Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2016, 03:35 PM
Hall of Famer

Default Trade back scenarios

There's quite the contingent of CMBers pining for a trade down for a haul of picks. Assuming we land somewhere around 7-9, are there any plausible scenarios? Here's what I see:

One of the big 3 QBs falls, and someone wants to jump ahead of AZ to grab one. This is the best case as teams will overpay for a potential franchise QB. But who will be the Rams or Eagles of 2017? Redskins if they can't get Cousins done? AND they don't want to franchise him? AND with the RG3 debacle still fresh in their minds? Unlikely. The only other slight possibilities are the Saints, Bills, Texans and Dolphins. I don't see any of the other teams taking a QB in the first, let alone trading up into the top 10 for one. Not to mention the availability of Romo. Not promising at all.

We've also seen teams trading up for stud WRs or freakish EDGE rushers. Compensation is nowhere near as good (see Dion Jordan), but still could be attractive. First, is there a Julio Jones? I really like Mike Williams, and Ross and Davis are interesting, but I don't think anyone will be giving up draft picks to move up for any of them. Highly unlikely.

So how about the EDGE rushers? Garrett is gone in the top 3. The next tier, in my opinion, is Derek Barnett and Tim Williams. I would be thrilled with either at 7 (though Barnett is my preference right now). I see the Ravens and Packers as possibly looking for pass rushing help early on. But would they trade up? I personally don't see a hugedrop off to the next tier (McKinley, Lawson, Harris). Too deep this year. Looks highly unlikely, as well.

I get it, though. My ideal situation would be to trade down to 18-25 with this cluster in mind: Ramcyk, Robinson, McKinley, Lawson, Feeney. But it's not gonna happen.

So, to all you "trade downers", are there any other possibilities?
3rd: Tarell Basham, EDGE, Ohio
4th: Nico Siragusa, OG, SDSU
5th: Josh Dobbs, QB, Tennessee
6th: Brendan Langley, CB, Lamar
7th: Tim Patrick, WR, Utah
Old 12-26-2016, 04:41 PM
Moderator of Insanity

Hate to be the one to break it to you, but the Donks won't trade back MM...
Old 12-26-2016, 07:41 PM
Rookie

TT doesn't trade back
Old 12-26-2016, 08:19 PM
Hall of Famer

have the chargers ever traded back?

Has TT ever traded back?
Old 12-26-2016, 09:03 PM
Hall of Famer

Trade back to where? From 7 to where? Trade back to who? I'm looking, and either we trade Rivers to someone in the first four picks of the draft for their pick, because each one of those teams needs a quarterback, and we keep our number one, or we trade back with the Texans, since they look like they need a quarterback to get them over the hump offensively, and get their 2nd round pick too.

And of course, that's if Rivers agrees to a trade, since he would be the decider. But San Francisco, and the Jaguars, are both in temperate climates, like what he's become used to. The Jaguars would be closer to where he was raised. That might mean something to him. I don't see Rivers remotely interested in the Brown or the Bears.

OP, Who's your trade target"
Old 12-26-2016, 10:27 PM
Veteran

No no no. I do not want to miss out on any blue chip talent just for a bunch of picks. Trade downs won't happen as trade ups are very very costly.

Jonathan Allen
Malik McDowell
Jamal Adams
Mike Williams
Jabrill Peppers
Marlon Humphrey
Teez Tabor

Those are all the blue chip talent we would be missing out on by dropping from 7 to the teens. I want the Chargers to stay put and grab the player who is highest on your board i.e Best Player Available.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:52 PM
more mojo please

Not enough information imo
Thread is way premature
but it's fun to play along so...
I'm inclined to stand pat, I generally like our players than most and am just hoping for an adaquate HC in 2017.
I'd rather get the choice of the first guy in his position vs the second or third, just to gamble on a few extra picks.

If we pick at 7, someone unexpected WILL fall!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:55 PM
more mojo please

I don't want to trade rivers at all but 8dogs brings up SF...
I can't see it but I can understand if rivers thinks he can beat the rams and cards teice for 4 wins and has great games against a Seattle defense.
Would be interesting to see
But I would want more from SF than what the market calls fir an aging elite qb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:57 PM
more mojo please

I know jonathan allen already is getting a lot of love, but he looks unstoppable sometimes... can't imagine what he would look like next to Bosa

Old 12-27-2016, 04:55 AM
Forever San Diego

If the Chargers move to LA I hope they trade back all the way to the 7th round...