Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2012, 02:48 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife9878 View Post
Vikings Stadium news (click for full artile)

This was something I have pitched to people before... or at least parts of it.

I am not sure I like taxing the players... but I completly understand adding a tax to tickets, concessions, etc... Tax the people useing it. It makes sense allthough it is understandable the NFL won't like it... and with the LA leverage they are pushing it might be hard to get anything done that does not come out of the general fund for SD which is allready a massive mess.
As much as I hate taxation, at least these are tax items that are targeted towards the end user, rather than punishing the non-sports fan with a stadium and a team they have no interest in. Taxing the players and owners seems appropriate, as they are the biggest winners in the stadium deal.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:26 AM
I hate my Username

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobolts_charger View Post
LA wants 2 teams. It would be great if the 2 teams were:

1) The Vikings (NFC)
2) The Raiders (AFC)
I can only imagine the riots if the Turds went back to LA.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:54 PM
Next man up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hegor View Post
As much as I hate taxation, at least these are tax items that are targeted towards the end user, rather than punishing the non-sports fan with a stadium and a team they have no interest in. Taxing the players and owners seems appropriate, as they are the biggest winners in the stadium deal.

IMO unless there was a standard rate throughout all NFL cities... that puts us at a competitive disadvantage. The difference in state tax rates has not affected things as much as I would expect. (I am surprised the Dolphins/Buccaneers don't get every FA they seek... 8 paychecks state tax free a year?) As far as the players winning… It makes little difference if they play here or in LA… the contracts will carry over and as long as the league has a salary cap there won’t be much difference. The team isn’t going to cease to exist putting the 53 players out of work... it will be moved if we don’t get something done soon.

And yes I hate taxation to a point further than most... but to me, adding a tax to tickets to events held at the new stadium. (Be they Chargers tickets, Aztecs tickets, BCS Championship [no, it is not a national championship if there is no playoffs], UFC event, boxing event, soccer, monster truck, or whatever else we can put there in the Chargers offseason) makes sense to me. Even if it was just $5/ticket... that could help the tax payers quite a bit. The people who use it pay a portion of it. With the insane profit margins the vendors in the stadium make I am ok taxing them a bit higher than normal to help pay for things... then again the margins may be offset by the rent cost of the captive customers. I doubt anyone has access to the accounting books so we will never know.

In short... the team winning is a good thing for the entire city. People go to work happier on Monday. (only half a joke). Also I think people are a lot more likely to go out and visit a sports bar if the team is winning... same goes for a lot of smaller restraints who pay for the rights to broadcast the game... bringing in a lot of business that otherwise would not come in. I don't want to weaken the team's ability to sign FAs, be it our guys or another teams. Because the Padres are a farm team that will almost never keep any elite player for the duration of his career they aren’t going to do much for the local businesses.

If SD loses the Charagers I see a lot of sports themed business failing.. or at the absolute least struggling.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:03 PM
Hall of Famer

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ock-blackouts/

Gotta love whats going on in Minnesota.

This is sure back firing in the NFL's face right now.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:15 PM
NY, Feb 2, 2014

whoever ends up going to LA, theyll have an awesome stadium

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=vFyFCuBgRTA
Old 05-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife9878 View Post
Even if it was just $5/ticket... that could help the tax payers quite a bit. The people who use it pay a portion of it. With the insane profit margins the vendors in the stadium make I am ok taxing them a bit higher than normal to help pay for things... then again the margins may be offset by the rent cost of the captive customers. I doubt anyone has access to the accounting books so we will never know.
Of course the rent costs will be offset by customers.

a new stadium will do very little in the long run to fill the stadium. Look at the Petco.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:31 PM
Next man up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRizGod View Post
Of course the rent costs will be offset by customers.

a new stadium will do very little in the long run to fill the stadium. Look at the Petco.
I was talking about construction costs... it is the responceability of whoever rents the venue to cover the costs of renting it and profit however they can.. but taxing the tickets on top of that to pay off the loan is what I was refering to there.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Hall of Famer

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/bgDHN?u...diego-chargers

Quote:
Good news in Minnesota, not California

May, 9, 2012 May 9
2:20
PM ET

By Bill Williamson | ESPN.com

Great news in Minnesota makes for nervous times in two AFC West California cities.

Barring something unexpected, the Vikings will be staying in Minnesota with a new stadium. Minnesota instantly approved a proposed stadium. Now, the final negotiating begins. Now that the proposal has gotten this far, there is little chance it will break down.

That means the Vikings will be out of the mix to fill the void in Los Angeles. The NFL may soon bring a team to L.A..

Along with the Vikings, the San Diego Chargers and Oakland Raiders have been considered among the teams on a short list to move to Los Angeles.

The Chargers and Raiders are trying to get new stadiums but neither team has much traction in those efforts. The Chargers have widely been considered the favorite to move to Los Angeles. The Raiders have indicated all options are on the table.

With the Vikings all but out of the mix, it has to worry some folks in California.

TIM TEBOW FOR PRESIDENT!

GREAT JOB MR. SPANOS! I fully support the hires of Tom Telesco and Mike McCoy. You can count on this fan being in the stadium.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Rookie

I was born and raised in San Diego. Went to basic, and 'A' School at Balboa. I call Quallcom Stadium, San Diego Stadium, not the Murph or the Q. I used to watch the Chargers play in Balboa Stadium. I think I can call the Stadium pretty much whatever I flipping want.

So, San Diego Stadium, isn't what, big enough, new enough? What? Now you want to build a new one? So the San Diego city council can create yet another well spring of money to funnel into the council members pockets, again. I'll say three words: Petco Park! You'll all remember that debacle. Those of us living in the city didn't even get to vote on that one. So is this going to be the same thing? Well I can't see it. What will become of the big hole in Mission Valley? This is such bad idea again. When will San Diego wake up?
Troy Lawson
Old 05-09-2012, 05:56 PM
Rookie

But you're not looking at the bigger picture. Higher ticket prices means lower sales overall. You also can't sell food, beverages, merchandise to non-existant seat occupiers. So what do you have? A new empty stadium, and low revenue. But you're still taxing those seats. Good idea.

Let me ask this, how does a family of 4 go to a sporting event? I'll answer it too, they don't. Ticket prices are at an all time high. Now you want to tax on top of what owners exorbitantly charge? That really isn't all that outrageous when you raise utilities, raise rent, raise insurance, raise whatever you want. It gives owners the right to charge anything they want, but in the long run you drive your potential customers away. So what's cheaper, take your family of 4 to a sporting event or call for pizza and watch it on TV? This is what the average family thinks about when deciding to go to a sporting event.

I don't think it is a good idea to move teams right now. I would think twice about moving the Chargers or Padres to the LA market. I don't think you'd have the market appeal compared to moving the Rams or Raiders where you have proven fan bases of both. Baseball is different. You already have two teams in a saturated market, i.e. Dogers and Angels.

Look what happened to the Clippers. Where's Clipper Arena? Exactly.