Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 01:02 PM
Veteran

Default Questions about trading MT on draft day

I have some questions about trading MT on draft day:

Does MT have to sign his tender offer from the Chargers before draft day, before the Chargers have the right to trade him? (I assume so. If he waits, as Gates did in 2005, then we can't trade him?)

What are people's opinions as to what kind of long term contract MT can get from our trade partner? How does it compare (salary cap wise, in 2007 and beyond) to the draft picks our trade partner won't be getting? In other words, is it possible that MT's higher salary cap number vs the draft pick(s) would hinder trades to possible trade partners. (I assume the Chargers would be okay salary cap wise. They'd have more drafted rookies to pay, but would also subtract the $2.35 M for MT's salary in 2007).

Is the time between draft picks in the first round enough time for MT's agent and a possible draft partner to work out a long term deal (or, at least the outlines of one)? No prospective trade partner would want to give a high pick if they're not sure that they'll have MT beyond 2007.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:13 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch1
I have some questions about trading MT on draft day:

Does MT have to sign his tender offer from the Chargers before draft day, before the Chargers have the right to trade him? (I assume so. If he waits, as Gates did in 2005, then we can't trade him?)

What are people's opinions as to what kind of long term contract MT can get from our trade partner? How does it compare (salary cap wise, in 2007 and beyond) to the draft picks our trade partner won't be getting? In other words, is it possible that MT's higher salary cap number vs the draft pick(s) would hinder trades to possible trade partners. (I assume the Chargers would be okay salary cap wise. They'd have more drafted rookies to pay, but would also subtract the $2.35 M for MT's salary in 2007).

Is the time between draft picks in the first round enough time for MT's agent and a possible draft partner to work out a long term deal (or, at least the outlines of one)? No prospective trade partner would want to give a high pick if they're not sure that they'll have MT beyond 2007.
You're right: nobody is going to trade for Turner unless they have a long-term deal worked out with him before the trade. So to answer your question: yes, he needs to sign his tender deal before being traded, but if he's still unsigned on draft day, the signed tender would be ceremonial only as he would immediately sign his new deal immediately before the Chargers trade him. He'd then sign the long-term deal immediately after the trade is "finalized".

There wouldn't be time between the picks to negotiate. A team would have had to have been working with Turner's agent for some time before draft day to at least have some parameters set up. If the team decides to go through with the trade, it would be a matter of dotting the i's and crossing the t's on the deal.

Hope this helps.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:25 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcRugby
You're right: nobody is going to trade for Turner unless they have a long-term deal worked out with him before the trade. So to answer your question: yes, he needs to sign his tender deal before being traded, but if he's still unsigned on draft day, the signed tender would be ceremonial only as he would immediately sign his new deal immediately before the Chargers trade him. He'd then sign the long-term deal immediately after the trade is "finalized".

There wouldn't be time between the picks to negotiate. A team would have had to have been working with Turner's agent for some time before draft day to at least have some parameters set up. If the team decides to go through with the trade, it would be a matter of dotting the i's and crossing the t's on the deal.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Joe, that helps.

So, are there any rumors of MT's agent talking with various possible trade partners, just in case the Chargers make a draft day trade?
Old 03-16-2007, 04:20 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by matilack
Trading Turner for a 2nd rounder would be the biggest screw job any team has ever pulled on us.
I think the reason were not trading him is because AJ is waiting for another team to take the bait and sign him, therefore compensating us with a 1st and a 3rd.
I think we'll trade him sooner or later.
obviously you don't remember the Ryan Leaf deal. But in reality there is no way you could even call it a screw deal. When was the last time a RB garnered a second round pick in a trade? How bout a first rounder?
Old 03-16-2007, 04:37 PM
puertoricanrobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyi
girls go after the big athletes...its plain and simple

they don't go after marques harris, they try to get their peyton manning, michael vick.

guys who with one lawsuit you are set for your life, and your kids life.

that girl if it was smush parker or a lesser known laker would of took her money and be happy. then a guy like kobe who has consensual sex and could of gave her money or whatever...girl could just rub her face make it red and yell rape, then its all over the news just like that.

kobe a big superstar athlete...whose worth millions on top of millions...of course it would be a females target.

