Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 08:56 AM
Moderator of Delusions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorajim View Post
It remains a possibility, however remote that we'll accept a trade down if the pot is sweet enough.
If we draft at #7 it's a good bet that they'll play right away.

High probability position picks at 7 IMO: DL/DE, S, CB.
Yep. Just like lasts years 3. You don't pass up a sure starter and possibly high impact player.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The best Offense is a good Defense.
Old Today, 09:31 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully-Charged View Post
I like Pat Mahomes too, but Rivers might be able to play until his 40 so that's 5 years he could possibly be sitting. Would be interesting tho. I actually think the Chargers will look at Webb out of CAL if he fell to the 4th.
This will be a real key year for Rivers. Suppose Lynn upgrades our O-line and really ramps up our ground attack, which should in theory reduce the pass rush and pressure on Rivers. Suppose Lynn drafts a solid WR to be KA's bookend who is a disciplined route runner with great chemistry with Rivers. Now Rivers should have no excuse for throwing up the rock for all those picks like he did last year. If after all these upgrades, Rivers still melts down under pressure, or even without any pressure, which did happen at times last year, then I think the Bolts really need to look at grooming his replacement asap. As it is, I think if one of the top QB's is available in round 2, they may want to pull the trigger now. The key question is can the Bolts get several more QUALITY years out of Rivers, not inconsistent play like what happened last year.
(Trade down to #12, pick up extra 2nd rounder)
1. Williams WR Clemson
2a. Baker S Washington
2b. Feeney OG, Indiana
3. Basham DE Ohio
4. Bisnowaty, OT Pittsburgh
5. Anzalone LB, Florida
6. King CB Washington
7. Heck OT North Carolina

If we can't trade down:
1. Williams WR Clemson
2. Feeney OG Indiana
3. Basham DE Ohio
4. Jones S North Carolina State
5. Davenport OT Bucknell
6. Donahue LB West Georgia
7. Elder CB Miami
Old Today, 11:03 AM
First member of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
Far too many holes on this roster for TT to indulge in drafting a QB......regardless of round.
I agree ........ except for "regardless of round".

I can see them taking a kid they think it a decent prospect in a late round. Wouldn't it be better if they hit on a QB in that manner and he could take over as the backup.

Face it, most 6th and 7th round picks fail to make the team so why wouldn't they take a shot at a QB in the late rounds. For instance Colorado had a QB that I saw twice this year. In one game he looked real sharp in the next one he was a dog. He did have a strong arm and pretty good feet though, but sometimes he stared down his receiver and sometimes the ball seemed to sail on him, resulting in picks. But, maybe a guy like that could be taught some changes to his mechanics and develop into a decent QB?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old Today, 11:19 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat4477 View Post
This will be a real key year for Rivers. Suppose Lynn upgrades our O-line and really ramps up our ground attack, which should in theory reduce the pass rush and pressure on Rivers. Suppose Lynn drafts a solid WR to be KA's bookend who is a disciplined route runner with great chemistry with Rivers. Now Rivers should have no excuse for throwing up the rock for all those picks like he did last year. If after all these upgrades, Rivers still melts down under pressure, or even without any pressure, which did happen at times last year, then I think the Bolts really need to look at grooming his replacement asap. As it is, I think if one of the top QB's is available in round 2, they may want to pull the trigger now. The key question is can the Bolts get several more QUALITY years out of Rivers, not inconsistent play like what happened last year.
I'm pretty sure Lynn is going to demand Rivers cut down on turnovers. No excuses. No blaming o-line, no blaming WR injuries, no blaming the play call. He simply needs to throw it away, or get the ball to his check down quicker, or tuck it and take the sack, or put it in a spot only the receiver can catch it. He can even tuck & run it back to line of scrimmage, maybe even gain a couple yards and slide. He can't force it, can't put it up for grabs, can't overlook a wide open check down.

If he does that, especially in the fourth quarter, then the team's chances of winning will increase.

I don't think Rivers plays until 40. I think he has 2 or 3 years left. Not that he can't do it. But I have a feeling the Chargers may draft a QB this year or next with a early rd pick. Let the player learn for a year or two and then transition to a new QB. I don't think they want to play a rookie QB or wait too long to find Rivers successor. I think they want to be ready to change QBs as early as 2019. And possibly cut Rivers final year because business wise they save $16mil in cap if they do release him in 2 seasons when he will be turning 38 that year.
I think Rivers will retire if the Chargers make the decision to release him in 2019.
4. S.Griffin-CB, UCF
5. G.Kittle-TE, Iowa
6. D.Henderson-RB, Coastal Carolina
7. C.Levin-OL, Chattanooga
Old Today, 11:53 AM
Hall of Famer

Rivers will demand that Rivers cut down on t/o's, never mind Lynn.
Solid interior OL play- give the pocket passer a pocket- and a solid run game will make a
noticeable difference.
Many CMBers are missing the importance of STs and field position on our offense. Also huge in 2016 in a negative way. Lynn and Asst HC/STs coach Stewart have stated the intention that we will improve. P Ret and K Ret stunk. That needs to be fixed. At least Lynn/Stewart noticed.
It can help the O a lot.
D needs to play their best ball in the 4th, not disappear. The O run game, making /finishing drives, good field position can help. Give the D some breaks. Offensive 3 & outs, turnovers are a backbreaker in the 4th.

I want a defensive playmaker or two rd 1-2, OL - WR day 2-3. If they take a young QB without messing with those priorities, OK.
We know the only way Rivers is not starting all 2017 is injury and he doesn't miss many snaps.
Old Today, 12:02 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeroo View Post
I agree ........ except for "regardless of round".

I can see them taking a kid they think it a decent prospect in a late round. Wouldn't it be better if they hit on a QB in that manner and he could take over as the backup.

Face it, most 6th and 7th round picks fail to make the team so why wouldn't they take a shot at a QB in the late rounds. For instance Colorado had a QB that I saw twice this year. In one game he looked real sharp in the next one he was a dog. He did have a strong arm and pretty good feet though, but sometimes he stared down his receiver and sometimes the ball seemed to sail on him, resulting in picks. But, maybe a guy like that could be taught some changes to his mechanics and develop into a decent QB?
Draft well and those 6th or 7th rounders make a 4-12 roster....

Yes, it would be huge to mine that starting QB like the Patriots managed in Brady, but it isn't likely. TT should use the picks to create increased talent, if it is qb, so be it.

GO BOLTS !