Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Line of Demarcation to Fire Norv Turner
Below .500, miss playoffs 59 0.27%
.500 or above, miss playoffs 89 0.40%
Make playoffs, go 0-1 in WC round 29 0.13%
Make playoffs, go 0-1 in Div. round 17 0.08%
Make playoffs, go 1-1 with loss in Div. round 11 0.05%
Lose in AFCCG 16 0.07%
Lose in SB 7 0.03%
Win SB 16 0.07%
Fire him now, season be damned! 171 0.77%
Never fire Norv, he's cuddly 21,663 98.12%
Voters: 22078. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 03:23 PM
kokuaesq

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moekid View Post
I just heard Antonio Garay on the radio. He "loves" Norv. Most important person in his career.
You hear that a lot from his players. Here is a really scary thought, what if the fact is that Norv is a really good head coach and the CMB calls for his head are way out of line as he is doing a great job. The implications if that statement is true could make a charger fan really wake up in a cold sweat.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:24 PM
Hall of Famer

Norv makes me angry the way he coaches in the game sometimes. If he can't get it done, he needs to go.

A coach who doesn't win a superbowl doesn't make him a bad coach. He's just not a great one. We don't need good, we need great. If Norv Turners not great, we need to look in a different direction and have someone bring in whatever Norv Turner was missing.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1_sj View Post
He's not a bad coach, he's just not a good HC. There is a big difference there. I'd hire Norv as an OC if that's all he was in charge of. His record as a HC pretty much proves he's not the kind of HC that's going to lead a team to the promised land. He had many issues with players in Washington and Oakland and I'm willing to bet that if AJ were not the GM in SD he'd have the same issues here. We already can see that PR and Norv are not on the same page these days.
I have always said that our franchise QB and other players love him so who are we to judge

This is the first season I can honestly see Norv losing the team. On top of that, it looks as if he and Rivers are miles apart on some calls. I do know from watching Rivers and listening to Acee that Rivers has an issue with some decisions Norv makes.....like never going for it rather settling to punt or for a FG
Old 11-22-2011, 03:34 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltBacker4Life View Post
I have always said that our franchise QB and other players love him so who are we to judge

This is the first season I can honestly see Norv losing the team. On top of that, it looks as if he and Rivers are miles apart on some calls. I do know from watching Rivers and listening to Acee that Rivers has an issue with some decisions Norv makes.....like never going for it rather settling to punt or for a FG
They love him because he is a great person. That doesn't make him a great HC. At some point the players make the distinction. That happened in Washington and much earlier than expected in Oakland.

For whatever reason Marty had the reputation of losing in the PO. That didn't change here. Norv had the reputation of being mediocre, I don't think that's really changed here. His W-L record here is not mediocre, but I'd argue that the way the Chargers play is.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekal View Post
A lot of prime time announces. Also, when he was having his winning seasons here analayst and the fans were all saying how good of a coach he is down the stretch and how he doesn't panic when things get rough. His ability to keep the team focused. His ability to get players to play hard. That has never been a question on this team.

We were 4-8 with the division pretty much slipping away like it is now. We won four games in a row, including the last tie breaker game that would have been us or them. Well it was us. And Norv Turner was the coach.

People have always said, most teams would quit at 4-8.

As for names, I don't need to try to remember all of the people, players and sports professionals who have said that. It's not important enough to me to prove that to you because I know I have heard it.
You sure we are talking about Norv here?
Old 11-22-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
What Norv Turner has done in the pass has no effect on what we are doing now. As of right now, Norv Turner is not a good heac coach. With the Redskins and the Raiders he was not a good head coach.

As of, 2007,2008 and 2009, he was a good coach. As of 2010 and 2011 he has been sub par with questionable upper management decisions including, VJ contract issue, MM contract issue, Darren Sproles, draft picks, loss of DC and the loss of buddy nicks.

The career coaching percentage with the chargers is above average. Average being .500
So you think one can be a bad coach, good coach, bad coach, good coach
Old 11-22-2011, 03:36 PM
Hall of Famer

BTW. People who say Norv doesn't have control over his players make me laugh. How many players in the league have came forward and personally called out their coach? A LOT. Tom Coughlin being one of them. I actually think Tom Coughlin is an ok coach. Not great. If Coughlin could win a SB I think Norv could.

There have been plenty of players who called out their coach. Not one of ours has done it. That shows that Norv Turner does have control of this team year in and year out.

A lot of what is said about him is false and just a rumor. People seem to hate the guy and if Norv looked like any of these other 31 coaches in the league, there wouldn't be a problem.

I get it, he rubs off on people the wrong way. His reputation has been so badly damaged by false perceptions and rumors. The players that have been here are able to say that about him.

I give Norv Turner a C for in game coaching. He makes questionable calls in games but I have yet to see him make ANY questionable calls in any of the playoff games he has coached.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1_sj View Post
They love him because he is a great person. That doesn't make him a great HC. At some point the players make the distinction. That happened in Washington and much earlier than expected in Oakland.

For whatever reason Marty had the reputation of losing in the PO. That didn't change here. Norv had the reputation of being mediocre, I don't think that's really changed here. His W-L record here is not mediocre, but I'd argue that the way the Chargers play is.
totally agree, good post

It is weird when I see posts like "he has the 5th most wins in the NFL since 2007" because the way the team has played the past 5 years doesn't seem like that stat can be true....which I know it is
Old 11-22-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
BTW. People who say Norv doesn't have control over his players make me laugh. How many players in the league have came forward and personally called out their coach? A LOT. Tom Coughlin being one of them. I actually think Tom Coughlin is an ok coach. Not great. If Coughlin could win a SB I think Norv could.

There have been plenty of players who called out their coach. Not one of ours has done it. That shows that Norv Turner does have control of this team year in and year out.

A lot of what is said about him is false and just a rumor. People seem to hate the guy and if Norv looked like any of these other 31 coaches in the league, there wouldn't be a problem.

I get it, he rubs off on people the wrong way. His reputation has been so badly damaged by false perceptions and rumors. The players that have been here are able to say that about him.

I give Norv Turner a C for in game coaching. He makes questionable calls in games but I have yet to see him make ANY questionable calls in any of the playoff games he has coached.
What makes you think they are all rumors? Where there is smoke...a lot of smoke, there is fire
Old 11-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:

You either don't know Norv's history in Washington or have not payed attention. I'll give Norv a pass in Oakland, we know that ship was sinking at the time.

As to your comments. How do you think a Charger player making a negative remark in public (never mind calling him out) would go over with AJ? I think you missed a very big point.
Closed Thread