Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2017, 11:39 AM
Inez Sainz = Jet Bait!

He doesn't have a stellar record when it comes to injuries. He's over valued his contribution to the entire team. If we start paying $17 million to every good not great player the chargers will go broke. He will probably equal in pay with his tag what he earned for his first 4 years on the team in only one year. Risk aversion on the part of the chargers is not entirely unwarranted...
Old 05-10-2017, 09:38 PM
Chargers Fan since 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPPT1974 View Post
Really can't stand hold outs either. You let the team down. By letting yourself not be a team player.
Guaranteed money in long-term contract > Franchise Tag (FT). One injury can ruin your career. I don't know how much money Brees made in 2005, but I'm sure it was more than the Chargers thought he was worth in 2006 after he got hurt the last game of 2005. Brees was lucky the Saints were willing to give him the contract he wanted. He was really lucky his injury wasn't career-ending.

While it's an obscene amount of money to most of us, playing under a one-year tag does entail a lot of risk.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:22 AM
Inez Sainz = Jet Bait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryAW View Post
Guaranteed money in long-term contract > Franchise Tag (FT). One injury can ruin your career. I don't know how much money Brees made in 2005, but I'm sure it was more than the Chargers thought he was worth in 2006 after he got hurt the last game of 2005. Brees was lucky the Saints were willing to give him the contract he wanted. He was really lucky his injury wasn't career-ending.

While it's an obscene amount of money to most of us, playing under a one-year tag does entail a lot of risk.
It's probably close to what Mike Williams will get paid for his entire 4 year contract signing at #7. The only risk to Ingram is that he might get partially injured and not produce to what he's capable of and thereby his long term contract value would go down for the following year. Why do we want to pay one individual who's not a franchise QB close to one eighth the entire charger payroll.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:26 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
It is a business, and as such, his first obligation is to himself.

I hope both sides find an agreeable number.
Passion for the game is an essential component. Without it, their team is being cheated.
Extended hold outs usually, not always but usually signal the end of a career. They make everyone mad, come to the team in season and out of shape, get hurt, get cut, try to find another sucker somewhere.
Fortunately we are not close to that point with Ingram. It'll be a clue if he doesn't attend mandatory mini-camp Jun 13-15. Training camp starts in mid-late July. We'll know more about his intentions by then.
I'd guess that Ingram really cares about his team & teammates and will do what it takes to have a great season whether it's get a contract done or sign the tag.
As far as the numbers, the difference between $20 mil in the bank or $100 mil is monopoly money. He & his family are in a great position financially either way.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:40 PM
Hall of Famer

Just because a player was franchise tagged doesnt necessarily means he's definitely playing for that team this year. The team can easily rescind that tag (see Josh Norman and Olivier Vernon very recently).
1. Reuben Foster (get a top 5 player without a top 5 pick. Foster will be an absolute monster in the pros). Never enough LBs in the NFL and guys like#51 dont belong in the starting lineup.
2. OL
3. Brad Kaaya (time to look forward to a new era at QB)
4. Joe Mixon RB (talented back who'll drop for off field altercation 2 years ago).
Old 05-11-2017, 03:30 PM
Chargers Fan since 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzubeck View Post
It's probably close to what Mike Williams will get paid for his entire 4 year contract signing at #7. The only risk to Ingram is that he might get partially injured and not produce to what he's capable of and thereby his long term contract value would go down for the following year. Why do we want to pay one individual who's not a franchise QB close to one eighth the entire charger payroll.
I'm very aware of the cap, and I want the Chargers to offer Ingram as little as possible. I vociferously agreed with the Chargers offering Brees an incentive-laden contract because of medical concerns. Merriman's career was ruined by a cheap-shot. All it takes is one. Teams will ditch you in a heartbeat if you can't contribute. If I was a player who reached free agency, like Ingram, I would want a long-term contract. But, I'd be pretty easy to sign, much to the dismay of whomever my agent would be. I'd want the security, but I wouldn't be greedy, unless I was a completely changed person. I'm guessing Ingram wants top dollar. I'm glad I'm not the Capologist having to work with his agent.

Since he has short arms, I hope Ingram is spending all his "off time" doing arm-lengthening exercises.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:01 PM
Inez Sainz = Jet Bait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryAW View Post
I'm very aware of the cap, and I want the Chargers to offer Ingram as little as possible. I vociferously agreed with the Chargers offering Brees an incentive-laden contract because of medical concerns. Merriman's career was ruined by a cheap-shot. All it takes is one. Teams will ditch you in a heartbeat if you can't contribute. If I was a player who reached free agency, like Ingram, I would want a long-term contract. But, I'd be pretty easy to sign, much to the dismay of whomever my agent would be. I'd want the security, but I wouldn't be greedy, unless I was a completely changed person. I'm guessing Ingram wants top dollar. I'm glad I'm not the Capologist having to work with his agent.

Since he has short arms, I hope Ingram is spending all his "off time" doing arm-lengthening exercises.
What safeguards do the chargers have concerning him waiting until the last minute to sign his contract or even wait until the season begins. If players are allowed to do this and not sign when tagged then they should not become eligible to play the current season with any team and they get zero pay for an entire year. I'm not current on the collective bargaining agreement as it stands today.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:58 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
What safeguards do the chargers have concerning him waiting until the last minute to sign his contract or even wait until the season begins. If players are allowed to do this and not sign when tagged then they should not become eligible to play the current season with any team and they get zero pay for an entire year. I'm not current on the collective bargaining agreement as it stands today.
We placed the non exclusive tag.
Quote:
The non-exclusive tag is the same from a fiscal standpoint, but lets players negotiate with other teams, who can make them contract offers. The player’s current team can match any offer sheet, and if they decline to match, then the player’s new team has to send two first-round picks as compensation.
Quote:
The two sides then have until July 15 to work out a long-term contract. If no agreement is reached, the player plays that season under the terms of the one-year franchise tag. Then everything starts over again in the next offseason.
I'm still looking for what the rules are re when they have to sign to join the team but that's not an issue until we reach Jul 15 without a contract.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:50 AM
昇龍拳 Shōryūken

Quote:
Who do you think this is..the Patriots? We're not fighting for a championship, were fighting for 5+ wins or maybe a playoff berth.

Fight for Wildcard Spots.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:00 AM
Inez Sainz = Jet Bait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK46um View Post
Who do you think this is..the Patriots? We're not fighting for a championship, were fighting for 5+ wins or maybe a playoff berth.

Fight for Wildcard Spots.
Maybe that's why they win... they pay their franchise qb the big bucks and everybody else can get to the back of the bus...

Right now I'd even take a 2nd +3rd rounder in next years draft as compensation for Ingram...He's a very good player but I don't see him as the difference maker to the team that he see's himself as...so....what should a team do to glean some kind of value before this explodes in their faces....