Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2017, 10:02 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marion butts View Post
It was 4th and 11 but it wasnt from midfield. It was well within FG range, 47 or 48 yards which made the decision to go for it that much more mind boggling. Oh well.
i was at that game, staring at the ball at the 31 yard line and wondering why we were huddling up to go for it. regular season marty was a HOF coach. playoffs marty would lose his mind.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:26 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
It was 4th and 11 but it wasnt from midfield. It was well within FG range, 47 or 48 yards which made the decision to go for it that much more mind boggling. Oh well.
Ya, I always think of it as being further away than it was. It was a long field goal for Nate (not most other kickers) but if they weren't going to kick the field goal I would have preferred to pin them deep.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:03 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerner View Post
i was at that game, staring at the ball at the 31 yard line and wondering why we were huddling up to go for it. regular season marty was a HOF coach. playoffs marty would lose his mind.
Because Nate, the worst playoff placekicker in the history of the NFL, had about a 10% chance of making that 48 yard kick, and Marty didn't want him to lose whatever sliver of confidence he might have had by starting the game off with a miss, or else Nate would have been shanking shorter FGs later in the game.

And a punt might have only been worth 11 yards of field position.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:03 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaBoltster View Post
Because Nate, the worst playoff placekicker in the history of the NFL, had about a 10% chance of making that 48 yard kick, and Marty didn't want him to lose whatever sliver of confidence he might have had by starting the game off with a miss, or else Nate would have been shanking shorter FGs later in the game.

Please. Kaeding was the pro bowl kicker that year. To that point he was 8-10 from 40 plus that year and he was 1 for 2 career in the playoffs. If Marty was so worried about his kicker not being able to make a 47 yarder based on his one playoff failure to that point then why did he keep him for 2 years after that miss? Marty lost his mind on that play. Plain and simple. Kaeding probably lost some confidence when his coach opted to go for it on 4th and 11 instead of calling his number.

-Mario Lopez
Old 02-02-2017, 05:39 PM
Hall of Famer

That was a hell of a season, I'm glad I got to see it, even with that astounding loss to NE.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:53 AM
Rookie

Great, great article that Ricky put together. An amazing team achievement on multiple levels.

Thanks for the memories.

Gah! What could've been...

Old 02-03-2017, 03:30 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Please. Kaeding was the pro bowl kicker that year. To that point he was 8-10 from 40 plus that year and he was 1 for 2 career in the playoffs. If Marty was so worried about his kicker not being able to make a 47 yarder based on his one playoff failure to that point then why did he keep him for 2 years after that miss? Marty lost his mind on that play. Plain and simple. Kaeding probably lost some confidence when his coach opted to go for it on 4th and 11 instead of calling his number.
It was a good call. Players just didn't execute.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:01 AM
Hall of Famer

"The San Diego Chargers Magical 2006 Season"
Old 02-15-2017, 07:57 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaBoltster View Post

worst playoff place kicker, worst playoff head coach, worst playoff Qb
i guess it was inevitable, we just didnt know it then.
1. Reuben Foster (get a top 5 player without a top 5 pick. Foster will be an absolute monster in the pros). Never enough LBs in the NFL and guys like#51 dont belong in the starting lineup.
2. OL
3. Brad Kaaya (time to look forward to a new era at QB)
4. Joe Mixon RB (talented back who'll drop for off field altercation 2 years ago).
Old 02-15-2017, 08:50 AM
Hall of Famer

It was a lot of fun for many of us to be a Chargers fan when Marty was putting the ball in LT's hands. I love the ground game and loved watching LT. 2006 WAS kind of magical with the OL blocking, Lo Neal and LT.
I can't leave the team that gave me Air Coryell and Marty Ball with LT. Too many great memories.
I have high hopes for Lynn's LA Chargers.