Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2005, 02:37 PM
Los Angeles Chargers

Default Nice little bye week treat

The defensive coordinator Wade Phillips and offensive coordinator Cam Cameron both talked to the media today. Several of the writers asked Marty if he would give permission for the coordinators to talk with them and he agreed to do so.

Video: Wade Phillips
Video: Cam Cameron

The FREE RealPlayer plug-in is necessary to play the Video clips above.

Last edited by joelbolt; 11-09-2005 at 03:57 PM..
Old 11-09-2005, 02:39 PM
FanSince1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelbolt
The defensive coordinator Wade Phillips and offensive coordinator Cam Cameron both talked to the media today. Several of the writers asked Marty if he would give permission for the coordinators to talk with them and he agreed to do so.

Soon we will have the video on the site for fans to view.

Stay tuned!
I'm sure it will all be politically correct sound bites, but I looking forward to seeing the interviews.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:14 PM
Los Angeles Chargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince1979
I'm sure it will all be politically correct sound bites, but I looking forward to seeing the interviews.
What do you want T.O. controversy??? I hope you are pleasantly surprised but who knows with some of you guys.

Last edited by joelbolt; 11-09-2005 at 03:20 PM..
Old 11-09-2005, 03:18 PM
Power Outage

Here's a copy of an article in the Union Tribune regarding the Wade Phillips & Cam Cameron interview...

Coordinators can too, speak...

November 09, 2005
Chargers practice ends relatively early on Wednesday (12:15 p.m.) during this, their bye week in week nine of the NFL season.
Local scribes have been clamoring for ages for interviews with the Chargers offensive and defensive coordinators, Cam Cameron and Wade Phillips, seeking additional insight into the teams' inner machinations.
Routinely in times past, the organization has put the kibosh on such requests. The logic: it's important for the team to speak with one voice, stay on point, present a united front, etc.
For local media, it's meant a steady diet of Marty Schottenheimer on wry.
That changed on Wednesday.
Suddenly, Phillips and Cameron were allowed to hang out, answer questions. Head coach Marty Schottenheimer got into the act at one point, grabbing the microphone belonging to a local TV station and sticking it into Phillip's face.
No fool, Phillips. He immediately begins singing the praises of the head coach.
Schottenheimer brought Phillips to the Chargers in January 2004 to implement the 3-4 defense. The defense has become pretty good against the run.
Phillips, quizzed about the Bolts goal-line stand that won the game against the Jets last Sunday, noted the importance of the sequence as a confidence-builder for the younger members of the squad.
"A couple of the players were saying, 'we got them where we want them, coach,'" he said. '"We got them were we want them.'"
Phillips sounded pleased when discussing the play of the younger linebackers in his 3-4 defense. The depth of the corps contributed greatly to the teams success during the last two games, despite the absence of Steve Foley, and later, Randall Godfrey.
Someone wanted to know if Phillips, former head coach of the Buffalo Bills, would be interested in leading a team once more.
"Only if they'll take me," he said. "You know, you don't toot own horn and all that, but we were 29-19 at Buffalo and it was the 3rd-best record in the NFL at the time and we got fired. I think I can handle it if I need to."
Cameron, perceived as the offensive mastermind for the Chargers, who are averaging nearly 30 points per game this season, is 44 and joined the organization in 2002.
In '04, the Bolts tallied 446 points, ranking 3rd in the NFl and 3rd highest in team history. SI.com named him Offensive Assistant of the Year.
Cameron spoke of the importance of keeping all the members of the Chargers offensive machine "involved" in the game. He seemed to intimate that calling plays that only featured one player would serve as a detriment to the others. That sounded like one of the reasons for calling Lorenzo Neal's number on the goal line a few times against the Jets.
In Drew Brees, Cameron said, the Chargers have a quarterback with the rare ability to remain poised, regardless of the situation.
In response to a question regarding the "unstoppability" of Antonio Gates, Cameron cautioned against tossing around such verbiage. Young players who starting believing their own hype often don't work as hard.
Gates, Cameron says, is constantly being challenged in practices to improve as both a receiver and a blocker.
He sounded nearly in awe of Tomlinson, but not for the reason you'd think. L.T.'s skill as a ball carrier is well-documented. However, the offensive coordinator reserved much of his praise for Tomlinson, the human being.
Cameron sounded like someone who was truly fortunate (he actually used the word "blessed") to be able to spend time around Tomlinson. In a world populated with less-than-steller individuals (you know who you are), Tomlinson appears dedicated to being a good person, as well as a great athlete, the coordinator said.
On the playing field, he pointed to a play L.T. made on 3rd and six against the Jets, that never made the box score. Brees needed time to find receiver Reche Caldwell, but a Jets defender was closing in on the quarterback.
"He makes the block," Cameron said of L.T. "No one's ever going to talk about that, yet, that was one of the best plays I've ever seen by a running back."
Playing as the team practices, is also emphasized, Cameron said. The cut Tomlinson made against Law was similar to moves he's seen the running back make in practice many times over.
"We try to tell our players there's no magic wand that gets waved on Sunday," and Tomlinson is one of the best in practice, Cameron said.

Posted by Steve Perez at November 9, 2005 01:50 PM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:32 PM
Hall of Famer

Being in the stands at the 40 yard line, I saw that block that L.T. made. I thought Brees was going to be sacked. LT absolutely crushed that guy coming in.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:34 PM
Power Outage

For a guy his size LT can sure block with the best of them.

Last edited by yodafro; 11-09-2005 at 04:01 PM..
Old 11-09-2005, 03:59 PM
Los Angeles Chargers

Default Up on the site...

Video: Wade Phillips
Video: Cam Cameron

The FREE RealPlayer plug-in is necessary to play the Video clips above.

Old 11-09-2005, 04:33 PM
Knock It Out!

Great interviews Joel!

I have been a fan of Wade Phillips for years. His NFL resume is impressive and he has done wonders with the talent at his disposal. He deserves alot of credit for the Bolts success IMO.

I never knew much about Cam until I started posting here (and most of the info seemed....well, we will leave it at "biased" ) so it was nice to hear his philosophy in his own words.

Vanguard of the Left Behind
Old 11-09-2005, 04:58 PM
TY Kris Dielman

Very cool. Good to hear Cam give his offense 101 explanation for why the offense sometimes struggles. "When we block, everything else falls into place." In other words, "when we don't block, we struggle."

Very cool to get to hear from these guys. I hadn't really thought about it, but that's the first time I've ever actually heard Cam speak.

And FanSince: I don't that you can really call a 20 minute interview a "sound byte."
Old 11-09-2005, 05:22 PM
Dan Fields - Photographer

Thanks a ton Joel. These interviews were great. Thanks for doing things like this Joel. This is why this is the best team website in the NFL.