Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Can Merriman win his appeal on the steroid use charge?
Yes 109 47.39%
No 121 52.61%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 05:51 PM
redwards

Default Can Merriman win his appeal?

From what I'm seeing, probably not.

Quote:
Quote:
In a fan Q&A column, which apparently was prepared in the 2006 offseason, Merriman is asked: "What's the name of the gym where you train in Mission Valley ? Is your trainer available to the public? What supliments [sic] do you take if any? Is there anywhere on your website that I could find one of your daily workouts?"

Answer: "Well I actually train in La Jolla and at the Chargers Facility. I am not taking any supplements at this time."

Regardless, it doesn't matter. As one league insider explained to us, the standard in the NFL is strict liability. If it's in your body, you're in violation of the policy. Period.

--from ProFootballTalk.com

Anyone else have any other info?

Last edited by redwards; 10-24-2006 at 05:53 PM..
Old 10-24-2006, 05:53 PM
Laff7

Probably not but it's smart for him to try cause it helps the team while phillips is out
Old 10-24-2006, 05:55 PM
Laff7

Even if he can't appeal it apprently he won't be suspended for atleast 2 more weeks cause his appeal takes place on Nov 7. They even said he may be able to play on the 12th we'll see.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:59 PM
Obtain Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laff7
Even if he can't appeal it apprently he won't be suspended for atleast 2 more weeks cause his appeal takes place on Nov 7. They even said he may be able to play on the 12th we'll see.
Todays San Diego sports section news. It said that Merriman will play at least 2 weeks like you mention until his appeal takes place.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:03 PM
You CAN'T Run!

his appeal takes place on nov 7th. There is no way that the NFL will let this go, no matter what. The substance was there, regardless how it got there. He'll be suspended but I don't think he took steroids. It just comes down to the fact that the NFL will take a stand and will not allow anyone to slide for any reason.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:06 PM
<---------- the new #33

IMO i think it's possible he can win this on appeal. i am not sure how much the exposure because of the breach of confidentiality helps or hurts his case though. The lawyer said he's already won one of these cases on appeal before so anything's possible it would seem.

Oh and to add to that, if the supplement was on the NFL's list of ok supplements as igor's interview almost leads me to believe it could have been, then the NFL may come out of this looking worse than merriman.

Old 10-24-2006, 06:08 PM
RIP #55

I voted NO

Old 10-24-2006, 06:14 PM
2006 PICK'EM CHAMPION!!!

I don't think he will win. He will be able to delay it until the 12th of November according to espn.

Quote:
Merriman could be on the field even beyond the next two games. The earliest the suspension could take effect, it appears, is for the Nov. 12 game at Cincinnati. And that's if there is an expeditious ruling after the appeals hearing.
And that way we should have his services for the first Denver game.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:15 PM
RIP #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanluischargerfan
I don't think he will win. He will be able to delay it until the 12th of November according to espn.

And that we will should have his services for the first Denver game.
That is stupid, he should take the suspension now!!!!!!!

If he puts it off until the 12th, he would miss both Denver games, which IMO are HUGE if we want to get into the pre-season

Old 10-24-2006, 06:17 PM
All-Pro

Default It's posible...

...but not probable. His laywer has won an appeal already on this premise, there is precedent, but who can say if he will win THIS appeal...