Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2008, 05:04 PM
Rookie

Default 08-09 Starting Lineup Predictions

Unfortunatly, the season is now over. I was curious to how you all see our starting lineup going into next season. Here's what I think..

QB: P.Rivers
RB: L.Tomlinson
FB: A.Pinnock (age catching up to Neal? Pinnock has 10 years on him and can do a little more than just block IMO. They are both fit options though.)

WR: C.Chambers
WR: V.Jackson (Wow, we can finally list our WR core as a strength. Chambers proves to be a dangerous vet, and Jackson is developing into a star. One of the top 5 WR tandems in the NFL? Oh, and did I mension we still have young Buster with great potential and an always reliable EP.)
TE: A.Gates

LT: M.McNeill
LG: K.Dielman
C: N.Hardwick
RG: M.Goff (S.Olivea will give good competition)
RT: J.Clary (Unsure if he will really remain a starter throughout the offseason. AJ could pickup solid competition at a good price, maybe Sean Locklear? I don't consider OT a real need, so doubt we will see any big names. You don't want to change too much anyway, they are learning to play with each other well.)
_______

DE: I.Olshansky
DT: J.Williams (Jamal will def. remain the starter, but I do hope to see us take a shot at his eventual replacement in the first round of this draft. The position is so key to our defense's success, and I dont see Bingham or McKinney as anything more than solid backups. Should be addressed soon to provide time for grooming.)
DE: L.Castillo

OLB: S.Merriman
ILB: UFA, or a young Siler, Waters, Tucker, Dobbins steps up (Even though I see Wilhelm as a likely candidate, I personally don't want to see him here over the next 5 or so years. I feel more can be gained in speed and coverage. We have great depth at LB and there are many opportunities for our young players to step up in the offseason, and a new guy could always come in. It would take a big paycheck, but I love Karlos Dansby and think he is a very underrated player and adds a lot to a defense. Boss Bailey-great in coverage- and Lance Briggs are great options too, but also require hefty contracts.)
ILB: S.Cooper
OLB: S.Phillips

CB: Q.Jammer
SS: E.Weddle (Even though we missed out on the "Big 3" -Landry, Nelson, Griffin- I wouldn't have wanted our draft to go any other way. I'm excited about what Weddle will bring to the future of the Chargers secondary.)
FS: C.Hart, Draftee, UFA (Hart is an athletic player and surely capable of holding down this position, although surely a lot could be gained. We could grab a surpirse mid-round safety that steps right in. UFA's are always possible, Mike Doss and Gibril Wilson could be snatched at a good price. I don't consider S.Gregory as starting material, at least for now.)
CB: A.Cromartie (Deion Sanders Jr..nuf said)

Let me know what you all think. I'm sure the roster will end up real similar to this season, and the possible UFA pickups are unrealistic (we all know AJ), but I was trying to keep it fun.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:06 PM
Boo first. Think later.

Our Roster will have limited changes. Hopefully we continue to accrue low cost backups and avoid injury next season.

"I like to turn the offense into a defense. I want them to worry about what we're gonna do. I want them to try to defend us." -Junior Seau

"Where as I was not incorrect, they did not mean what I thought they had meant." -Charlie Sanders

Old 01-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Playmaker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7o3 Bolt Fan View Post
Unfortunatly, the season is now over. I was curious to how you all see our starting lineup going into next season. Here's what I think..

QB: P.Rivers
RB: L.Tomlinson
FB: A.Pinnock (age catching up to Neal? Pinnock has 10 years on him and can do a little more than just block IMO. They are both fit options though.)

WR: C.Chambers
WR: V.Jackson (Wow, we can finally list our WR core as a strength. Chambers proves to be a dangerous vet, and Jackson is developing into a star. One of the top 5 WR tandems in the NFL? Oh, and did I mension we still have young Buster with great potential and an always reliable EP.)
TE: A.Gates

LT: M.McNeill
LG: K.Dielman
C: N.Hardwick
RG: M.Goff (S.Olivea will give good competition)
RT: J.Clary (Unsure if he will really remain a starter throughout the offseason. AJ could pickup solid competition at a good price, maybe Sean Locklear? I don't consider OT a real need, so doubt we will see any big names. You don't want to change too much anyway, they are learning to play with each other well.)
_______

DE: I.Olshansky
DT: J.Williams (Jamal will def. remain the starter, but I do hope to see us take a shot at his eventual replacement in the first round of this draft. The position is so key to our defense's success, and I dont see Bingham or McKinney as anything more than solid backups. Should be addressed soon to provide time for grooming.)
DE: L.Castillo

