Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throw Back View Post
The defense is far from being great. The D Line may be the worst in the league. We have Cooper who is mediocre at inside LB. Our secondary is average at best.- other than Jammer there is no one else that is a difference maker (and please don't talk about Weddle)

This is the result of alot of blown picks by AJ on the defensive side of the ball.
Facts highlighted in bold.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:24 PM
Draft This Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargerbomb View Post
He weighed in at about 325 on opening day last year, just FYI.
I thought it was 335?

sean of BSX
Old 06-23-2010, 07:27 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikeman83 View Post
Facts highlighted in bold.
Blown picks by AJ on the defensive side of the ball:

Waters
Cromartie

Who else was a clear-cut blown pick by AJ? Tribble? Chase Page? Some other late-round scrubs? Don't say Cason because it's way too early to make that proclamation.

I guess you can talk about Sammy Davis and Terrence Kiel, but that's ancient history.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:30 PM
Draft This Man

Quote:

Waters
Cromartie

Who else was a clear-cut blown pick by AJ? Tribble? Chase Page? Some other late-round scrubs? Don't say Cason because it's way too early to make that proclamation.

I guess you can talk about Sammy Davis and Terrence Kiel, but that's ancient history.
And you can't really fault AJ..... He was probably following Butler's plans.

sean of BSX
Old 06-23-2010, 07:35 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammerHammer23 View Post
And you can't really fault AJ..... He was probably following Butler's plans.
True.

Wasn't Wilhelm part of that crappy draft class as well?
Old 06-23-2010, 07:38 PM
Draft This Man

Quote:
True.

Wasn't Wilhelm part of that crappy draft class as well?
Yes.....

Only redeeming factors were Scifres and the crop of UDFAs. And Hanik Milligan.

Which included two All Pros who are both top 7 at their positions. Gates is top 3, Dielman top 7.

Sammy Davis over Polamalu and Aso... Dislike.

sean of BSX
Old 06-23-2010, 08:04 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:

Waters
Cromartie

I agree with you that there are not that may clear-cut blown picks, however you have to agree some of these guys need to start to make an impact this year.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throw Back View Post
I agree with you that there are not that may clear-cut blown picks, however you have to agree some of these guys need to start to make an impact this year.
True.

Recent draftees who could make an impact this year:

Cason - I strongly believe that he will step right in and play well. He will be a playmaker at CB opposite Jammer's steady play.

English - Lets hope for the best. I don't know if he'll be great, but he could break out potentially.

V Martin - The jury is still out, and may be out for another year.

Butler- Dude could be a starter sooner than later. Solid tackler with speed to cover.

Stuckey - Likely starter by the bye week.

Cam Thomas - Will be in the NT rotation as a run-stopper.

That is 6 defensive draft picks who are expected to contribute this year on D, 4 of whom should be starting at some point this year. You'll have a much better idea about our D, and AJ's defensive drafting prowess, after this season.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
True.

Recent draftees who could make an impact this year:

Cason - I strongly believe that he will step right in and play well. He will be a playmaker at CB opposite Jammer's steady play.

English - Lets hope for the best. I don't know if he'll be great, but he could break out potentially.

V Martin - The jury is still out, and may be out for another year.

Butler- Dude could be a starter sooner than later. Solid tackler with speed to cover.

Stuckey - Likely starter by the bye week.

Cam Thomas - Will be in the NT rotation as a run-stopper.

That is 6 defensive draft picks who are expected to contribute this year on D, 4 of whom should be starting at some point this year. You'll have a much better idea about our D, and AJ's defensive drafting prowess, after this season.
Yeah, get real, there's a dearth of talent across the board on the defensive side of the ball. There's no clear cut talent at NT, RE, ILB is questionable (with Burnett's age), Safety is up in the air unless Stucky steps up huge.

If you think our Defensive picks have been good over the last couple of years, then you aren't seeing the holes at all three levels of our defense, especially up front where it matters the most.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:43 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikeman83 View Post
Yeah, get real, there's a dearth of talent across the board on the defensive side of the ball. There's no clear cut talent at NT, RE, ILB is questionable (with Burnett's age), Safety is up in the air unless Stucky steps up huge.

If you think our Defensive picks have been good over the last couple of years, then you aren't seeing the holes at all three levels of our defense, especially up front where it matters the most.
What's this about Burnett's age? He's 27, just entering his prime. I'm sure you mean Cooper, the guy who is likely to lose his starting position to either Burnett or Butler as the season goes on.

Our DLine is a question mark, there is no doubt about it. But it was a huge question mark last year and we made it to 13-3. Our guys are a year older and better now. I don't think it's as big a problem as you're making it out to be.

The secondary will be fine. Actually, it'll be a position of strength. Just watch.