Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espańol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2006, 12:59 PM
San Diego Chargers

Default Chargers ink Wilhelm to five-year contract extension

Chargers ink Wilhelm to five-year contract extension

The San Diego Chargers have signed inside linebacker Matt Wilhelm to a five-year contract extension that runs through the 2011 season. Wilhelm was due to become an Unrestricted Free Agent upon the expiration of his current contract after this season. No other terms of the new contract were announced.

“Matt is one of this team’s rising young defensive players,” said General Manager A.J. Smith. “He has played solid football when called upon at the inside ‘backer position and has been very productive as a special teams player. We are pleased that we will have Matt with us for years to come.”

Wilhelm, 6-4, 245, is in his fourth season with the Chargers after being drafted in the fourth round in 2003 out of Ohio State. He has played 39 NFL games, including all 30 games in 2005-06. Wilhelm has made key contributions on both defense and special teams. This season he ranks among the team leaders with 13 special teams tackles and also has 14 tackles on defense.

“I’m just glad we were able to get this done now,” Wilhelm said. “I wanted to be here and the organization wanted me to be here. I know the defense and now that I’ve been in Wade Phillips’ system for three years, I can go out there and do my job to the best of my ability. I’m still just 25 years old and would love to play my entire career in San Diego. I love being a part of this team. I didn’t want to go anywhere else because I love playing with the group of guys we have here.”

Last edited by joelbolt; 12-23-2006 at 01:01 PM..
Old 12-23-2006, 01:01 PM
netsroc123

great signing!!!
Old 12-23-2006, 01:02 PM

nice job AJ

I am amazing like LaDainian, in a different way
Old 12-23-2006, 01:03 PM
Let's Go Bolts

YES!!!

Godfrey is retiring, and it sounds like we aren't keeping Donnie (which is stupid), but this opens up spots for Wilhelm and Cooper, 2 young promising LBs.

Any idea on if we have Cooper signed through at least next year?
Old 12-23-2006, 01:03 PM
Disapointed. As Usual.

More and more pieces of the puzzle getting their payday. This nucleus of players could keep us on top of the AFC for a long time.

Great job AJ.....

All The Way From Maryland, Die Hard & Life Long, GO BOLTS!!! *SPANK*
Old 12-23-2006, 01:04 PM
EGClutch

Good job. I wonder how this will affect the draft. It looks like Safety is the #1 priority now.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:04 PM
Chargers Fan since 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelbolt
Chargers ink Wilhelm to five-year contract extension

The San Diego Chargers have signed inside linebacker Matt Wilhelm to a five-year contract extension that runs through the 2011 season. Wilhelm was due to become an Unrestricted Free Agent upon the expiration of his current contract after this season. No other terms of the new contract were announced.

“Matt is one of this team’s rising young defensive players,” said General Manager A.J. Smith. “He has played solid football when called upon at the inside ‘backer position and has been very productive as a special teams player. We are pleased that we will have Matt with us for years to come.”

Wilhelm, 6-4, 245, is in his fourth season with the Chargers after being drafted in the fourth round in 2003 out of Ohio State. He has played 39 NFL games, including all 30 games in 2005-06. Wilhelm has made key contributions on both defense and special teams. This season he ranks among the team leaders with 13 special teams tackles and also has 14 tackles on defense.

“I’m just glad we were able to get this done now,” Wilhelm said. “I wanted to be here and the organization wanted me to be here. I know the defense and now that I’ve been in Wade Phillips’ system for three years, I can go out there and do my job to the best of my ability. I’m still just 25 years old and would love to play my entire career in San Diego. I love being a part of this team. I didn’t want to go anywhere else because I love playing with the group of guys we have here.”
That's great news. If anyone has any questions how the Chargers view Wilhelm, I think they've been answered.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:06 PM
SB 43, Tampa Bay or Bust!

More of AJ taking care of the house, good deal. Hopefully this is a sign to getting around to wrapping up our unextended guys like Dielman Phillips and Flo. Matt has been playin well as back up and 3rd down situations
Old 12-23-2006, 01:07 PM
Masta Mason

Yeah!!!!!!!! Matt Is My Dad!!!!!!!
Old 12-23-2006, 01:08 PM
Let's Go Bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastaflan
Yeah!!!!!!!! Matt Is My Dad!!!!!!!
??????????????????????