Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2004, 01:16 PM
1960BoltFan

Default New Chargers Book!!! - The 1960s

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chargeroo
Ah, the pre-merger days! Remember all the great stories at draft time? For you younger people, before the merger the AFL and NFL each had their own draft. Many of the first round picks would be first round picks in both drafts. The teams then would try to hide the player until he was signed. They'd send someone from the team to take the drafted player to some hotel and "hide" them. They'd wine and dine them and bring in "girls of the night" for them. As you would imagine, Al Davis was among the best at that sort of thing. The league itself even got into the act. One year the draft date had been announced as usual but to get a jump on the NFL, the GM's held a "telephone draft" of the first few rounds a few days before the draft. They dispatched people to the various schools to get the top picks signed before the NFL had even held it's draft. Not only that, they didn't announce the signings until after the NFL draft, so many teams in the NFL drafted players that already had a signed contract with an AFL team.

Sometimes a team got lucky. In 1962 the Chargers first pick was a big fullback from Ohio State named Bob Furgeson. He had broken all kinds of Big Ten records. Unfortunately, the Steelers (then an NFL member) had also chosen Bob and he signed with them for a very high price (for those times). As a Charger fan I was very upset to hear the Steelers had beaten the Chargers out for the first pick. As luck would have it, Furgeson was a bust and the Bolts had dodged a bullet. - Sometimes you win by losing. [img][/img]

I remember the stories of the AFL-NFL war for draft choices too. The Lance Alworth story is great, it is hard to admit we owe Al Davis for that one.
It was really a better system then. College players had a real chance to play at the next level. I really think we should have a rival league to the NFL (besides Arena Football and CFL).. At least that gives good players the chance to comete.
Who know maybe the "other" league would have spared us Cryin Ryan!
Old 10-21-2004, 01:18 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by: pgorsy
"Eowawa" brought up Don Norton. There he was, #88.
It's funny, the only way I can remember a phone number is by assigning former and present Charger players uni numbers as the phone number.... 748-woodrow lowe-chuck muncie or 485-John Jefferson-Louie Kelcher.

Crazy how much of my life has been affected by Charger football.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2004, 01:19 PM
AFLChargers

How about the original Fearsome Foursome - Ron Nery, Ernie Ladd, Bill Hudson, Earl Faison.

Or the 1960 offensive line of Ernie Wright, Sam DeLuca, Don Rogers, Fred Cole and Ron Mix. Paul Lowe and Charlie Flowers in the backfield. Jack Kemp at QB, with Kocourek at tight end and Don Norton, Royce Womble or Howard Clark split out wide.

Dick Westmoreland, Sam Gruneisen, George Blair, Bob Mitinger, Bud Whitehead, George "Mr. Muscles" Gross, Bob Petrich, Gary Garrison, Jeff Staggs, Rick Redman, Steve DeLong, Herb Travenio - a postman by day and Chargers kicker by night?

Anyway, there's a few to jog the memory.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:22 PM
1960BoltFan

Quote:
Originally posted by: Eowawa
My favorite was the late Don Norton who I met in 1961 or 62 while working at a Iowa gas station when he pulled in a new shiney Olds Starfire. I didn't even recognize him, but was just sort of chit chating as I washed his windshield about pheasant hunting. He said he loved to go, but playing football now kept him from the area now and he sure missed it and his days growing up near Anamosa. I asked him where he played and he told me...oh I'm on a team on the west coast now, the San Diego Chargers. It wasn't 'til then I realized I was talking to the former Iowa star....Don Norton. I swear he would never have even mentioned it had I not asked why he couldn't hunt those birds in the fall with me. I did get his autograph too, but it was on an APCO Oil credit slip so I had to turn it in, ha, ha. I never thought about it actually. I told him I was a student at Iowa now and he told me to be sure and support the Hawkeyes as much as I could. He said that support means everything to the players and without it, it just wouldn't be worth playing a single down. I was so sorry to learn of his passing a few years back.
That is a great story. I never got to meet in person any of the '60 players.
The one great athelete I got to know really well from the era was Duke Snider. He was IronMountain's and my church youth group leader. We got to play softball with him, bowl with him. He and his wife Bev were awesome people.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:31 PM
1960BoltFan

Quote:
Originally posted by: AFLChargers
How about the original Fearsome Foursome - Ron Nery, Ernie Ladd, Bill Hudson, Earl Faison.

