Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Bolt News
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2017, 10:42 AM
Embrace the change

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorajim View Post
Tuerk had 14 starts at LG, 13 at C, 5 at LT, 1 at RT at USC. He was projected as a top 50 pick before the ACL injury. He had excellent knee bend, flexibility, exceptional quickness and agility.
Letting him redshirt 2016 was more about not wasting his physical talent and allowing him to fully rehab. Slauson did a nice job for us at C under the circumstances and occupied Tuerk's best projected NFL position.
All our players have questions entering a new season with new teammates under new coaches in a new city.
My concerns are about coaching. We have a decent roster IF they respond to Lynn, Whiz, Meyer and each other. We haven't gotten OL play as a unit in the recent past. IF they come together as a unit, they'll be OK, may be a strength.
Really? I had no idea that you were on the staff and are privy to this sort of info.

So why was it that Ingram raced back from the same injury that he suffered at a later date than Tuerk suffered his and yet came back and played that season? Was the teams plan to 'waste' Ingram's talent?
Old 03-11-2017, 10:43 AM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by I AMazing I View Post
We need to sign Ryan Groy. RFA with original round tender (was UDFA), meaning we wouldn't give up any compensation picks. G/C flex. Strong PFF grade. History with our HC in Buffalo and MGIII in Wisconsin.

Gives us Groy, Tuerk and Slauson competing on the interior... all offering position flex. Relieve pressure in the draft to go BPA.
The Chargers would just be setting the payscale for Groy to a long-term deal in Buffalo. Buffalo will almost certainly match and he remains a Bill.

That's why you almost never see RFA's sign with another team: Why do the dirty work for the current team holding the rights by negotiating a long-term deal for them when they have the absolute right to match?

For the record: Couldn't care less about a PFF grade for any player, care a great deal about how Lynn and the Chargers position coach feel about the player.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:05 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowYourBolts View Post
Really? I had no idea that you were on the staff and are privy to this sort of info.

So why was it that Ingram raced back from the same injury that he suffered at a later date than Tuerk suffered his and yet came back and played that season? Was the teams plan to 'waste' Ingram's talent?
I just assumed you were aware that this is an opinion forum unless otherwise stated and supported by a linked quote.

Two different players in different positions with different injuries. "Same" injury is presumably to same area with different specific medical details unless you were the attending physician in both cases. One our best OLB pass rusher, the other a rookie in a position that was filled by our best starting vet OL.
Why would you assume that the team risked "wasting" Ingram? He was cleared to start.
It's a fact that Tuerk was not asked to replace Slauson or any other starter. We know that TT & the scouts felt the injured Tuerk was a talented C and good value at pick #66. My take is that they didn't feel the need to use him when we had vet starters. You may feel free to speculate just as I have done.

Max was out with a torn ACL suffered in a game in Oct.http://reignoftroy.com/2015/10/11/us...with-torn-acl/

Melvin tore his in May OTAs http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/9...ffers-torn-acl
Stared one game in 2013 reg season.http://www.nfl.com/player/melviningram/2532870/profile

Last edited by sonorajim; 03-11-2017 at 03:25 PM..
Old 03-11-2017, 04:09 PM
Learn to THINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
The bold above is pretty much what I am saying. There are plenty of question marks with this proposed OL, regardless of LTOCB's interest in acknowledging them.
Still struggling with that English reading comprehension, eh?

Old 03-11-2017, 04:26 PM
Embrace the change

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorajim View Post
I just assumed you were aware that this is an opinion forum unless otherwise stated and supported by a linked quote.

Two different players in different positions with different injuries. "Same" injury is presumably to same area with different specific medical details unless you were the attending physician in both cases. One our best OLB pass rusher, the other a rookie in a position that was filled by our best starting vet OL.
Why would you assume that the team risked "wasting" Ingram? He was cleared to start.
It's a fact that Tuerk was not asked to replace Slauson or any other starter. We know that TT & the scouts felt the injured Tuerk was a talented C and good value at pick #66. My take is that they didn't feel the need to use him when we had vet starters. You may feel free to speculate just as I have done.

Max was out with a torn ACL suffered in a game in Oct.http://reignoftroy.com/2015/10/11/us...with-torn-acl/

Melvin tore his in May OTAs http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/9...ffers-torn-acl
Stared one game in 2013 reg season.http://www.nfl.com/player/melviningram/2532870/profile

Pulley was no vet, or drafted for that matter, yet he played a good bit.

Also, MI was no star when he had that injury and came back in just 7 months. He was young and unproven, just like Tuerk is. Max had 11 months to rehab before the start of the season and another 4 months before it ended. That's twice what it took MI to come back, and we still never saw him. And you seem to have amnesia and recall us having some stellar OL that wasn't in need of an influx of young talent, if it were there. That wasn't the case at all. If he was good enough to play, he would have. Especially with a staff in a 'need to win' situation.

And I like TT, but let's not act like drafting OL is something he does well. Fluker and Watt would tell me otherwise. I am hopeful that Tuerk will become a solid player, but there is absolutely nothing supporting that idea at this time.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:59 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:

Also, MI was no star when he had that injury and came back in just 7 months. He was young and unproven, just like Tuerk is. Max had 11 months to rehab before the start of the season and another 4 months before it ended. That's twice what it took MI to come back, and we still never saw him. And you seem to have amnesia and recall us having some stellar OL that wasn't in need of an influx of young talent, if it were there. That wasn't the case at all. If he was good enough to play, he would have. Especially with a staff in a 'need to win' situation.

