Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2007, 07:20 AM
The Realist Moderator

Default Sidney Rice announces eligibility for the 2007 Draft!!

Oh boy...San Diego....you're on the clock. He's a great prospect worth checking out. Not too great of a year this year because of some young inexperienced QB's in an a highly explosive offensive of Steve Spurrier but I think I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Chargers Blue uniform. Seen a few games of his where he does have very good speed and great hands.

For where we will be drafting, it would be hard to get a Calvin Johnson or even a Dwayne Bowe.

Meachem vs Rice.....you decide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2nozLQhxd4
Old 01-08-2007, 10:16 AM
LT's Father

And now all the damn mock drafts will have us taking him...lame.

“I believe with a certainty, in my opinion, he is the finest running back I have ever seen in professional football."
Old 01-08-2007, 10:19 AM
CromartUserPick

I'm praying for either Rice or Meachem. I'm fairly happy with our receiving corp and wasn't a big proponent of drafting a receiver with our first pick, but I absolutely love both these guys and I think they will both be stars, especially Rice. At least one of them should still be around at 32 and possiblely both. And if we did spend our first on a receiver there will still be plenty of good S and ILB prospects in the later rounds. I really like Anthony Waters from Clemson and Michael Johnson from Arizona as possibilities.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:06 AM
Old Guys Rule...

I was very enthusiastic about Sidney at the beginning of the season, and had him in preseason, battling CALVIN for the top WR picked... Sidney did not have a good year...

I expected him to have more "it", and "it" wasn't there in many games... especially the Auburn game where they really needed him to step up... he actually got out jump-balled by OLB Will Herring (6-3 220 4.70) in the end zone on a crucial TD oppportunity...

loads of talent, but may require more "inner motivation"... just a feeling... it's good he's coming out for us, as it will/could open up additional opportunities - including drafting him...
Old 01-08-2007, 11:10 AM
Disapointed. As Usual.

There is an element of immaturity that could happen here. He's only got 2 years of college exp. Although he is listed at 4.45 40time I have seen 4.65 posted on a web-site. His freshman year was wonderful. He had some big numbers despite being in the tough SEC. He made it known that he is moving on for financial reasons ( how hard will he work after he gets his signing bonus) Since money is driving his movement will he be a lengthy TC hold-out? Will immaturaty be an issue? We already have enough off the field issues with players now. We dont need another player who may have character issues.

I think he's a risky first rounder. Just my opinion. Troy Williamson tried it after his soph season and wowed everyone with his speed, then showed he really didnt belong in the NFL yet. I know you really cant compare one to the other here, just throwing it out there.

All The Way From Maryland, Die Hard & Life Long, GO BOLTS!!! *SPANK*
Old 01-08-2007, 11:12 AM
Formerly GoTomlinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank
There is an element of immaturity that could happen here. He's only got 2 years of college exp. Although he is listed at 4.45 40time I have seen 4.65 posted on a web-site. His freshman year was wonderful. He had some big numbers despite being in the tough SEC. He made it known that he is moving on for financial reasons ( how hard will he work after he gets his signing bonus) Since money is driving his movement will he be a lengthy TC hold-out? Will immaturaty be an issue? We already have enough off the field issues with players now. We dont need another player who may have character issues.

I think he's a risky first rounder. Just my opinion. Troy Williamson tried it after his soph season and wowed everyone with his speed, then showed he really didnt belong in the NFL yet. I know you really cant compare one to the other here, just throwing it out there.
Sounds like another Antonio Cromartie situation, though Cro entered the draft to help out his sick family.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:15 AM
The Realist Moderator

Quote:

I know what you mean...Troy Williamson himself got some run ins with the law too I believe in his Rookie Year. Does it equate to having Rice in the same situation...maybe not. Combine results will boost his stock up much like Williamson's. The video that I posted was from his 2005 campaign...because I don't see the QB he's currently catching balls from this year.

We'll see what happens in more than a month and a half from now.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Hall of Famer

I'm nervous about any offensive player from a Spurrier coached team.

There's been a lot more that have failed than have had even the slightest success.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:08 PM
Draft Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTfan4life
I'm nervous about any offensive player from a Spurrier coached team.

There's been a lot more that have failed than have had even the slightest success.
Well to get a little technical he was signed by Lou Holtz and got his publicity with Holtz before Spurrier but still I am not sold on him just due to his play not his coach.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:12 PM
Draft Nut

Quote:

Troy shot up the boards like a rocket after his combine , all those teams loved his speed . It seems that a lot of these high draft choices read the press clippings and believe them.

If they understand it still takes a lot of work then some pan out while others are a bust. The thing is that drafting a good WR in the lower rounds is just behind winning the lottery it happens but don't count on it.