girls try to get pregnant by BIG athletes and music stars for MONEY...trust me they dont' go after lil athletes or celebrities..it makes no sense to them.

you go after a guy like marques harris at most you'll get a few thousand dollars maybe like 50,000 dollars which greedy people like a gold digger aint happy with. you go after a guy like kobe bryant, peyton manning, mike vick...you get like at worst 250,000 dollars or close to if you go threw all the legal preceedings.

which you think a girl chooses...some 50 g's or 250 gs.
It sounds to me like this poster has played this game before, are you a male or female? Or are you the she-male that Eddie Murphy accidentally picked up in the late 80's or early 90's?
Old 03-16-2007, 04:44 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by matilack
Trading Turner for a 2nd rounder would be the biggest screw job any team has ever pulled on us.
I think the reason were not trading him is because AJ is waiting for another team to take the bait and sign him, therefore compensating us with a 1st and a 3rd.
I think we'll trade him sooner or later.
If someone offers a first, they'll trade him immediately.

If nobody offers a first, I believe they'll keep him in 2007 and almost assuredly get a 3rd round compensatory pick in 2009 rather than trade him for a 2nd round pick. We'll find out soon enough.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:48 PM
5 Digits

Default i'd be happy with..

Either a 1st round swap plus incedental late round picks...

or a low 2nd round pick.

i think we all have a highly inflated value of turner. AJ placed his 1st & 3rd value only to lock him as a charger, and allow AJ to make a deal for his true worth. <- This value is only ceremonial so that remain in control of his future as a charger.

There are 3 RB's that will be selected in the draft before our selection. Including the 1-2 in the 2nd round creates a scenario where almost every team has the ability to draft a RB prospect with the same potential as Turner. Our belief in Turner is heavily biased based on his situational performances in the last year. He wont get the same situations as a #1 on another team.

AJ has created another win/win situation. Either we get a fairly good draft/player trade for Turner, or we keep him for the next year (resulting in a compensatory draft selection.)

IMHO, Turner is still untested, and lets take what we can when we can.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:06 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABoltsFan
Either a 1st round swap plus incedental late round picks...

or a low 2nd round pick.

i think we all have a highly inflated value of turner. AJ placed his 1st & 3rd value only to lock him as a charger, and allow AJ to make a deal for his true worth. <- This value is only ceremonial so that remain in control of his future as a charger.

There are 3 RB's that will be selected in the draft before our selection. Including the 1-2 in the 2nd round creates a scenario where almost every team has the ability to draft a RB prospect with the same potential as Turner. Our belief in Turner is heavily biased based on his situational performances in the last year. He wont get the same situations as a #1 on another team.

AJ has created another win/win situation. Either we get a fairly good draft/player trade for Turner, or we keep him for the next year (resulting in a compensatory draft selection.)

IMHO, Turner is still untested, and lets take what we can when we can.
It's not our highly inflated value. It's AJ's value on him and it's obvious he's not going to let him go for less than a 1st.

Having Turner for 2006 and getting a 3rd round compensatory pick in 2009 has more value to AJ than not having Turner in 2007 and getting a 2nd round pick. Otherwise, AJ would not have put the high tender on him.

Maybe AJ is totally offbase in his evaluation of Turner. I don't believe he is.

Turner is a stud. He's not untested. The rest of the NFL knows all about him. The only thing that stopped teams like the Broncs from swooping in and taking him was the high tender.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:19 PM
Formerly GoTomlinson

Lets not forget Turner could be traded well into the season before the trade deadline. It could be one major injury or one off the field incident away before a team breaks the bank for MT.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:24 PM
5 Digits

Default clarification.

i am saying that AJ placed a super high tender on him so that he couldnt be scooped from us.

i'm saying he set the bar so high that no one would take him, intentionally.
(and as a result, this value may not reflect his true worth.)
- its like taking a restored car worth $100,000 and putting a price tag on it for $150,000. This way you can entertain offers, but unless someone ponies up the asking price, you dont have to sell. Letting an open market set Turner's value would greatly reduce the amount we could get.

in doing so, it gives AJ complete control over the Turner situation. No matter how it plays out, we win!

Another Awesome move by AJ.
Closed Thread