Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Around the NFL
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 06:19 AM

Lightbulb Brees signs 6-year, $60m deal with Saints (was contract talks)

Quote:
By Kevin Acee
STAFF WRITER
February 10, 2006
The Chargers have made their initial offer for a long-term contract to quarterback Drew Brees' agent, General Manager A.J. Smith confirmed yesterday.
The team has yet to hear back from Tom Condon regarding the proposal, which was sent Monday.
“I have no idea where it goes from here,” Smith said.
Condon declined comment. While no hard deadline is imminent, the Chargers and Brees likely have just a week's window remaining to reach a deal.
Smith, who has been a man of his word so far as general manager, has said the team will decide whether to designate Brees a franchise or transition player a week before the Feb. 23 deadline to do so.
It is almost certain that if no deal is reached in the interim, the Chargers will designate Brees a franchise or transition player so they do not risk losing him without compensation or a chance to match a competing offer.
Brees would become an unrestricted free agent if he is not designated one or the other.
As a franchise player Brees can negotiate with other teams, but the Chargers would have the right to match any offer or receive two first-round draft picks from the team that signs him. As a transition player, Brees can also negotiate with suitors, and the Chargers would be able to match an offer but not receive draft picks as compensation if they declined.
Brees' 2006 salary as a franchise or transition player would be approximately $9.7 million. That salary would be guaranteed if he is a franchise player. As a transition player, he would have to make the opening-day roster.
Given the fact Brees is recovering from shoulder surgery and will not be able to throw until May and might not regain full strength even by training camp, it is likely he will be designated a transition player so the salary is not guaranteed.
Brees last year threw for 3,576 yards, most in franchise history for someone not named Dan Fouts. He also threw 24 touchdown passes and was intercepted 15 times. Over the past two seasons his passer rating of 96.1 ranks fifth in the NFL. In addition to Brees' injury, the Chargers have leverage in backup Philip Rivers, who despite persistent rumors involving his being traded, will be a Charger in 2006.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont...1s10brees.html

And the negotiating begins... :9:
Old 02-10-2006, 06:22 AM
boltskickass21

double post, but all right!
Old 02-10-2006, 06:28 AM
Diplomacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikeman83
AJ maybe feeling pressure to let the public know an offer is out but if the Charger's are serious about locking Drew up to a long term contract, look for minimal discussion in the press - from both sides - until a deal is done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:35 AM

I could care less if there is minimal discussion or if there's a media frenzy... as long as we lock Drew up through 2011.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:51 AM
Legend

I wonder if its even remotely close to what Brees and his guy are expecting
Old 02-10-2006, 06:56 AM
Hall of Famer

I hope there is a cap friendly incentive base clause so we dont get JETSitis!
Old 02-10-2006, 07:12 AM
Hall of Famer

At least they are talking and that is a good sign.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:15 AM
Hall of Famer

I think it is a bad sign... Aj justs signs deals then reports... he is spining this so when he lowballs he can say to the media that brees agent was unreasonable and then elt him go or slap him with transition... for 1 year
Old 02-10-2006, 08:03 AM
Hall of Famer

It's probably very incentive heavy at this point. I'd guess that there will be some negotiation with Condon trying to get more base and less incentives. But you know, at this point, with the shoulder in question, AJ needs to protect the chargers with a contract that doesn't pay of Brees isn't the same. It hasn't been proven that he'll have the same accuracy and arm strength. AJ probably goes to sleep at night hearing the word, "Pennington..."

I'm guessing that Brees might just try and make the incentives higher and sign it. The guy has no shortage of confidence. He seems to fully believe that he can hit any incentive, in any contract, of any QB in the league. If he shoulder is the same as before, he probably can. The chargers might have to pay out the ass when he hits those benchmarks, but if he's doing that good there will be rings and Lombardi trophies involved so no one will care.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:08 AM
Guff the Wise

Default Inside the Numbers - by Guff

I have had many Charger fans begging me to do the statistical review of Brees' performance in the 2005 season. They were wondering, "Did Brees have a good year? Is he the guy to take us to the next level? Guff... help us! Please!"

Well Chargers faithful, I have heard your pleas and I have examined Brees' performance using Guff's Secret Formulaic Statistics and will offer you my analysis.

To recap Brees' so-called excellent performance of the 2004 season, my analysis indicated that Brees' performed exceptionally well against bad pass defenses (as measured by QBR allowed), but struggled mightily against the top pass defenses, recording a miserable QBR in the 60s. I had prognosticated at that time that Brees would struggle in 2005 as he was projected to face more decent pass defenses, and I questioned whether Brees could take the Chargers to the playoffs.

As it turned out, Brees led the Chargers to a disappointing 9-7 season, which was inadequate to qualify for the playoffs.

While Brees' overall QB Rating was good, he struggled yet again against good pass defenses.

Against the Top 10 pass defenses, Brees compiled the following statistics:

103/178, 1,156 Yards, 4 TD, 8 Ints, QBR: 66.1

Against the mediocre/poor pass defenses, Brees compiled the following statistics:

220/322, 2,420 Yards, 20 TD, 7 Ints, QBR: 102.0

Jekyl and Hyde? Not if you paid attention to my analysis last year. Brees struggles mightily against good pass defenses. So the question is: Can Brees take us to the next level? I don't believe he can. He's great against bad pass defenses and perhaps that is good enough to make the playoffs (if we have a weak schedule), but I wouldn't expect the Chargers to go far against the elite teams.

It is time to give Philip Rivers his opportunity. Don't create another disappointing year by going with Brees for 2006. Good luck Chargers faithful!
Closed Thread