Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2006, 09:05 AM
Leave Blank

Default Flutie gets his own Wheaties Box

Flutie gets his own Wheaties Box

Associated Press

9/7/2006 9:36:49 AM

BOSTON (AP) - Doug Flutie's appearance on a Wheaties box puts the final stamp on a career that started more than two decades ago when he put Boston College football on the map.

The cereal depicts Flutie in the arms of now-deceased offensive lineman Steve Trapilo after Flutie hit Gerard Phelan with a desperation pass on the final play of the Eagles' 47-45 win over Miami in the Orange Bowl.

"That's pretty cool for a kid that grew up thinking he wasn't going to play college football," Flutie said when the new Wheaties box was unveiled at Boston College.

The 1984, play - and Flutie's Heisman Trophy, which followed just over a week later - rank as the top achievements in BC football history.

The Eagles haven't beaten Miami since - and Flutie, recently retired after a 21-year professional career, will be in the broadcast booth when BC visits Miami on Thanksgiving.

Flutie, who said he never actually saw Phelan catch the pass because his view was blocked by other players, played in the USFL, CFL (where he was named MVP six times) and NFL before ending his pro career last season with a drop-kick extra point for the New England Patriots in the regular-season finale.

General Mills Inc. officials said U.S. college athletes adorned Wheaties boxes often in the 1940s and '50s, but couldn't recall any since.

"To throw your name in that circle of names, that's pretty special," Flutie said.

This is Flutie's second stab at the cereal game. His Flutie Flakes, a fundraiser for the Flutie Jr. Foundation for Autism, aimed at helping families caring for children with autism, like Flutie's son Doug Jr., have been on the market for several years.

It's not my fault that I never learned to accept responsibility
Old 09-07-2006, 09:09 AM
< ---- LEGEND

Good for him, he deserves it. "The little engine who could"
Old 09-07-2006, 09:33 AM
IndianaCharger

thats terrific
Old 09-07-2006, 09:36 AM
bwells

I remember him running for a touchdown against the Vikings a few years ago. He put an LT-like move on one of the defenders trying to tackle him. He just completely juked him and ran right into the end zone.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:23 PM
TJ21

There you go Dougie! Enjoy it! A man of undeterred heart and class. I've never been sadder to see an ex-charger retire from another team.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:33 PM

I am going to start eating cereal now.

Flutie is the man!