Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2007, 06:40 PM
5 Digits

Default Expectations as Fans / Customers in 2007

I started the same thread last year, and it was very interesting to see how clear everyone's expectation levels were. We were a team reeling from a tough schedule and a playoff snub. We saw the QB drama that unfolded and didnt believe we were the best team in the league. Everyone seemed to expect the same and amazingly, we managed to meet or exceed most everyone's wishes... Its very interesting to note, that as a group we seem to set our bar at a realistic level.

Last year the consensus demanded -
Playoff victory <- skipping the 1st round has to count for something.
10 Wins <- DONE!
PR to step up <- DONE! We all thought he'd have more growing pains.
LT to have 2000+ yards <- Done
VJ to step forward <- Slow started but DONE!
Cro to become a starter. <- we all seem to expect superman status of our rookies.

This year i EXPECT only 3 simple things -
AFC Championship Game (1 playoff tier farther than last year)
NO LOSSES @ Home
12-4 record (Thats only 4 road game victories and a 50/50 record)

I'm not going to worry about LT's rushes, or anyone's TD catches, i EXPECT 3 simple results. If we accomplish all of these 3 things, i know that a Superbowl isnt a far fetched thought.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:46 PM
5 Digits

Default From Last Year

Last year this post seemed a little bit lofty, but as we look back it was fairly accurate. (with exception to the projected interceptions...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofan
I expect....
a sweep of the Faiders, Chiefs, and Broncos
PR to have over 3,000 passing yards
PR to have 25 TD passes and maybe 1 or 2 sneaks
LT to have 2,000 rushing yards
LT to have 2,500 total yards
Gates to be as good as he all ways is
Jackson to become an elite reciever
McNeil to create massive holes for LT
Phillips to have 10 sacks
Merrimen to have 15+ sacks
Merrimen to make the probowl again
Jammer to have 5 INT's
Cro to have 5 INT's
Jue to have 3 INT's
McCree to have 4 INT's
7 probowlers
to be the AFC Champs
its funny to think back 1 year ago and see how much we've grown as a team.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:06 PM
Ch to the argers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaCharger View Post
I expect an AFC West championship and to go deep in the playoffs. Here's what I think needs to happen:

Rivers doesn't have to be spectacular just yet. He won't be with our current line. But as long as he completes 3rd and manageable and not turn the ball over, I'll be stoked.

The secondary must improve as advertised, meaning forced punts after passing downs for conversions and no more dropped INTs.

LT, AG, the kicking game, and the front seven standing pat.

If our line improves, Rivers will be a Pro-Bowl alternate and LT will finally lead the league in rushing - possibly around 1700-1800 yards.

He was spot on in his expectations.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:15 PM
LeesZees17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABoltsFan View Post
I started the same thread last year, and it was very interesting to see how clear everyone's expectation levels were. We were a team reeling from a tough schedule and a playoff snub. We saw the QB drama that unfolded and didnt believe we were the best team in the league. Everyone seemed to expect the same and amazingly, we managed to meet or exceed most everyone's wishes... Its very interesting to note, that as a group we seem to set our bar at a realistic level.

Last year the consensus demanded -
Playoff victory <- skipping the 1st round has to count for something.
10 Wins <- DONE!
PR to step up <- DONE! We all thought he'd have more growing pains.
LT to have 2000+ yards <- Done
VJ to step forward <- Slow started but DONE!
Cro to become a starter. <- we all seem to expect superman status of our rookies.

This year i EXPECT only 3 simple things -
AFC Championship Game (1 playoff tier farther than last year)
NO LOSSES @ Home
12-4 record (Thats only 4 road game victories and a 50/50 record)

I'm not going to worry about LT's rushes, or anyone's TD catches, i EXPECT 3 simple results. If we accomplish all of these 3 things, i know that a Superbowl isnt a far fetched thought.
Just win a damn Playoff game!
Rivers Rules!
Old 07-16-2007, 08:52 PM
knowsthebolt

I expect a superbowl. I don't care about stats or their record, only winning it all. We don't want to look back 10 years from now and wonder how in the world this group never won a superbowl in the 3-5 years they were together.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:00 PM
4thebolt

To continue a previous thought, I have the same feeling about our WINDOW with the current team. The Fouts era was a step away but we still live with it today. We need this team to grab the ring. The talent and depth are here. The experiance together is here. Oue fan base is here. Let's expect our Super Bowl victory and write about that win from then on.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:21 PM
Stuck on Chillin

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowsthebolt View Post
I expect a superbowl. I don't care about stats or their record, only winning it all. We don't want to look back 10 years from now and wonder how in the world this group never won a superbowl in the 3-5 years they were together.
even though the sb is the highest you can shoot for it is time we shoot for it, honestly.

We have gone through the progression of losing and learning what it takes to win in the process. The core of the team is still together, and signed for few more years. We are no worse for having norv vs. marty.

Any objective football fan will tell you in 2004 we ended up where we should have even though the jets game was very winnable. the organization had to learn how to win.

2005 I blame AJ, Gates, and Marty for missing the playoffs, with a tacked roster of 6 probowlers. that year should have been a learning how to win in the playoffs year and instead it was a lost year. The playoff loss last year replaced it the chain of learning, what a shame.

2007 is the 3rd year in the evolution of this team / organization, and if you dont expect win deep into the playoffs this year then when would you?
Old 07-16-2007, 10:04 PM
Veteran

Imma throw little brees's complete ineffectiveness for the 2005 season.

I dont wann hear about garbage stats, and beeing a pro bowl alternate.
He could not lead this team when it needed to be led by its QB.
Dallas, both denver games, KC at home (Team beeing booed off the field in the first half), Philly, Washington especially, Miami. Should I list more?

Garbage.

But im happy that he preformed that way, for if he didnt, we wouldnt have a true leader QB.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:17 PM

I expect us to do well. I would love us to make a solid run to the Super Bowl and win it.

I expect Rivers to continue to grow and show that he can win more games with his arm as well as just manage the games when needed.

I expect us to have the top rushing team in the NFL. LT is going to do what LT does. But I see M. Turner getting a lot of touches and used to work for his next contract.

I expect the line to have 3 ProBowlers. I would think that the competition with the backups will elevate the whole line to play better. I expect "eye chart" to be the starting RT by the end of the season, if not the first week.

I expect our WR to finally get some recognition from the media, but that will pail in comparison to the TE play.

I will tell you what I expect from the defense later...

One Love, One Team, One Goal, SUPERBOWL!!!
Old 07-17-2007, 01:08 AM
LA Chargers '07

1) SuperBowl APPEARANCE at least: I belive we are easily a contender with our talent level and once again one year smarter than last. Anything less than a trip to Glendale i'll consider failure. Of course id love to see them win it but a trip back to the SB is well overdue for our team. And yes i think if they reach it that they could definately win it.

2) 11-5 record. I dont expect us to duplicate last season especially if we go all the way like we should i could care less about a regular season record. But i also feel we shouldnt lose more than 5 games this year. We should still continue to be comeback artists when needed and i'm leaving room for a couple of games u lose that u werent supposed to. (happens at least once a year to almost every team in my opinion) If we go 10-6 or worse then i feel thats a bit of an underacheivement for a team this talented.

These are the only two things i expect. How we get there, wether it be LT running us into the promised land, Rivers winning/comeback ability, or Norv's offensive playcalling putting us over the top it really doesnt matter as long as we just get there.