Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Parking Lot Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBling View Post
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but the city of San Diego owns about 1500 acres of undeveloped land with direct access to the 805, 163 and 52 freeways. Its the miramar landfill and its estimated to be full in just ten years. Imagine a huge new commercial development in that area, with the stadium as the centerpiece. The whole area would be a natural extension of the corporate developments in the UTC area. There are rail lines a mere 2000 feet to the north of the western edge of the property and a trolly extension already planned to UTC / UCSD so mass transit wouldn't be too astronomically expensive.

Great location, but not owned by the City. They have some sort of agreement to use the land for a landfill, but the actual land is owned by the Navy. I knew about a group trying to work a deal years ago... and the Navy said NO F'ing Way. They are protective of the land surrounding the base, as they should be.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:04 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Niners really worked an excellent con-job on Santa Clara

That city is going to hate the deal when a formally well-off city from tech is riddled with potholes and school funding issues just like the rest of the state is because it all went to a new stadium.
isn't that ridiculas, two different cities teams playing in the same city/ stadium, but under different names then the city they are actually playing in They should just call the two teams the Santa Clara Raiders and 49ers or San Jose Raiders and 49ers since its right there too and at least a major city thats rapidly growing.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:37 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCountyKevin View Post
isn't that ridiculas, two different cities teams playing in the same city/ stadium, but under different names then the city they are actually playing in They should just call the two teams the Santa Clara Raiders and 49ers or San Jose Raiders and 49ers since its right there too and at least a major city thats rapidly growing.
Pretty sure they're not taking the Raiders with them...
Old 05-24-2012, 08:42 AM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo View Post
Pretty sure they're not taking the Raiders with them...
No decision has been made yet, but that will be left up to the City of Santa Clara (the entity that is financing the stadium), not the 49ers.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcRugby View Post
No decision has been made yet, but that will be left up to the City of Santa Clara (the entity that is financing the stadium), not the 49ers.
Articles from the local papers up here seem to imply that the 49ers would have to OK the Raiders as tentants. Not much is being made public except that Santa Clara went after the $1B or so financing.

According to some articles the stadium is being designed to house two home teams, just in case. It makes perfectly good sense for the Raiders and Santa Clara, but I'm not so sure the 49ers would want them down here. Lots of corporate money laying around and I don't think the 49ers would be willing to share. Future South Bay fans are sure to be 49er fans unless the Raiders move in as well.

Timing seems to work for the Raiders as well and the Davis family and other Raider owners would not have to sell any shares. A move to LA or somewhere else may require giving up share equity, a move the Davis' won't like.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:21 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1_sj View Post
Articles from the local papers up here seem to imply that the 49ers would have to OK the Raiders as tentants. Not much is being made public except that Santa Clara went after the $1B or so financing.

According to some articles the stadium is being designed to house two home teams, just in case. It makes perfectly good sense for the Raiders and Santa Clara, but I'm not so sure the 49ers would want them down here. Lots of corporate money laying around and I don't think the 49ers would be willing to share. Future South Bay fans are sure to be 49er fans unless the Raiders move in as well.

Timing seems to work for the Raiders as well and the Davis family and other Raider owners would not have to sell any shares. A move to LA or somewhere else may require giving up share equity, a move the Davis' won't like.
Unlike the Spanos family that owns 96% of Chargers' shares, Davis' ownership percentage was already far less even before Darth sold off shares over the last few years of his life to pay for the huge contracts that he was handing out like candy.

Making a move to LA would likely mean Davis becoming a minority owner - something that AEG would love but Davis would "not so love".

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.

Last edited by JoeMcRugby; 05-24-2012 at 04:23 PM..
Old 05-25-2012, 09:21 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyC View Post
Great location, but not owned by the City. They have some sort of agreement to use the land for a landfill, but the actual land is owned by the Navy. I knew about a group trying to work a deal years ago... and the Navy said NO F'ing Way. They are protective of the land surrounding the base, as they should be.
My research indicated that the city does own the landfill. What's your source please?

Old 05-25-2012, 09:35 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
My research indicated that the city does own the landfill. What's your source please?
whys it matter? its downtown or nothing at this point. Its too late to explore other options.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:23 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
"The city has operated Miramar Landfill since 1959 when it signed a $500-a-year lease deal with the military, which owns the property. The lease, which extends through 2045, changed several times through the years, notably expanding the site from 450 acres to the existing 1,400-acre plot."

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2011/...amar-landfill/

FYI - It took Google .25 seconds to find 330,000 references to Miramar Landfill lease. What research did you conduct?

Last edited by HechoEnSanDiego; 05-26-2012 at 09:35 AM..
Old 05-26-2012, 02:53 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HechoEnSanDiego View Post

FYI - It took Google .25 seconds to find 330,000 references to Miramar Landfill lease. What research did you conduct?
No need to be a jerk, I did a google search of my own.

Last edited by LordBling; 05-26-2012 at 02:59 PM..