Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2009, 09:53 PM
Veteran

Default 1090 rants and Darren Smith sucks

Am I the only one who can't stand that guy? The morning guys on 1090 are cool, their show has some good schtick, I enjoy it.

Rome is a legend, great show.

Darren, this whiney east coaster has no problems bringing up the fact that he's not a Charger or a Padre fan over and over again. Hey Darren, what are the two major sports franchises in this city? Which teams do people care about? The ones you're not a fan of, loser. An example of how much of a tool he is.....Monday, after the win over the eagles, he's trying to spin that LTs wife was inappropriate by telling him she was prego before the game. "I don't have any kids, but i don't know...." Yeahhhhh, we get it Darren. You're lonely, 37 years old not married, no kids, you drink too much and you're a loser. Get off my fricking radio! He's such a downer after being entertained for the first half of the day. I like Kevin Acee and some of the interviews he gets, if he has no guests he is garbage.

Please slide the Coach into his spot when he's back. The Coach and Kaswell. Has a nice ring to it. That would be a nicer gap between Rome and the Saw.

OK, rant off.

Last edited by kiwibolt; 11-18-2009 at 11:13 AM..
Old 11-17-2009, 09:57 PM
Boltboy

Yeah I dont like Darren Smith either. He whines and rambles on and talk in circles.
Scott and BR used to be good. But their act is getting old.
They spend 90% of the show pimping their sponsors and ramble about nothing. they used to be funny and have a good show.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:08 PM
Vinyl Whore

he sucks without philly billy
Old 11-17-2009, 10:10 PM
Fatherly advice

I actually like Darren. He isn't a Charger fan, but he has an unbiased view because he isn't a huge football fan. He is a baseball guy, and I think he is actually is a Padres fan. His interviews actually ask tougher questions, and he tries to get more than most media guys do. If you switch to 1360 during the Rome Show, you can hear more local coverage w/ Chris Ello, he is ok, but rarely gets live Interviews due to his time slot.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:21 PM
Hall of Famer

I agree with Cola....I like Darren, he gives good interviews. I hate hacksaw (5:00pm "if i have cleared the phone lines, does that mean i get to go home?"), and i think the morning guys are alright, but repetitive, and rome is starting to really bore me.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:21 PM
HULKtheBOLT

I do agree that he does tend to ramble on and on and talk in circles sometimes, but he does a good job at what he's supposed to do. I was pretty impressed a while back when the Padres ex-CEO was on. He asked some tough questions and turned the heat on the guy. The guy is as close to a journalist as you can get on 1090. Variety is kinda what keeps that station fresh. In other words, "different strokes for different folks".
Old 11-17-2009, 10:33 PM
chefgummydee

Darren Smith is actually very enjoyable. Rome on the other hand makes me wonder why I even listen to radio in the first place.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:24 AM
Rookie

Ambivalent about Smith's opinions. It's his hungover, strung-out, burnt-out, depressed delivery that makes me switch stations. Kind of how Chris Ello used to sound a couple years back.

Eeyore.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:07 AM
imthescatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by madflabby View Post
Am I the only one who can't stand that guy? The morning guys on 1090 are cool, their show has some good schtick, I enjoy it.

Rome is a legend, great show.
stopped reading there.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:02 AM
Rookie

Rome entertains. Love him or hate him, he will at least entertain you. I get SO tired of the various sports talk radio "shows" that never say anything about anything. They always have promos that talk about how edgy they are, and how you never know what they will say next - but they ALWAYS take the safe route. Example:

"Coming up next- The best and worst of the NFL!"

Guess what is coming. Raiders worst, Colts best, bla bla bla. I knew that. I can figure that out by my damn self. Why don't you smack talk some listeners or say something that makes me actually want to spend time listening. Rome is a clown, and he knows it. Thats why he is the most listenable voice on AM radio.