Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Friar Talk > Friars General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2009, 06:34 PM
freedom

Was wondering where you found the case?
Old 06-01-2009, 08:39 PM
Hall of Famer

the wonderful world of ebay
Old 06-01-2009, 10:17 PM
BombsAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by loumud View Post
Sweet display case Loumud! If you don't mind me asking, how much did that case cost you? Where can I buy one? You can send me a PM if you want. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2009, 10:21 PM
BombsAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasquez619 View Post
Loumud, is that an LT signed baseball? thats pretty cool. Where did you get that signed?
It looks like he also has an Antonio Gates signed baseball. Great idea Loumud!
Old 06-02-2009, 12:21 AM
Rackmaster Flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombsAway View Post
It looks like he also has an Antonio Gates signed baseball. Great idea Loumud!
I'll answer several questions here. Yes, there is a Gates signed baseball that I got signed at the event at Horton Plaza 2 seasons ago. I actually asked him to sweetspot it, but something got lost in translation and he signed the side panel. It's ok though, since Gates has the tall signature and it might not have looked as good on the sweetspot after all. I got the LT baseball signed at the event this past December with CJ's and GTSM (thanks for the hook-up, Fred). In hindsight I don't know if I would pay that much for something like that again, but it's definitely something unique. I know some collectors on here aren't too keen on non-baseball players signing baseballs, but I think it's kind of cool. Plus, baseballs take up much less display room than footballs, basketballs, helmets, minis, etc. (there's also a baseball in my case signed by the 2007 #1 NBA draft pick Greg Oden and I have a couple others not pictured here signed by Simpson's creator Matt Groening with sketches on them).

The case I got I believe cost me $150 or $175 a few years ago. I bought it through www.sportsdisplays.com. They run periodic specials on their items typically around Father's Day and Christmas. I can't recall if my case has 97% or 98% UV protective glass or less, but I can say that since I put the baseballs in their own UV protective cubes inside the case I haven't had any issues with browning or fading. Also keep in mind that baseballs vary from ball-to-ball depending on the quality of leather. Some will stand up pretty well to UV rays, but others won't. Even if the cowhide is good you still run the risk of the auto getting damaged.

Buying the cubes retail will set you back some money. But, you can buy them in bulk from some sellers on ebay, which will save you at least $1 per cube (including shipping), if not more. Just make sure they are the UV protective cubes. The deals aren't that hard to find these days! Just don't want you guys to make the same mistakes I did early on in my own collecting career...

Last edited by loumud; 06-02-2009 at 01:56 AM..
Old 06-02-2009, 10:47 AM
Rookie

who is the signature on this ball???? my bother-in-law gave me this ball but i could never make out who it was.....

Old 06-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Rackmaster Flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomTask View Post
I'd love to see that one! Huge Simpsons fan. Did you get that at Comic Con?
Here you go! Yes, I got both of these at Comic Con - one in 2007 and the other last year. Comic Con is really a mecca for getting celebrity autographs! I usually attend every year with my friend harrid4. Groening can be a little tough since he gets mobbed everywhere he goes, but we've been pretty lucky with him in the past...

Old 06-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanghead1966 View Post
who is the signature on this ball???? my bother-in-law gave me this ball but i could never make out who it was.....

It looks like Greg Maddox
Old 06-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanghead1966 View Post

it is indeed Greg Maddux
Old 06-02-2009, 05:39 PM
Rackmaster Flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScootMagroot View Post
it is indeed Greg Maddux
Lucky you - it looks like you have a few Maddux autos! I've never been able to get him either in person or TTM. Believe me I've spent a lot of time trying! He's definitely my white whale...