Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2004, 06:29 PM
iodude122

Default What is a charger

I am a little confused by our logo. Is the team logo based on an electrical charge or on a war horse?

Old 09-17-2004, 06:44 PM
TrumpetDude

A War Horse who Bolts man !!!
Old 09-17-2004, 07:16 PM
Thunderhead

Correct me if I'm wrong (won't be the first time) but waaaaaaaaay back when the stadium was in it's first
year, the scoreboard (built by CUBIC corp.) would run an animated Knight in armour with a lance
sitting atop his charger (horse). There was a "Union Army" trumpet charge followed by the sound of galloping hooves. Very simple but it got the point across. This would run after scoring. About 20 seconds.

What was really cool and simpler yet that season was an AZTEC game where they made Montezuma
wink. HEY - this was before Atari man.

Ah, those were the days, Gene "Golden Wheels" Foster, John Hadl, Steve Tensi, but I digress.

So I guess it was based on a horse. But ya gotta love those lightning bolts.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:18 PM
geekster

Default RE: What is a charger

Shhh... don't tell any body the name originally came from credit cards...
Old 09-17-2004, 07:20 PM
Thunderhead

Geekster, I had heard that to because of Barron Hilton...didn't he invent Bankamericard or something?
Old 09-17-2004, 08:18 PM
TY Kris Dielman

Yeah, a Charger is an(usually) armored warhorse specifically bred and trained for lancers. You ever seen A Knight's Tale or been to Medieval Times? The horses the knight's ride are called chargers. The original charger for the football team was crested with lightning bolts, and the rest is history.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:23 PM
TrumpetDude

Now this is where I get a little hazy (hey it happens) - didn't the Chargers horse which ran out onto the field run over a player or coach in the mid 60's and thereby the Chargers Horse was banned from the field ? Does anyone remember this story or did I dream it ? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2004, 08:28 PM
iodude122

Thanks guys I never knew there was this much to it.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:01 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Thunderhead
Geekster, I had heard that to because of Barron Hilton...didn't he invent Bankamericard or something?
I watched every game the LA Chargers played, and the name isn't from the charge card, it was from the name of the white horse and the trumpet charge, the horse was the USC horse that carried the Trojon warrior. I remember the annoucers and the papers talking about the trumpet charge and the horse in 1960, and credit cards were never mentioned.[img]i/expressions/SDG_Bolt.gif[/img]

Old 09-17-2004, 09:33 PM
First member of the board

I agree with IM. It may well be true that Baron Hilton liked the idea of the tie in with the charge card thing but that really wasn't how it started. I can't remember ever seeing the horse run over anyone. In fact, I think the Chiefs still have an Indian ride a horse around, don't they. The shield with he bolt on it has been changed several times over the years.

Hilton was a son of the founder of the Hilton Hotels and he was tight as a small shoe. The Chargers organization was run out of an old hotel on El Cajon Blvd. - the Lafayette Hotel. They had a night club in the place an you could often find Chargers coaches in there. They practiced at a public park in LaMesa and you could go watch them practice every day. Many people did, including the newsmen. Those guys that started this franchise wouldn't believe the setup the Chargers have now - they've come a long way. Now if they could just become a winner again!