Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2017, 09:54 AM
Hall of Famer

Default Chargers OTAs - Post It Here

http://www.chargers.com/news/2017/05...ing-start-otas

Five Things to Watch During Start of OTAs
Tuesday, May 16, 2017 9:00 AM PDT
By Ricky Henne

The final phase of the offseason program officially begins today with the first of 10 Offseason Training Activities (OTAs). Traditional 11-on-11, 9-on-7, and 7-on-7 drills are finally permitted, but any form of live contact is not allowed.

Outside a voluntary veteran mini camp and last weekend’s rookie mini camp, this marks the return of traditional practice as the offense and defense square off. As always, these practices provide a glimpse into plans for this season. While depth charts are fluid and much will change, we should learn a great deal about what Head Coach Anthony Lynn and his staff’s plans are at this moment in time.

So, what are some things to look for when the Bolts take the field?

1. Battle in the Trenches – Lynn made it clear early in the offseason that all three interior line positions are up for grabs on offense. Last year’s starting guards (D.J. Fluker, Orlando Franklin) were released in recent months while the Chargers drafted two highly regarded prospects in second-round pick Forrest Lamp and third-rounder Dan Feeney. Veteran Matt Slauson is capable of playing guard or center, while a pair of second-year centers in Spencer Pulley and Max Tuerk each look to state their case. Throw in versatile guard Kenny Wiggins and there are a number of combinations the Bolts will look for as they decide who’ll line up Week 1 in Denver.

2. Bradley’s Scheme – A lot has been said of the switch on defense from a 3-4 to 4-3 under Defensive Coordinator Gus Bradley. In addition to a change in alignment, Bradley brings with him a change in philosophies and schemes. While we’ve seen bits and pieces of it earlier in the offseason, these OTAs will provide our best glimpse yet as the defense will square off against Philip Rivers and company each day.

3. Who Backs Up Gordon? – Fresh off a Pro Bowl season, Melvin Gordon will be the lead dog in the Bolts’ rushing attack. However, like most teams, Lynn prefers to roll with numerous runners throughout the game. Right now, there is an open competition behind number 28 featuring Kenjon Barner, Branden Oliver, Andre Williams, Kenneth Farrow and recently signed undrafted free agent Austin Ekeler.

4. Which Unrestricted Free Agent Shows Out? – Speaking of undrafted players, the Bolts boast the longest stretch of a college free agent making the team (20). The last two seasons saw four make the squad’s initial 53-man roster in Farrow, Chris Landrum, Spencer Pulley and Dexter McCoil. So, who will be the next to follow in the same footsteps as Antonio Gates, Tyrell Williams, Jahleel Addae and more? We’ll learn a lot more starting with these practices.

5. Returner Rotation – The Bolts also have an open competition when it comes to returning kickoffs and punts. Special Teams Coordinator/Assistant Head Coach George Stewart said Barner and recently drafted Desmond King will get a crack at it as well as Branden Oliver, Travis Benjamin, Isaiah Burse and others. The Chargers struggled in the return game in recent seasons, so finding someone to spark the unit will be front of mind.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:11 AM
Hall of Famer

6. Safeties.....Who and Where should be something to watch for as well.

GO BOLTS !
Old 05-16-2017, 10:20 AM
more mojo please

im always interested in looking at player/coach interactions
and how Lynn runs things, especially first time HCs
tempo, responsiveness, delegation etc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:48 AM
Release DJ Fluker!!

Is it 4PM eastern or western? Usually when NFLN gives times it is eastern.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:01 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
6. Safeties.....Who and Where should be something to watch for as well.
Agreed.

We have a lot of attention being paid there since Gus got hired.

I'm assuming Addae has SS locked down (although I hope there is an open competition there), but FS... is it Boston, Lowery, McCoil, Stuckey, Jenkins (R)?

I feel like Lowery doesn't have much time left on the team. He played for Bradley before and wasn't kept around.

You'd think McCoil is the ideal fit in this system if he could only learn to react quicker.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:28 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Franchise View Post
Agreed.

We have a lot of attention being paid there since Gus got hired.

I'm assuming Addae has SS locked down (although I hope there is an open competition there), but FS... is it Boston, Lowery, McCoil, Stuckey, Jenkins (R)?

I feel like Lowery doesn't have much time left on the team. He played for Bradley before and wasn't kept around.

You'd think McCoil is the ideal fit in this system if he could only learn to react quicker.
Think the FS spot is between Lowery/Boston/King (if they want him there instead of Nickel).

Think McCoil is better closer to the line of scrimmage as a SS, heck why don't we play him at LB some, as thats what he did in the CFL IIRC. At this point I dont see Stuckey as much competition other than special teams.

Jenkins was brought in to fill in at SS I believe, his strong suit is not coverage.

But I think Boston/Lowery are gonna be our candidates for FS, unless injuries happen. I'd expect Boston to win the job but a lot can change from now until week 1.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:29 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDC-SBV-1D View Post
im always interested in looking at player/coach interactions
and how Lynn runs things, especially first time HCs
tempo, responsiveness, delegation etc
From pictures from the rookie mini camp, Lynn was out there running drills with some of the players.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:46 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBowlBolts View Post
Think the FS spot is between Lowery/Boston/King (if they want him there instead of Nickel).

Think McCoil is better closer to the line of scrimmage as a SS, heck why don't we play him at LB some, as thats what he did in the CFL IIRC. At this point I dont see Stuckey as much competition other than special teams.

Jenkins was brought in to fill in at SS I believe, his strong suit is not coverage.

But I think Boston/Lowery are gonna be our candidates for FS, unless injuries happen. I'd expect Boston to win the job but a lot can change from now until week 1.
Didn't McCoil play most of his snaps at FS last year though?

I always looked at it, at least for this year, as

Boston, Lowery, McCoil, Stuckey competing at FS

Jenkins, Addae, Phillips at SS

Also Stuckey in there as basically a ST guys.

There are other players there like undrafted free agents but those are the top 7. The team tends to keep what 4 or 5 safeties?

I think you gotta assume Jenkins and Addae are locks due to Jenkins just being drafted and Addae with the contract this year.

Let's say Boston wins the starting FS job, I think the team is more likely to keep McCoil over Lowery due to age and potential. However Bradley could not see McCoil fitting in his defense so maybe not.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:07 PM
Hall of Famer

CMB will need thorough reports on these
Organized Activities.

Okung--Slauson--Pulley--Lamp--Barksdale
Old 05-16-2017, 12:10 PM
Learn to THINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt4Life View Post
Is it 4PM eastern or western? Usually when NFLN gives times it is eastern.
"Up to the Minute" is on at 1pm PST.

"NFL Total Access is on at 4pm PST.

Who knows which one. Neither one lists OTA's, and both look to be league-wide shows, in any event.