him how much he thinks he's the best quarterback in the league. And he was really being honest about it. It was awesome just to see that."
3rd: Tarell Basham, EDGE, Ohio
4th: Alex Anzalone, LB, Florida
5th: Kenny Golladay, WR, Illionois
6th: Nate Hairston, CB, Temple
7th: Daniel Brunskill, OT, SDSU
Old 01-30-2017, 11:55 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909 Charger View Post
Tom posted this in another thread...

Eric Weddle during Pro Bowl week:

"I'll give you guys a really inside story. It happened two nights ago. We were all hanging out at the bar. It was me, Philip, Bobby Wagner, Von Miller, Harrison Smith and a couple other guys. And Von comes up - and we're just talking about games and experiences - and Von goes on this seven-minute dissertation of how much he loves, respects and admires Philip and thinks he's one of the best quarterbacks in this league.

"And he goes off and says, 'Look who he played with and [he still] beat us!' He's just like, 'That guy right there is amazing.'

"Honestly to players, players know, like, players know you come here, and you could have a couple games … but they know how good you are. Really, at the bottom line, who you play with, what you're playing with, the team, the scheme - they know. So it was a perfect example of one of the best players in this league - [one of] the greatest people - was literally talking to Phil and telling him how much he thinks he's the best quarterback in the league. And he was really being honest about it. It was awesome just to see that."
That pretty much sums it up folks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.