Or the 1960 offensive line of Ernie Wright, Sam DeLuca, Don Rogers, Fred Cole and Ron Mix. Paul Lowe and Charlie Flowers in the backfield. Jack Kemp at QB, with Kocourek at tight end and Don Norton, Royce Womble or Howard Clark split out wide.

Dick Westmoreland, Sam Gruneisen, George Blair, Bob Mitinger, Bud Whitehead, George "Mr. Muscles" Gross, Bob Petrich, Gary Garrison, Jeff Staggs, Rick Redman, Steve DeLong, Herb Travenio - a postman by day and Chargers kicker by night?

Anyway, there's a few to jog the memory.
OK show off, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] what do you take for your memory? I mean I couldn't come up with guys like Royce Womble or Howard Clark. I can't even remember them when you mention their names.
Although I believe Jeff Staggs was later like the late 60's or even the 70's. A linebacker out of San Diego St.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:44 PM
AFLChargers

OK show off, [img][/img] what do you take for your memory? I mean I couldn't come up with guys like Royce Womble or Howard Clark. I can't even remember them when you mention their names.

Although I believe Jeff Staggs was later like the late 60's or even the 70's. A linebacker out of San Diego St.

No, it is not from memory, just research. I am the author of the book. I am 31 years old, so I don't "remember" any of these guys. I wasn't born until 3 years after the leagues merged. But I have sure enjoyed reading all of these posts. There are some great stories in here. I hope that you all are able to check out this book. I think it will bring back even more great memories. And if you are interested in seeing it, drop me a private message. I would really enjoy meeting some of you and hearing more of your stories. Thanks, Todd

Old 10-21-2004, 02:02 PM
pgorsy

Jimmy Allison was a running back#32, out of San Diego State who played for us as well. There was a running back out of the CFL named Jerry Mcdougal #32,who played briefly well before Allison, and an offensive lineman out of USC named Pat Shea,#64. Did anybody bring up Frank Buncom,#55, or the great(when he felt like playing) Willie Frazier#83? Jacqe Mackinnon was the lowest draft choice ever to make an AFL roster, #38, a tight end out of Colgate who once caught a ball that bounced off his foot and shot right back up in the air. This is fun. Oh yeah...#37 Gene Foster, the best pre-season running back in the history of football.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:11 PM
AFLChargers

Linebacker Emil Karas. Quarterbacks(and later coaches and offensive coordinators) Dan Henning and Don Breaux. Lineman Gary Kirner, John Farris, Ernie Park and Terry Owens. Houston Ridge, Scott Appleton and Hank Schmidt at DL. Jimmy Warren at DB, Jerry Robinson at receiver...
Old 10-21-2004, 02:26 PM
pgorsy

My bad, the running back out of the CFL who I said was #32 was actually #20 and his name was Gerry Mcdougall, not Jerry. He played in College at UCLA but I'm pretty sure he was playing in Canada when the Chargers signed him. We also had a running back named Russ Smith #20 who played in the late '60's. I have to admit, now I'm looking up stuff on the web. Before, I was just using my head. Curiosity made me look up Royce Womble and Howard Clark because I didn't remeber them either, but sure enough, there they are.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:30 PM
geekster

Gentlemen - I want to thank each of you who have contributed to this thread! You have taken me back to being a teenager setting in the Colliseum and brought back some *VERY* happy memories from an otherwise not-so-happy period in my life. You've made me remember (yet again) some of my earliest HEROS of the old AFL - guys that will obviously never be forgotten by a lot of us - and brought me a ton of joy with those stories and rememberances...

Thank YOU!
-=dave=-