Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Line of Demarcation to Fire Norv Turner
Below .500, miss playoffs 59 0.27%
.500 or above, miss playoffs 89 0.40%
Make playoffs, go 0-1 in WC round 29 0.13%
Make playoffs, go 0-1 in Div. round 17 0.08%
Make playoffs, go 1-1 with loss in Div. round 11 0.05%
Lose in AFCCG 16 0.07%
Lose in SB 7 0.03%
Win SB 16 0.07%
Fire him now, season be damned! 171 0.77%
Never fire Norv, he's cuddly 21,663 98.12%
Voters: 22078. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 05:06 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekal View Post
I'm confused because I remember hearing that Marty didn't have much say in drafting players. Norv Turner has played with TONS of young talent since he has been here. I think you should evaulate the players Norv has had year compared to Marty.

And guess what, Norv Turner made it further than Marty with legit receivers that Norv developed! Jackson and Floyd were back ups in 2006.
11 Pro bowlers turned to mush after Marty left. Dielman and McNeill can no longer run block and now are having trouble protecting the Qb. Yes you are confused.

Norv has had the luxury of much better WRs than Marty had. Also had a better all round defense because prior to 2007 our DB were among the worst in the league. Marty had a better front seven, that's about it.
He made the best of LT and Gates, those were our offensive talents.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1_sj View Post
11 Pro bowlers turned to mush after Marty left. Dielman and McNeill can no longer run block and now are having trouble protecting the Qb. Yes you are confused.

Norv has had the luxury of much better WRs than Marty had. Also had a better all round defense because prior to 2007 our DB were among the worst in the league. Marty had a better front seven, that's about it.
He made the best of LT and Gates, those were our offensive talents.
Yeah but that front 7 was salty!!!!!! The secondary didn't need to be very good with how much pressure we put on the QB. All of that left the year Norv took over. All of a sudden we started to absolutely suck at applying pressure on the QB. From 61 sacks in 06 to 42 in 07 and 28 in 08
Old 11-22-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltBacker4Life View Post
Yeah but that front 7 was salty!!!!!! The secondary didn't need to be very good with how much pressure we put on the QB. All of that left the year Norv took over. All of a sudden we started to absolutely suck at applying pressure on the QB. From 61 sacks in 06 to 42 in 07 and 28 in 08
Yeah that 06 team was one powerful charger team that could/should beat anyone that yr. I still can't find myself to watch the playoff game again.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiBolt View Post
Yeah that 06 team was one powerful charger team that could/should beat anyone that yr. I still can't find myself to watch the playoff game again.
I'll watch the first 28 minutes, then I shut that thing down.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asimov View Post
I'll watch the first 28 minutes, then I shut that thing down.
thats too much torture for me. lol
Old 11-22-2011, 05:39 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1_sj View Post
Norv had major problems in the locker room in Washington. A couple players called him out after one particularily ugly game. He started out OK there but it didn't end well. Jerry Rice and the fat man on NFL.com didn't have good things to say about Norv in Oakland either. At the time Al Davis ran the show there and we know what side he takes. But some of the negative comments from these guys have come AFTER Norv left the Raiders.
So did Marty. Don't remember it happening to Norv though.

"We confide in our strength, without boasting of it; we respect that of others, without fearing it." Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Fan since 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekal View Post
The truth is I disagree with what 90% of this board thinks about Norv Turner. I think he is a good coach. I also think that if a good coach cant get the job done then we need to move in a new direction. I am just trying to explain to people why he is a good coach.

Being a good coach doesn't validate a stay if you can't make the playoffs.

Unfortunately Spanos and AJ think the same as you do.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:57 PM
Hall of Famer

[QUOTE=charger1_sj;3733301]Evidence seems to indicate that you are wrong. We've had repeated years where the team has slow starts. That's a sign that we are not well prepared to begin with. Slow starts don't mean much if we can make the playoffs year in and year out. This year, we started 4-1.

We've lost too many games to inferior teams. That a sure sign of bad coaching. A look at the better coaches in the league shows the trend.All good coaches lose to weaker teams. It happens to the best of them.

We've had breakdowns on D in 2008, ST in 2010, offense in 2011. All bad signs that point to coaching. But not all three fell at once. Look at Belichicks defense this year. Actually, his defense hasn't been good since he lost his three veterans and some other guys.

Ever since Norv took over our red zone offense went from #1 to nearly dead last. Again trouble brewing. I don't know the stats but aren't we usually top five in scoring?

While there are circumstances behind some of these events history shows that good coaches are able to overcome some of these circumstances. Norv Turner has shown he can overcome plenty of circumstances. How about beating the NFC east in 2009? There are a lot of coaches who couldn't do that. Philadelphia, NY, Washington and Dallas. We played in Dallas and NY.

I stood up for Norv and gave him his opportunity. Still has a chance to save his job. But no question he should otherwise be released.I agree with this last part right here.[/QUOTE]'

I don't know if he should get any more chances. Five years is enough to show that he isn't the right man for the job. But I don't think he is a bad coach. I think he is a good coach, but he might not be a good enough coach to get our team to the superbowl.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:02 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltBacker4Life View Post
Marty is a better coach. Marty gets more out of his players. That's what a good coach does and it's what Marty was known for.

And FYI, Jackson was a second round reach (at the time) coming from a very small school. Floyd has never done anything but get hurt

Marty gets more out of his player? HAHAHA.

Tell me how much Norv got out of Tony Mull and Steven Schilling last week? A lot.

How about Garay, who we never heard of until he got here. Norv can't get the most out of his players? We lost to one of the best teams ever 21-12 in a hostile place in the AFCCG. We lost to one of the best teams to ever play. And we lost with a quarterback that had a torn ACL and a HOF running back that did not play, because he was injured.

Also, Norv sure got the most out of Billy Volek when he had to fill in for Rivers in the third quarter of a heated playoff game.

Also, Norv has consistently exceeded his expectations here in his first three season. Nobody thought Norv Turner could do what he did, but he did it. Maybe there is something else he can do, but hasn't done it.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:07 PM
Hall of Famer

Marty was a great coach and I was upset when he left. I still wish we would have kept him.

I 100% disagree with anyone saying that Norv Turner can't get the most out of his players. There is no factual evidence that can support he can't. To say that his players aren't playing at 100 percent can not really be determined.

Look at Kassim Osgood. Norv tried to get the most out of him as a Receiver and couldn't do it. Neither could Jacksonville. If the talent was there, it was there.

Norv Turner is a professional football coach and has succeeded with this team. He hasn't last year and hasn't this year.

This is why we are actually considering serious change. Which I am all for.