Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Wendy's Avatar
Wendy Wendy is offline
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: northern virginia
Posts: 763
Default Chargers Sign RB Michael Bennett & Release Derek Smith

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori...nett/?chargers

The Chargers have claimed running back Michael Bennett off waivers and released lineback Derek Smith.
The move is interesting since the Chargers have no immediate need for a running back. By taking Bennett, however, the Denver Broncos could not claim him.
Bennett, 30, was released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Tuesday to make room for the return of Cadillac Williams. Bennett joined the Bucs last October and carried just seven times in five games.
He has 3,627 yards on 817 carries in eight NFL seasons. He was the Minnesota Vikings' first-round pick in 2001.
Smith was signed by the Chargers in February and started the first four games in place of the suspended Stephen Cooper. He had been inactive the past three games.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-12-2008, 02:38 PM
FCBolt's Avatar
FCBolt FCBolt is offline
Time for some BEEF!
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Donkeyville
Posts: 29,774
Default

Yep I'm really surprised they picked up a RB instead of a DB.
__________________

_________________________________________
Quote:
Antonio Gates: "You can only do so much physically. You can only run so fast and jump so high. Mentally there is an unlimited capacity on how you can grow."


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Lucid Lucid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Land of Winning
Posts: 9,615
Default

Or an ILB would have been nice
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-12-2008, 02:40 PM
ChargerCohen's Avatar
ChargerCohen ChargerCohen is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: glendale
Posts: 1,736
Default

The Jacob Hester pick looks worse and worse as the season has gone on. What if we had picked up somebody to boost the trenches in the 3rd round instead of losing our 2nd next year for a slow, nonexistent scrub?
__________________
BHC in 08.

Taylor Mays Countdown back on, 3 years running! 1 year to go. O-line please.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-12-2008, 02:42 PM
GameTime's Avatar
GameTime GameTime is offline
Picture Perfect
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Lab
Posts: 5,058
Default

Well they did something.....It does keep the Broncos from getting him...if they wanted him that is...

Hester I hope becomes a player sometime.
__________________
GameTime Abides......
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-12-2008, 02:43 PM
FCBolt's Avatar
FCBolt FCBolt is offline
Time for some BEEF!
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Donkeyville
Posts: 29,774
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOWURBOLTZ View Post
I am not surprised in the least....

A.J. Smith is a dumb a$$ !!
This decision wasn't made independent of Norv. And the secondary corps is growing thin. Course they have 2 DBs on the PS and they might be getting ready to cut another player to bring one of those guys up.
__________________

_________________________________________
Quote:
Antonio Gates: "You can only do so much physically. You can only run so fast and jump so high. Mentally there is an unlimited capacity on how you can grow."


Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-12-2008, 02:43 PM
LKincheloe's Avatar
LKincheloe LKincheloe is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Morro Bay
Posts: 3,188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy View Post
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori...nett/?chargers

The Chargers have claimed running back Michael Bennett off waivers and released lineback Derek Smith.
The move is interesting since the Chargers have no immediate need for a running back. By taking Bennett, however, the Denver Broncos could not claim him.
Bennett, 30, was released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Tuesday to make room for the return of Cadillac Williams. Bennett joined the Bucs last October and carried just seven times in five games.
He has 3,627 yards on 817 carries in eight NFL seasons. He was the Minnesota Vikings' first-round pick in 2001.
Smith was signed by the Chargers in February and started the first four games in place of the suspended Stephen Cooper. He had been inactive the past three games.
Works for me, especially since Smith was just taking up space anyway.

Last edited by LKincheloe; 11-12-2008 at 02:46 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-12-2008, 02:44 PM
SuperBowlBolts's Avatar
SuperBowlBolts SuperBowlBolts is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 12,538
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCohen View Post
The Jacob Hester pick looks worse and worse as the season has gone on. What if we had picked up somebody to boost the trenches in the 3rd round instead of losing our 2nd next year for a slow, nonexistent scrub?
The guy is a rookie give him a break. Everyone seems to expect a guy to hit the ground running. Sure, there are a lot of guys who do that but there are many more guys in the NFL who take at least a year or two to develop.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-12-2008, 02:45 PM
rcali bolt hed's Avatar
rcali bolt hed rcali bolt hed is offline
Hapapower Hawaiian/Dutch
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: right here
Posts: 5,578
Default

Bennetts best season 2002 - 5yrd average 1297 yrds for 255 carrys 5 tds 3 fumbles longest run 85 yrds .

at 5,9 207 sounds like insurance for LT and DS god forbid somthing should happen.

is hester going to play more of a fb role or is just work in progress?
__________________
link:The Hawaiian Good Luck Sign
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-12-2008, 02:46 PM
FCBolt's Avatar
FCBolt FCBolt is offline
Time for some BEEF!
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Donkeyville
Posts: 29,774
Default

Smith denies move was to deny Broncos
By Kevin Acee


Posted: November 12, 2008

The Denver Broncos, down to their fifth running back and having just signed previously unemployed Tatum Bell, put in a claim on running back Michael Bennett. They were denied when a team with a record one game worse than them also claimed Bennett.

That teams just happened to be the Chargers, who found out this afternoon they had been awarded Bennett.
Coincidence? I thought not.
However, in response to a question of whether the Chargers claimed Bennett to keep him from Denver, Smith said, "Your answer is no. Any move we make regarding players is to upgrade and strengthen our team."
Waiver claims after the trade deadline are awarded based on a team's record, which is why the 4-5 Chargers got Bennett over the 5-4 Broncos. Those are the only two teams that claimed Bennett.
__________________

_________________________________________
Quote:
Antonio Gates: "You can only do so much physically. You can only run so fast and jump so high. Mentally there is an unlimited capacity on how you can grow."


Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:12 AM.


© 2012 San Diego Chargers. All Rights Reserved.