Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charger Dodger View Post
I been hearing alot about Jarron, and I think we should pick him up at the 3rd. To me, I think he will do way better than BJ Raji. Jarron is big, strong and very very quick. This is someone we need in the 3-4.
what ar you smoking? there hasnt been a player like Raji since Ngata.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:27 AM
Chosen One

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDFaiderHater View Post
what ar you smoking? there hasnt been a player like Raji since Ngata.
I agree with that Raji is and will be a great player in whatever system he is in but if he goes 3-4 then he could be better than Jwall
Old 02-24-2009, 09:35 AM
Chosen One

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCBolt View Post
There will be some decent OLmen in the 3rd.
Urbik, Greene, Vasquez, Shipley, Topou

How about an ILB who can cover?
Nic Harris

Or a safety?
Vaughn or even Hamlin

Hell, I'd rather take likely 4th rounder Dorell Scott in the 3rd than Gilbert.

All 9 of those guys have less bust potential than Gilbert. Let some other poor suckers get sucked in by his athleticism.
I think Vaughn could slip because of his combine and go late 4 and Hamlin has not impressed me one bit and if I were to get an ILB who can cover it would be Mavia simply because he is a LB and Harris cant decide and I dont think is fast enough to play S and most of your O-Linemen IMO are good picks but I like later round guys like Augustus Parrish, Kent State, OT and Ray Feinga, BYU, OG that have Big upside
Old 02-24-2009, 09:40 AM
Time for some BEEF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinl15 View Post
I think Vaughn could slip because of his combine and go late 4 and Hamlin has not impressed me one bit and if I were to get an ILB who can cover it would be Mavia simply because he is a LB and Harris cant decide and I dont think is fast enough to play S and most of your O-Linemen IMO are good picks but I like later round guys like Augustus Parrish, Kent State, OT and Ray Feinga, BYU, OG that have Big upside
So you're going to take a guy with high bust potential in the 3rd and fill in OL with lower round guys that have higher bust potential than the 3rd round OL available?

Old 02-24-2009, 10:00 AM
Hall of Famer

Moot point. Gilbert won't last until the 3rd and we don't have a 2nd. Raji will be long gone by the time we pick. If we want to go D line with the 1st Brace, Jerry, Jackson are all possibilities.

We may be able to trade down and still pick up one of these guys. There are a lot of DEs but most fit the 4/3 system. That's one reason Gilbert will go in the 2nd.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:04 AM
Chosen One

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCBolt View Post
So you're going to take a guy with high bust potential in the 3rd and fill in OL with lower round guys that have higher bust potential than the 3rd round OL available?
Yea sure if you want to put it like that but I would say all of my guys have higher NFL potential than just being a solid starter, and its not like I would pick them up with 6th or 7th round pick it would be the next two picks for us for Augustus Parrish and Ray Feinga
Old 02-24-2009, 10:13 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1_sj View Post
Moot point. Gilbert won't last until the 3rd and we don't have a 2nd. Raji will be long gone by the time we pick. If we want to go D line with the 1st Brace, Jerry, Jackson are all possibilities.

We may be able to trade down and still pick up one of these guys. There are a lot of DEs but most fit the 4/3 system. That's one reason Gilbert will go in the 2nd.
Yep. People forget that initial draft projections pre-combine mean nothing. Actual draft projections mean a little more but are still flawed.

Guys like Gilbert go higher than anyone anticipates because some GMs put a lot of stock in Combine standouts. That makes GMs nervous about waiting to draft a player when they're projected to go for fear of missing out on that player. As a result, that played tends to be taken a little earlier than projected. If they have a great combine, they could even go a full round earlier than projected.

By the same token, a player could drop just as easily and drastically. It's clear that there are only a few solid 3-4 DTs and DEs in this draft. With new teams moving to the 3-4 Defense, we'll see some selections that will make us scratch our heads and it will throw off the draft projections.

I'm not saying we should draft Gilbert but I have a feeling he'll raise his draft stock to the early to mid 2nd round by the time April comes around - the only way to get him would be a trade.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andocug View Post
Yep. People forget that initial draft projections pre-combine mean nothing. Actual draft projections mean a little more but are still flawed.

Guys like Gilbert go higher than anyone anticipates because some GMs put a lot of stock in Combine standouts. That makes GMs nervous about waiting to draft a player when they're projected to go for fear of missing out on that player. As a result, that played tends to be taken a little earlier than projected. If they have a great combine, they could even go a full round earlier than projected.

By the same token, a player could drop just as easily and drastically. It's clear that there are only a few solid 3-4 DTs and DEs in this draft. With new teams moving to the 3-4 Defense, we'll see some selections that will make us scratch our heads and it will throw off the draft projections.

I'm not saying we should draft Gilbert but I have a feeling he'll raise his draft stock to the early to mid 2nd round by the time April comes around - the only way to get him would be a trade.
I think he is a 2nd rounder. Its a shame AJ did that for Hester lol
Old 02-24-2009, 01:16 PM
Time for some BEEF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1_sj View Post

Yeah sure, but if we accept that, then we'll have to stop arguing about it.

What fun is that?

In fact though, one could then say 'Moot thread' (as it pertains to the Chargers anyway)..

Old 02-24-2009, 01:18 PM
Time for some BEEF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andocug View Post

I can see the 'Moala or Gilbert?' and 'Hood or Gilbert?' threads aren't far off...