And I like TT, but let's not act like drafting OL is something he does well. Fluker and Watt would tell me otherwise. I am hopeful that Tuerk will become a solid player, but there is absolutely nothing supporting that idea at this time.
There's a slight difference between putting in a rookie for his first NFL action (training camp, preseason or regular season) in the oline in meaningless (for the Chargers) games in November / December than a 2nd year OLB with 16 regular season games under his belt coming back in December for a team's playoff push.

I am not drawing any conclusions (positive or negative) regarding Tuerk, but it is justifiable to wait until the rookie center has some training camp and preseason snaps before sending him into regular season action. If the decision to hold off was done because he is not good enough of a player to take snaps, then it's an inexcusable miss on behalf of TT's part.

Here's a November article on Tuerk:

Quote:
"Redshirt" year for Bolts rookie Tuerk pays off
By Tom Krasovic
November 3, 2016

What became of the USC alumnus the Chargers took in the third round of this year’s NFL draft?

Max Tuerk played no snaps in the first half of the season, which ended Sunday, and while that makes the center unique among the top seven draftees in the team’s 2016 class, the work behind the scenes may pay off when Tuerk’s chance arrives.

“I think the kid has a really bright future,” said the Chargers’ Matt Slauson, an eight-year veteran who starts at center and gives Tuerk pointers.

Tuerk keeps busy. The morning is still dark when he reaches Chargers Park.

He lifts weights, studies film and attends classroom meetings.

In practice, he works on the scout team, so he goes against veteran nose tackle Brandon Mebane, a 10th-year pro who started for Seattle’s two Super Bowl teams.

When the starting offense works, he observes a 93-game starter in Slauson.

“It’s just been good, kind of watching Matt play and learning from him, getting in here and working with him,” Tuerk said. “It’s always awesome to get to work in with those guys (on defense).”

Mebane said Tuerk has learned, in time, to cool his jets against NFL foes who are more advanced than his USC opponents were.

“He’s gotten a lot better as far as with the technique and him not being so aggressive,” Mebane said. “When he first came here, he was very aggressive, and I think now he’s being more patient. He’s starting to just understand that some of the things you did in college, you can’t do in the NFL.

“Guys are smarter,” Mebane said, “and you have to have a plan. You can be too aggressive. I think he’s gotten a lot better as far as listening to his coaches and taking direction from them and Slauson.”

Gaining strength was a goal, too.

The 6-foot-5 Tuerk’s frame is a tad slender for an NFL center, and a knee injury sustained on Oct. 8 of last year led to reconstructive surgery.

Tuerk, who bench-pressed 225 pounds 26 times in a pre-draft workout, said his mobility is as before the injury and that he has improved his overall strength.

When Tom Telesco drafted Tuerk with the 66th pick, the center was penciled into the April depth chart as a potential starter owing in part to the recurring knee problems of center Chris Watt, the team’s third-round pick in 2014.

Then, three days later, the Chicago Bears cut Slauson, a guard who also had worked at center.

Telesco signed Slauson, 30, to a two-year contract worth $3 million, and the center has played every offensive snap.

Quarterback Philip Rivers, without slighting any other newcomers to the team, has said Slauson is the best addition of several newcomers that have panned out.

No matter how early Tuerk gets to Chargers Park, the rookie said, it seems that Slauson’s huge truck is already in the parking lot.

“I’m learning a ton from him,” Tuerk said.

Slauson, upon joining the team, set forth his plan to Tuerk.

“I told him, ‘Hey, I know we’re in competition here, but I’m planning on winning the job, no offense – but, this is gonna be great for you because you get a full year of experience and you don’t get a year of wear and tear on your knees and shoulders,’ “ he said.

Slauson said he seldom played as a rookie, either, but learned to become a pro from the Jets starter ahead of him, nine-time Pro Bowler Alan Faneca.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...103-story.html

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:46 PM
Hall of Famer

Sounds like he was working hard. That certainly doesn't mean he's ever going to be an NFL quality player. We'll see.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:06 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrip View Post
Sounds like he was working hard. That certainly doesn't mean he's ever going to be an NFL quality player. We'll see.
Exactly.

No way can I legitimately project him for any role on the oline at the present time, but on the other hand I can't discount that he may be pushing for a job.

[Hard work] + [High Level of Athleticism] + [NFL Body] = Decent Chance to Succeed

We will see!!

Old 03-11-2017, 07:10 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrip View Post
There are those that are certain Tuerk is so talented that he will push Slauson out to a OG position.....

GO BOLTS !
Old 03-11-2017, 07:12 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:

Pulley started no (0) games, saw a little random action.

MI was in his 2nd year but was a 1st rd pick who had great billing as an exceptional athlete and projected as our top OLB pass rusher. It may be a little different to experience an injury in a non contact drill vs one in a game. We do know that knee injuries are always different in the exact details. We don't know that Tuerk would have played ahead of a high dollar FA, 2013 1st rd pick or the OL leader at C if he were completely healthy, each of whom started 16 games in 2016. We do know that he'll get every opportunity in 2017.