Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2008, 12:43 AM
Huhuh..We're gonna score

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake1188 View Post
Well the we dont get to see what AJ sees.

Maybe Oliver is doing very good in practice, but the Coaches want to play him sparingly now until AJ lets hart go in the Off season
Very True, but at the same time had Norv and AJ seen better play from Oliver in practice, would he not be starting over Hart now?

Dean's Office Dec 31st 2012

Old 12-30-2008, 01:16 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMadigan View Post
Very True, but at the same time had Norv and AJ seen better play from Oliver in practice, would he not be starting over Hart now?
I don't know, they tend to like to keep with their starters even if they aren't performing well or are injured.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:41 AM
Picture Perfect

It's how Rivera feels about him, that will determine where and when he plays.....That is, if Rivera is still the D coordinator next season.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:49 AM
Veteran

He should at least start the game over Hart and like Rivera choose whether or not to keep him there
Old 12-30-2008, 10:15 AM
JDog3

I am just glad that Weedle was put back as a nickelback for part of the game where he belongs. I would take Hart and Oliver playing deep halves over Weedle back there any day. Weedle got juked out of his mind on the Tatum Bell touchdown run. He sucks.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:16 AM
JDog3

Hart is better than Weedle, the worst safety in the league.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:49 AM
<<I miss Kamri

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDog3 View Post
Hart is better than Weedle, the worst safety in the league.
uhhh, ok, if you say so. If Weddle doesnt slip he mightve prevented the TD, he might not have, but that instance was the only time ive seen Weddle miss a tackle 1 on 1 all year long.

Anyway, Oliver did something with that INT on sunday i have not seen any charger DB do all year except once but didnt result in an int: he jumped a route. The other time was Jammer like a month ago.

did Cuddles do a bad job of looking off Oliver or did Oliver did a better job at reading Cuddles for that INT? Whatever it was Oliver reacted and got in front of Marshall. Instinct, athleticism or just lucky? One thing he has shown in his limited play is he can tackle.

Still one play shouldnt make him the automatic starter just yet, he did play a nice game at Pittsbugh but we'll get a better idea of what his future is next saturday (and hopefully beyond) and even further in the offseason depending on what moves AJ makes.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:27 AM
JDog3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ-Charger-Fan View Post
uhhh, ok, if you say so. If Weddle doesnt slip he mightve prevented the TD, he might not have, but that instance was the only time ive seen Weddle miss a tackle 1 on 1 all year long.

Anyway, Oliver did something with that INT on sunday i have not seen any charger DB do all year except once but didnt result in an int: he jumped a route. The other time was Jammer like a month ago.

did Cuddles do a bad job of looking off Oliver or did Oliver did a better job at reading Cuddles for that INT? Whatever it was Oliver reacted and got in front of Marshall. Instinct, athleticism or just lucky? One thing he has shown in his limited play is he can tackle.

Still one play shouldnt make him the automatic starter just yet, he did play a nice game at Pittsbugh but we'll get a better idea of what his future is next saturday (and hopefully beyond) and even further in the offseason depending on what moves AJ makes.
You must have forgotten about Weedle's "forgettable" plays he has been making all year long:

Week 1: Outjumped by Daunte Rosario for the game winning TD. Weedle looked like a kid trying to outjump his dad on this play.

At Denver: game winning two point conversion to Eddy Royal blows right by Weedle and he is once again left looking like a JV player trying to play varsity

Kansas City: take your pick.....getting punked by Dwayne Bowe when Weedle had a full head of steam made him look like a total scrub OR trying to climb on Tony Gonzalez's back, getting called for PI and STILL giving up a touchdown

Denver at home: letting Tatum Bell (who was selling cell phones two weeks earlier) get into the open field and make a pathetic cut that sent Weedle to the ground with broken ankles and his jock strap on the floor.

THE GUY SUCKS!!!!!!
Old 12-30-2008, 11:28 AM
Hall of Famer

Just because i started the thread questioning if Oliver will be a starting safety next year doesn't mean I think that Hart will be let go. He's on a five year contract, and at the very least would provide veteran leadership and a competent back up to whoever else starts at safety over the next fours years of his contract with the Bolts. Harts a good character guy too, and his playing hurt speaks alot about his heart, and his ability to play. Otherwise, don't you think Rivera would have sat him down by now?

I've just been impressed with Oliver, the little I've seen of him. Since he was previously a corner his coverage skills are probably better than Harts or Weddles. And the young man can hit. Has good instincts and some speed to the ball. I'm kind of hoping to see him against Indy, covering the damn fool recievers that come over the middle once they get by the linebackers. His cornerback skills might help to shut down the middle of the field for the Colts.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:34 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ-Charger-Fan View Post

Oliver said that he saw Marshall run the same crossing pattern over and over again on that drive. He new it was coming, and broke right at the same time that Marshall broke. Great play, and great instincts. I'm curious to see how he is in run support, but he looked like a real safety in coverage on that play which is a change from what we've seen this year.