OLB: S.Merriman
ILB: UFA, or a young Siler, Waters, Tucker, Dobbins steps up (Even though I see Wilhelm as a likely candidate, I personally don't want to see him here over the next 5 or so years. I feel more can be gained in speed and coverage. We have great depth at LB and there are many opportunities for our young players to step up in the offseason, and a new guy could always come in. It would take a big paycheck, but I love Karlos Dansby and think he is a very underrated player and adds a lot to a defense. Boss Bailey-great in coverage- and Lance Briggs are great options too, but also require hefty contracts.)
ILB: S.Cooper
OLB: S.Phillips

CB: Q.Jammer
SS: E.Weddle (Even though we missed out on the "Big 3" -Landry, Nelson, Griffin- I wouldn't have wanted our draft to go any other way. I'm excited about what Weddle will bring to the future of the Chargers secondary.)
FS: C.Hart, Draftee, UFA (Hart is an athletic player and surely capable of holding down this position, although surely a lot could be gained. We could grab a surpirse mid-round safety that steps right in. UFA's are always possible, Mike Doss and Gibril Wilson could be snatched at a good price. I don't consider S.Gregory as starting material, at least for now.)
CB: A.Cromartie (Deion Sanders Jr..nuf said)

Let me know what you all think. I'm sure the roster will end up real similar to this season, and the possible UFA pickups are unrealistic (we all know AJ), but I was trying to keep it fun.
I still think Wilhelm will start. Also, maybe the Bolts can use Parker as a slot reciever.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Hall of Famer

Same starters. I fully expect whoever Jamal's backup to get a good 40% playing time. Safeties will be the same, unless we get real lucky and somehow land a stud safety (Gibril Wilson, Kenny Phillips). y dark horse for new starter next year is Anthony Waters over Wilhelm. EP, IMO, will likely be gone.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:09 PM
I am a meat popsicle

Don't forget Parker will be back as well!
Nice WR group.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:14 PM

Yeah someone in our WR group is going to be cut. Right now, I see that as Parker or Osgood. Parker is solid, but he is too small, I'd go with Davis more than him. And Osgood is what, a ProBowler. Not a bad problem to have. And when was the last time you said that about Charger WR's.

I'm excited about Waters next year. This was a project 1st rounder before he got hurt. We shall see.

One Love, One Team, One Goal, SUPERBOWL!!!
Old 01-20-2008, 05:16 PM
LB? No. Force of Nature

I agree about Pinnock. Lo is a stalwart and I wouldn't take back any of his great blocks, but he just CAN'T catch! (Not saying the couple times that's happened this year would have turned a game around, but it's nice to have that option --just look at Heath Evans today, no one expects the FB.....)

I too would put us in the top 5 of receiving cores (IND, NE, CIN, ARI being better, some others being debatable)

Floyd is getting cut people. EP is still on contract and a good player, and KO is too good on ST. Floyd hasn't done jack this year.

I don't think ILB will shift around that much. Siler & Waters may see more rotation to get experience, but Matt & Coop will start the whole year

here's fingers crossed for Gibril Wilson, he'd be a steal.

Member of the Jammer Anti-Defamation League 23
Member of the OFFICIAL Mike Scifres Fan Club (thread)
Old 01-20-2008, 05:21 PM
kiva76

As long as DFLO is no longer a Charger I'm fine with the team we have now. I'm so tired of looking up after a team scores and seeing DFLO trailing the WR by 3 yards. Good riddance.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:22 PM
RIP #55

I think Wilhelm will have the starting ILB for the first half of the season before Waters takes it over

Old 01-20-2008, 05:22 PM
Hall of Famer

Like you said, much won't change, I say:

Offense
QB- Rivers
RB- LT
FB- Neal
WR- Chambers
WR- Jackson
TE- Gates
LT- McNeil
LG- Dielman
C- Hardwick
RG- Goff
RT- Clary

I don't see us changing the O at all, Parker will be back and will probably just be slot. But other then that, theres really no reason to get any offensive players via Draft of FA. The only thing might be getting a better RT, but Clary seems good enough.

Defense
RE- Castillo
NT- Williams
LE- Igor
OLB- Merriman
ILB- Cooper
ILB- Wilhem/Waters/FA/Draftee
OLB- Phillips
CB- Cromartie
CB- Jammer
FS- FA/Draftee/Hart if we can't find anyone good
SS- Weddle