Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Official Stuff > Feedback
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2007, 09:10 AM
LT's Father

If you let everyone thinks their thoughts warrant a thread, we'll have 30 new threads with no posts in them. No real discussion, just people throwing out thoughts and leaving.

Forums need to kept on topic so that the pages don't sprawl into chaos (the forum after losses is evidence). I continue to sponsor the idea that when you click to send a new thread, it should be automatically sent to mods for approval so that stupid threads can be moved or locked up (with explanation of course) without actually being displayed. The annoyance of waiting a few minutes is worth keeping it clean.

From what I've been told, this technology doesn't work unless it goes for all posts, which would be a waste of all our time. But if we can make it work, I'd love it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“I believe with a certainty, in my opinion, he is the finest running back I have ever seen in professional football."
Old 11-27-2007, 09:24 AM
deepthreat616

But then the thread just drops down the list and is forgotten anyways.

There is natural selection with boards by design. There is no need IMO for mods to mess with them so much.

If a topic is hot lots of people keep it alive. Hell lots of people keep 5 or 6 threads alive. Nothing wrong with that. How many completely unique and relevant topics do we expect to have?
Old 11-27-2007, 09:27 AM
First member of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepthreat616 View Post
What is harder:

Reading 5 slightly different threads on similar topics?

Or going through 50+ pages of 5+ threads merged together.

Personally I would rather see the topic broken down a little bit more.

Think of them as Chapters.

Other then keeping this board relatively PG, I think the Mods need to leave it alone.
We merge similar threads because it keeps threads on page 1. If we have 4/5 threads about the same thing, we have 4/5 threads about other things that are pushed to page two.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:36 AM
Hall of Famer

My observation has been that people are simply too lazy to scan the first couple of pages or (gasp!) use the search function to find a relevant thread to contribute to.

There's also the "Look At Me!" factor: people just like to create new threads, even when it is obviously OT, duplicates what someone else just said or contributes nothing to the overarching discussion. It's a case of "wow, I'm so clever/insightful and everyone is going to want to listen to what I have to say..."

The endless polls on BS topics are tiresome as well. Is this a Chargers forum or Cosmo?
Old 11-27-2007, 09:39 AM
Hall of Famer

MERGE THEM! clutter = bad.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:57 AM
Hall of Famer

No one way is perfect....the mods do a good job with the way they handle it now....IMO.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:15 AM
First member of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyournrvs View Post
My observation has been that people are simply too lazy to scan the first couple of pages or (gasp!) use the search function to find a relevant thread to contribute to.

There's also the "Look At Me!" factor: people just like to create new threads, even when it is obviously OT, duplicates what someone else just said or contributes nothing to the overarching discussion. It's a case of "wow, I'm so clever/insightful and everyone is going to want to listen to what I have to say..."

The endless polls on BS topics are tiresome as well. Is this a Chargers forum or Cosmo?
I think you're right on all counts. Newer people love to start new threads so they'll be noticed.

I sure agree about the useless polls. We have way too many useless polls. I think we need some sort of approval for polls to be posted.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:46 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeroo View Post
I think you're right on all counts. Newer people love to start new threads so they'll be noticed.

I sure agree about the useless polls. We have way too many useless polls. I think we need some sort of approval for polls to be posted.
I'm going to make a poll to see what everybody thinks on that.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:38 PM
Hall of Famer

Ok...I think I get it. Sort of. What about the people who are really new, and think they're contributing to a topic, but posts seem to be lost in space because she's not sure how to do this and really wants to start rubbing elbows, so to speak, with other fans?
Old 12-21-2007, 02:26 AM
Ahoy Ser Davos!

I just took the time to merge these two threads together. But it brings up a very important point. I am a merge-master mod. I agree with Chargeroo's reasoning above.

This place is less strict than other places. You guys should check out Television Without Pity - their posting guidelines. They even say to make sure you read the last 10 pages of a thread before posting - and they have threads that are 5000 pages long.

I have a sense that some of you users who complain about merging and moving worry more about getting your posts thread than actually contributing to a conversation.

Even free speech (which doesn't apply here anyway) doesn't guarantee the right to be heard. The best way to be heard is to be interesting.

Just my two cents.