Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2006, 06:27 AM
Veteran

Default ProFootball Weekly-Chargers Wide Recievers

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...m?mode=afcwest

The Way We Hear it-
San Diego

It hasn’t taken long, but the Chargers’ WR corps has gone from a group that seemed to be severely lacking in playmakers two years ago to a stable that now doesn’t have room for a former first-rounder whom the team traded for only this spring. Rashaun Woods, a bust to date as the 49ers’ first-round pick in 2004, was released by the Chargers just days into training camp. General manager A.J. Smith indicated the Chargers are “really comfortable” with the other six receivers who have been in the program for some time. Woods’ tender hamstring didn’t help his chances, but the progress shown by youngsters Malcolm Floyd, Greg Camarillo and especially Vincent Jackson, a second-round pick a year ago, sealed Woods’ fate. Slowed by an Achilles tendon injury and then a strained calf in his first training camp and into the regular season, Jackson was a nonfactor as a rookie. Yet now that he’s healthy and has a firm understanding of the offense and a budding rapport with new QB Philip Rivers, sources say the 6-5, 235-pound Jackson is finding a nice comfort level and a sense of confidence that should make him a factor sooner rather than later.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:59 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltzaQtion
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...m?mode=afcwest

The Way We Hear it-
San Diego

It hasn’t taken long, but the Chargers’ WR corps has gone from a group that seemed to be severely lacking in playmakers two years ago to a stable that now doesn’t have room for a former first-rounder whom the team traded for only this spring. Rashaun Woods, a bust to date as the 49ers’ first-round pick in 2004, was released by the Chargers just days into training camp. General manager A.J. Smith indicated the Chargers are “really comfortable” with the other six receivers who have been in the program for some time. Woods’ tender hamstring didn’t help his chances, but the progress shown by youngsters Malcolm Floyd, Greg Camarillo and especially Vincent Jackson, a second-round pick a year ago, sealed Woods’ fate. Slowed by an Achilles tendon injury and then a strained calf in his first training camp and into the regular season, Jackson was a nonfactor as a rookie. Yet now that he’s healthy and has a firm understanding of the offense and a budding rapport with new QB Philip Rivers, sources say the 6-5, 235-pound Jackson is finding a nice comfort level and a sense of confidence that should make him a factor sooner rather than later.
Yes!!! May the eye-opening of the national media begin!!! The "we can't believe they didn't address the WR position" banter was getting old!
Old 08-12-2006, 11:02 AM
Hall of Famer

So now we have the Best Defensive Front 7, Best RB, Best TE, anyone wanna go for best WR in VJ?
Old 08-12-2006, 11:37 AM
Madness? This is Chargers

I like Profootballweekly, at least that's what I think the name of the magazine was. Their recent one had a very indepth article on the new breed of safeties and analysis of the offensivie line positions.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:02 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBowlBolts
So now we have the Best Defensive Front 7, Best RB, Best TE, anyone wanna go for best WR in VJ?
Here's hoping.

Taylor Mays Countdown back on, 3 years running! 1 year to go. O-line please.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:49 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:

Not yet. VJ still seems to have trouble on balls that get to his body in that even though he is catching them they are bobbled some. When he catches the ball with his hands though he makes the football look like a pea with his massive hands
Old 08-12-2006, 04:23 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDChargeHer
Not yet. VJ still seems to have trouble on balls that get to his body in that even though he is catching them they are bobbled some. When he catches the ball with his hands though he makes the football look like a pea with his massive hands
I know its not yet. Im just saying anyone wanna go for it? He has a chance to be just that
Old 08-12-2006, 04:25 PM
Bad Enough Dude

Thanks for posting the article. I was thinking originally that Woods was released because he wasn't putting in 100% effort or had attitude problems. Now hearing this kind of info makes me believe Woods did all he could and to not even have room for a 1st rounder is amazing.

I can't wait to see McCardell (I think he'll have a better season than last year), parker, VJ, Osgood, Floyd, and Camarillo (I hope he keeps a spot on the roster). I'm even more anxious to see the last 4 recievers I mentioned in the game tonight.

1 more question, does anyone know which team Woods has signed with now?

If something is not good enough for your needs, why buy it?

Raiders' Fans, this is your new quarterback - http://youtube.com/watch?v=cS4Gs5USL...Aaron%20Brooks

"I for one welcome our new Tomlinson Overlord!"
Old 08-12-2006, 04:31 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakkaWakkaWakka
Thanks for posting the article. I was thinking originally that Woods was released because he wasn't putting in 100% effort or had attitude problems. Now hearing this kind of info makes me believe Woods did all he could and to not even have room for a 1st rounder is amazing.

I can't wait to see McCardell (I think he'll have a better season than last year), parker, VJ, Osgood, Floyd, and Camarillo (I hope he keeps a spot on the roster). I'm even more anxious to see the last 4 recievers I mentioned in the game tonight.

1 more question, does anyone know which team Woods has signed with now?
Woods failed his physical with the Donkeys. Part of what kept Woods out was his injuries
Old 12-23-2006, 02:57 AM
<--- Bolt

Quote:
Soon. Very Soon.
3rd: Robert Alford, Southeastern Louisiana
4th: Chase Thomas, OLB - Stanford
5th: Ty Powell, MLB - Harding
6th: Ricky Wagner, OT - Wisconsin
7th: Steve Means, OLB - Buffalo