Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Ownership, Management & Coaching
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2017, 02:07 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by I AMazing I View Post
I hate when I hear people say moving to LA automatically increases franchise value. What absolute nonsense. Why? Explain to me why please.
Massive population exposure, instantly. Tv rights would be through the roof, based upon mass population and related ratings.

Endorsement city USA. West Coast monster vs New York East Coast Monster. Spotlight. Hollywood, celebrities, and stars. Media exposure. The bigger your domain, the greater the opportunity to cash in on the fantasy and reality of the NFL. That L.A. stadium will make money for whichever team plays there, but the big picture is that it will serve as the show biz platform for the league. Think concerts and entertainment laden with NFL endorsers such as Hyundai, Visa and Microsoft.

Location, location, location.

San Diego is a backwater town in the scheme of pro sports markets.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:49 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
Massive population exposure, instantly. Tv rights would be through the roof, based upon mass population and related ratings.

Endorsement city USA. West Coast monster vs New York East Coast Monster. Spotlight. Hollywood, celebrities, and stars. Media exposure. The bigger your domain, the greater the opportunity to cash in on the fantasy and reality of the NFL. That L.A. stadium will make money for whichever team plays there, but the big picture is that it will serve as the show biz platform for the league. Think concerts and entertainment laden with NFL endorsers such as Hyundai, Visa and Microsoft.

Anthony Lynn and his Band of Bolts.
Intimate setting.
StubHub will become the hottest ticket.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:07 AM
Forever San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodeye2000 View Post
Anthony Lynn and his Band of Bolts.
Intimate setting.
StubHub will become the hottest ticket.
For opposing fans...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:57 AM
LAme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post

This is all just fluff. There is absolutely nothing rigid about this - nothing concrete. Just anecdotal BS.

Yes, LA is a much bigger market. The Chargers will have much, much less of the pie in that market. They have no fans in that market. They have no stadium - they are just leasing from the Rams who actually own it.

Oh, and they took on $650mm of debt just to go there. Tell me how that increases equity...

1. Malik Hooker, S
2. Forrest Lamp, OG
3. Tim Williams, Edge
4. Jake Butt, TE
5. Desmond King, CB/S
6. Stevie Tu'ikolovatu, NT
Old 01-14-2017, 12:23 PM
Learn to THINK

Quote:
This is all just fluff. There is absolutely nothing rigid about this - nothing concrete. Just anecdotal BS.

Yes, LA is a much bigger market. The Chargers will have much, much less of the pie in that market. They have no fans in that market. They have no stadium - they are just leasing from the Rams who actually own it.

Oh, and they took on $650mm of debt just to go there. Tell me how that increases equity...
Do you think the bankers who do the valuations don't know how to do their jobs?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-14-2017, 03:17 PM
LAme

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
Do you think the bankers who do the valuations don't know how to do their jobs?
I work in private equity and I can say from experience and with absolute certainty that bankers do not do their jobs.

Bankers are paid by creating change, creating transactions. Unlike p/e, bankers get paid on originating a transaction, not on the transaction economics. They're salespeople, they're incentivized by the commission on a deal. And no deal = no commission.

"Oh you need a $650mm loan to relocate? No problem Dean, we'll cover you. And you're gonna make tons of money! Your franchise value doubles automatically! It's LA!"

1. Malik Hooker, S
2. Forrest Lamp, OG
3. Tim Williams, Edge
4. Jake Butt, TE
5. Desmond King, CB/S
Old 01-14-2017, 04:16 PM
Rookie

Quote:
I hate when I hear people say moving to LA automatically increases franchise value. What absolute nonsense. Why? Explain to me why please.
Population San Diego County 3.5 millions
Population Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernadino Counties 17 million

1. Derek Barnett - DE Tennessee
2. Dan Feeney - OL Indiana
3. - OL Western Kentucky
4. Charles Walker - DL Oklahoma
Old 01-14-2017, 04:31 PM
LAme

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorrman View Post
Population San Diego County 3.5 millions
Population Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernadino Counties 17 million
17 million eh? And how many of those are Chargers fans?

1. Malik Hooker, S
2. Forrest Lamp, OG
3. Tim Williams, Edge
4. Jake Butt, TE
5. Desmond King, CB/S
Old 01-14-2017, 10:49 PM
Rookie

Quote:
17 million eh? And how many of those are Chargers fans?
It's all about the potential! The Chargers have a great opportunity to take the market from the dumpster fire that is the Rams because they can put a better product on the field right now. 13 point snoozers with a horrible offense and and a rookie (bust) qb aren't going to indeer the fans in the LA market. The Chargers may have lost a lot of games this year but they definitely weren't doing it by playing boring games.

1. Derek Barnett - DE Tennessee
2. Dan Feeney - OL Indiana
3. - OL Western Kentucky
4. Charles Walker - DL Oklahoma
Old 01-14-2017, 11:02 PM
Learn to THINK

Quote:
I work in private equity and I can say from experience and with absolute certainty that bankers do not do their jobs.

Bankers are paid by creating change, creating transactions. Unlike p/e, bankers get paid on originating a transaction, not on the transaction economics. They're salespeople, they're incentivized by the commission on a deal. And no deal = no commission.

"Oh you need a $650mm loan to relocate? No problem Dean, we'll cover you. And you're gonna make tons of money! Your franchise value doubles automatically! It's LA!"
Interesting perspective.

Personally, I think they do have a clue on valuations of major-sized corporations.

I've also seen what you describe: a skewed valuation in order to drive a transaction that makes them money.

Thus leading to the question: which houses stated the valuations? And did they all have a greed motive?