Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2017, 09:33 PM
Madness? This is Chargers

Default Qualities that you love about Rivers

It sort of an appreciation threat. We take 17 for granted sometimes, especially given how terrible this team has been the last two years. He obviously has contributed to some of it with his turnovers. But despite being 35 this year, I just have a feeling that he has that ability to keep playing well ala Brees and Brady if he has the right pieces in place (good coaching, as well as offensive weapons that stay healthy) just because he's been so durable and good when those things have aligned.

But the three things I appreciate about him are his work ethic, smarts, and his pocket presence. The last one, in particular, is underrated by the casual fan IMO, but are absolutely key to being a great QB. And all three will be what we need to find when eventually find Rivers' successor.

Example of his work ethic and smarts:
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...t04-story.html
Quote:
The first players-only meeting Philip Rivers runs the week before a game is devoted to blitz protection, every offensive lineman, running back and tight end in a room with the Chargers quarterback.

The second is with the skill players — the wide receivers, running backs and tight ends — to re-watch every pass play from the previous game before discussing the routes and progressions for the next one.
Quote:
Rivers has a weekly routine split into general phases.
It starts with protection. As the week progresses, he moves into pass-game concepts. Later elements include third downs, run checks, and the red-zone and two-minute offense.
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...htmlstory.html
Quote:
These are the looks he believes they could see Sunday. Maybe it's something the upcoming opponent has shown before. Maybe it's something Rivers remembers from several years ago when that same defensive coordinator was on another team. Offensive coordinator Frank Reich said the 33-year-old has a "football photographic memory," able to recall several years in the past in pointed detail.
Quote:
He's not perfect. How a play developed won't always be how he saw it on the field.
But compared to other quarterbacks, he relies far less on studying pictures between series when standing on the sideline. There's little need. He saw that safety jump on the curl route, live.
And his pocket presence:
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/08/19/n...diego-chargers
Quote:
No quarterback generates more production with his feet than Philip Rivers. Though he sometimes looks like he’s wearing ski boots in the sand, we’re not talking about running in the sense of tucking the ball and taking off. We’re talking about generating production with his feet. Unlike Russell Wilson, whose feet cover large swaths of ground to make plays, Rivers covers inches of ground. But with those inches comes tremendous productivity, in the form of balls unleashed accurately through the air.

The details might be microscopic, but Rivers’s pocket movement is the best in football. He sidesteps to avoid pressure; he hitches up to create throwing velocity and let pass rushers go past him; he slides and drifts to camouflage his blockers’ mistakes. Occasionally Rivers will get outside the pocket altogether. He’s adept here as well, though he’s not comfortable throwing literally on the move; he often has to stop and reset before releasing. Nevertheless, the results are usually the same: positive yardage.
His style of play is quarterbacking in its purest form. This is how every coach wants his QB to play. You can draw up any passing concept for a man who has mastered nuanced movement.

Rivers doesn’t need his feet to be very far apart in order to throw. That weird shot-put motion that he picked up as a little kid by heaving full-sized footballs years before puberty? It looks goofy, but it’s also extremely compact. Which is a great trait if you have the raw arm strength. It enables Rivers to make throws with bodies around him. Not needing much space in order to launch, Rivers is afforded more possibilities for places to move. It might not appear that way because those possibilities all exist within the pocket, but his ability to maximize those overlapping inches is what makes San Diego’s offense go.
In summary, Rivers will have his share of mistakes, and we should rightfully criticize him for it. But I feel that the majority of time, he does so much with so little that we miss out on how lucky we are to have a QB like him in SD. There's still time to get him a ring, and I hope that we do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unleash the Rivers!!!
Old 06-16-2017, 05:20 AM
Hall of Famer

Phillip Rivers is one the main reasons I follow the Chargers post move. The football qualities are all there.

Rivers has a great football mind and is able to read defenses and put the offense in the right play almost every time. The game against the Jets at home a few years ago comes to mind where he audibles into a run play to run away from a blitz on the right side gashing the defense for 20 plus yards down the field. His quick release is still tops in the league and his ability to climb the pocket to avoid the rush is fun to watch.

