Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Line of Demarcation to Fire Norv Turner
Below .500, miss playoffs 59 0.27%
.500 or above, miss playoffs 89 0.40%
Make playoffs, go 0-1 in WC round 29 0.13%
Make playoffs, go 0-1 in Div. round 17 0.08%
Make playoffs, go 1-1 with loss in Div. round 11 0.05%
Lose in AFCCG 16 0.07%
Lose in SB 7 0.03%
Win SB 16 0.07%
Fire him now, season be damned! 171 0.77%
Never fire Norv, he's cuddly 21,663 98.12%
Voters: 22078. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 07:02 AM
TY Kris Dielman

The #1 thing that happened was Jamaal Williams got old. The #2 thing that happened was Shawne Merriman broke. The rest is history.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:19 AM
Hall of Famer

The whole change of culture. No rushing attack is a key issue here. You can't keep the defense honest when you can't gain yards on the ground. You can't gain yards on the ground without an at least average run block O-Line or at least a FB that can at least block a safety. We had non of the Hester could even block a CB let alone a LB or a DE. Or O-Line never really improved. Norv's playcalling has always been questionable but it digresses every year. You can't split carries between 2 running backs when one is clearly way better then the other one. Give Matthews the rock please. Injuries and holdouts did not help the cause either. There is a lot of things that have gone wrong lately. But as far as roster I see some slight improvements. That special teams problem should gone. I just think it's awful with that K.O. rule makes it almost impossible to run one back. Cause Royal can run a few back but with that new rule makes it very hard. All in all I hope we can improve soon.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:43 AM
Hall of Famer

Injuries. We were one game, one more good play out of the playoffs in 2010 and 2011.

Improved depth was an obvious area of need. AJ's been working on it. Meanwhile our young draft picks have been growing and learning. I look forward with considerable anticipation to seeing our final roster this year.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:46 AM
Boo first. Think later.

Injury, Special Teams, Defense/Oline, and Rivers fumbling a snap

And losing coordinaters year after year after year.

"I like to turn the offense into a defense. I want them to worry about what we're gonna do. I want them to try to defend us." -Junior Seau

Last edited by thumper300zx; 04-12-2012 at 09:55 AM..
Old 04-12-2012, 09:49 AM
Hall of Famer

A down year after the Vets left and injuries. But not just injuries to our side. Last year we injured a lot of players of opposing teams before our division rivals had to play them.

Biggest Bolt fan across the pond
Old 04-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife9878 View Post
Injuries are a part of the game and teams need to be prepared for it with solid backups. Packers won a Super Bowl recently with a massive IR list, Texans one a playoff game with a 3rd string QB... we failed where other teams suceeded.
The Pack & NYG were lucky to make the playoffs at 9-7 but did step up to the plate in the post-season tourney. We didn't. They were one play, one game better in reg season. There's room to improve but the margin of difference is small.

Make the playoffs any old way, have a few key guys step up when you're there.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:59 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post

Almost spit my coffee out all over my desk!!
Old 04-12-2012, 10:03 AM
Experienced

What I saw on the field was a lack of execution. I'm a firm believer in players playing to their potential. If they don't play to their potential it's either a lack of motivation/lazyness or a lack of preparation.
Both problems can be related to the coaching staff, but again I feel a man is responsible or his own performance. Unless the players say they are not being prepared by the coaching staff then it's on the players or the leader of the players while on the field.
I don't think it's a lack of talent on the roster or the offensive and defensive schemes, I think they have the tools they just don't use them.
Poor tackling, weak blocking, fumbles and watching the play instead of participating during the play on both sides of the ball are why we aren't the team we should be.
Other than that, it's still all about outscoring your opponent every week that causes a losing record.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Hall of Famer

everyone knows we are the bad boys in the AFC west, I think every since Rivers and Norv came in we dominated this division. sometimes I think the mentality of the team was "we got this, easy", being in a not so competitive division. mentally that could have set us back. hopefully with Manning's entry to this division it will boost the morale of the players wanting to be the best again! the blackouts didn't help either, shows less support since LT left.

EDIT, the true answer to this thread is, IT'S THE LT CURSE!!! noooo! haha

Last edited by medafor; 04-12-2012 at 10:43 AM..
Old 04-12-2012, 10:46 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatomalo View Post
Two coaching failures .... Crosby who should have been fired years before he was followed by a totally incompetent Mansucky as DC. Simple as that.

Norv is ultimately responsible for his staff so like the capt of a ship he needs to take responsibility. Mansucky was his hire...its clear from how quickly AJ simply promoted Pagano, that John was his choice to begin with last year. It was also clear from FO comments that the reason Mansucky wasn't fired over the break was because of Norv's support.

Additional collateral failure was also Norv in his very strange player personnel choices in particular at WR. Also in allowing Shelmon to dictate player packages during the games and Shelmon's bizzare fixation on Tolbert in the red zone.
I pretty much second this notion as well. Special teams was the sole reason we didn't make the Playoffs in 2010, and Tolbert's lack of ability to score in the red zone was a huge part of not reaching the postseason in 2011.
Closed Thread