The passion with which he plays the game with...it's what may turn opponents fans and players off when they first meet him. He responded to an insightful question by Marshall Faulk during an NFL Network interview after the team beat the Broncos in Denver.

I summarize his question as when people see you play and say why does he have to do that do you feel misunderstood? Rivers answered after all these years it's funny the reason I act the way I do is all I really want to do is to play football! If I see a lineman being held I want to question the referee why isn't he getting a penalty? It's all in the will to want to win the game. The whole crew busted out laughing to his answer. Rivers is as engaging and insightful interview as they come. His love for the game stands out.

The off field stuff is all first class. He is a man of strong Catholic faith who shows it in the way he raises his kids to what cap or shirt he wears to interviews to how he carries himself and gives back to the community. Some may say it's hard to believe that he doesn't use vulgar language at any time as prude but hey that's Phillip Rivers. Better than having a QB like Johnny Manziel who cares about his self image and disappoints his team by making poor choices off the field.

Rivers is a man of strong faith who sacrifices for his family as he does for the team. A definite servant leader who deserves to lead a team to a championship.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:33 AM
Hall of Famer

A few short months back there was plenty of those yapping about it is time to move on from Rivers.....

GO BOLTS !
Old 06-16-2017, 08:52 AM
Moderator of the Trenches

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
A few short months back there was plenty of those yapping about it is time to move on from Rivers.....
Is it time to move on from Rivers?
Old 06-16-2017, 09:22 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacstud View Post
Is it time to move on from Rivers?
No, the draft is over.......but next year has promise, eh ?

GO BOLTS !
Old 06-17-2017, 04:56 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
I laughed then, and I'll laugh now. Of course it wasn't time, and it isn't now either.

BUT .......what does he have now ? 14 years ?!?!?!?!?!?!

Big Ben talked about retiring this offseason (he likes to crybaby every once in a while), and I am not even exaggerating---the fanbase has turned on him out here. Damnedest thing I have ever seen. He has won 2 SB's, and has been their franchise QB. He mentioned that, and they turned out here. CRAZY is they introduced him in a pre-game Penguins Cup game, you should have seen the lukewarm bare applause. It was not good......

Rivers and Ben came into the league together. My response for Rivers playing a lot of years, and spoiled Steeler fans getting lukewarm on Ben:

Be VERY careful thinking franchise QB's just grow on tree's, and are a dime a dozen. Because my friends, they are NOT, and they do NOT.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:50 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
I laughed then, and I'll laugh now. Of course it wasn't time, and it isn't now either.

BUT .......what does he have now ? 14 years ?!?!?!?!?!?!

Big Ben talked about retiring this offseason (he likes to crybaby every once in a while), and I am not even exaggerating---the fanbase has turned on him out here. Damnedest thing I have ever seen. He has won 2 SB's, and has been their franchise QB. He mentioned that, and they turned out here. CRAZY is they introduced him in a pre-game Penguins Cup game, you should have seen the lukewarm bare applause. It was not good......

Rivers and Ben came into the league together. My response for Rivers playing a lot of years, and spoiled Steeler fans getting lukewarm on Ben:

Be VERY careful thinking franchise QB's just grow on tree's, and are a dime a dozen. Because my friends, they are NOT, and they do NOT.

Sorta like winning Cups.......

Bolts were lucky in the transition from Brees to Rivers, both franchise QB's..... When Rivers is done, the Bolts could look exactly like how the Donks do now....searching, praying, hoping one of the QB's is the answer.

GO BOLTS !
Old 06-17-2017, 07:02 AM
Release DJ Fluker!!

When the move was fresh and hurt the most, Rivers is what kept me glued the most.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:10 PM
Learn to THINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenos View Post
It sort of an appreciation threat. We take 17 for granted sometimes, especially given how terrible this team has been the last two years. He obviously has contributed to some of it with his turnovers. But despite being 35 this year, I just have a feeling that he has that ability to keep playing well . . .

In summary, Rivers will have his share of mistakes, and we should rightfully criticize him for it. But I feel that the majority of time, he does so much with so little that we miss out on how lucky we are to have a QB like him in SD. . . .
Just a great, level-headed post.

Quote:
And then there's this.