Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Line of Demarcation to Fire Norv Turner
Below .500, miss playoffs 59 0.27%
.500 or above, miss playoffs 89 0.40%
Make playoffs, go 0-1 in WC round 29 0.13%
Make playoffs, go 0-1 in Div. round 17 0.08%
Make playoffs, go 1-1 with loss in Div. round 11 0.05%
Lose in AFCCG 16 0.07%
Lose in SB 7 0.03%
Win SB 16 0.07%
Fire him now, season be damned! 171 0.77%
Never fire Norv, he's cuddly 21,663 98.12%
Voters: 22078. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 09:48 AM
Hall of Famer

Injuries and coaching mistakes. Simple as that. And last season Rivers had a heck of a time getting the ball to our receivers, which I suspect a lot of is due to the fact that he had limited time to get the ball out with the weakened front line.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Picture Perfect

WE had slow receivers....Not now.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:59 AM
5 Digits

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorajim View Post
Injuries. We were one game, one more good play out of the playoffs in 2010 and 2011.

Improved depth was an obvious area of need. AJ's been working on it. Meanwhile our young draft picks have been growing and learning. I look forward with considerable anticipation to seeing our final roster this year.
bingo!

the mystery is solved...

Feb. 1, 2015 - Glendale, Arizona

Old 04-12-2012, 10:34 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by medafor View Post
Keep it clean guys, but be honest.
The problem is Spanos it has always been Spanos. They just change the first names and continue on with a new regime of mediocrity. Each succession will just get a little worse.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:36 AM
Hall of Famer

lack of desire and depleted talent
Old 04-12-2012, 11:09 AM
Boltar

RANT ON:

The owner is ultimately responsible.

Norv is also a weak, soft, un-confident leader and it shows. You dont have to be a tyranical dictator, but I feel he has lost the players, staffs, fans respect. You can feel it in his voice and body language. In war you must lead from the front with courage and confidence!

Few! I feel better now!

RANT OFF.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:20 AM
Hall of Famer

There are a couple of issues. I would blame coaching at 20%, luck at 20% players and talent at 60%.

I have already went over this in other threads, I utilized stats and examples. It was probably too long or not what people wanted to hear. The biggest reason is simply AJ Smith. More than Norv Turner, more than anything else.

Corytell was AJ's hire, Manuksy who people blame on Norv was AJ Smith's hire. Norv didn't work with Manusky, AJ Smith did. AJ Smith brings in the coaches.

Crosby was an average STs coach who did well when he had probowl great ST players. AJ Smith, who is in charge of getting players, did not realize that losing Osgood and the next top ST was going to hurt. Losing Binn another special teams ace hurt. Having Tolbert, Hester, Applewhite, and others who were top ST players play offense/defense AND STs means they weren't as good as STs.

This all led to a failure at ST with lack of personnel and a coach who could do a quick turn around (Crosby) the cause.

In 2010 we also didn't have MM for a couple games and VJ for most of the season.

We needed one win.

So lets see:

KC one TD loss, driving near the end a lot of pressure on PR the whole game at LT.
Sea one TD loss a lot of pressure on PR
Oak One TD and extra point loss
STL one FG loss
NE one FG loss

Should I go on?

Do you think having one probowl LT and one probowl WR would have helped.. Fact is we did poor in 2010 due to lack of talent on ST, lack of talent on Offense (MM and VJ with no one to replace VJ). This along with injuries.

The same can be said about this year 2011. A year we almost made it, but what happened? Rivers under pressure. Clary having one of his worst years. Half our O-line going down to injuries. Issues at WR. Issues at safety. No real pass rush. Little push down the front. Corner's playing badly. The Def Cord that AJ Smith knew, liked, and picked doing a poor job. Shaun Phillips going down.

If we had Green and Gaither, who killed it down the stretch we would have won one more game.

Lack of talent. Having the fewest top draft picks starting and playing for our team. Out of the last three drafts AJ Smith has found one pro bowl player.

2006:
Cro: Average corner, gets burned a lot, not with us. Had one good year with SD.
MM: Former pro bowl tackle. Says he is healthy, yet no team wants him. After his second year was having injuries and other issues.
Clary: Average to below average RT. Needs TE, RB, FB chip against above average players to perform.

2007:
Weddle: One of the best safeties in the league, Probowl player.

2008:
Cason: Starter 2010, 2011 had a bad season. Not sure about him yet
Hester: Average FB, St player

2009:
Louis Vasquez- Starter, injured and struggled at times, has taken 3 years to really develop into a starter.
Martin- Finally showing promise, has taken at least 3 years. His first two he was shoved around A LOT.
Green- Backup, now maybe a starter. Wait and see. Didn't contribute for one year.

2010:
Ryan Mathews-Starter, probowl player. Didn't play up to potential 2010, injury history. This might be his year.
Donald Butler- Didn't play his first year, did well 2011.
Stuckey- Has potential, hasn't done anything in two years.
Thomas-Nothing his first year, this year has showed promise, needs time.

2011:

Cory Liguet- Played below average, is still developing. Wasn't a main contributor.
Gilchrist- Burned a lot, did very little his first year.
Mouton- Injured
Vincent Brown- Didn't play half the year. Looked good near the end of the season.

AJ Smith has in the more recent drafts done a pretty good job. However, from a guy who only goes through the drafts he missed A LOT. He failed to get FA talent, foresee issues, or even pick the right DC.

The fact of the matter is we lost a HOF RB and the guy who replaced him was injured and has not performed as expected. Our entire DL, which was one of the best in the league, has been replaced with guys who need time to develop. We used to have two top pass rushers, now we have Shaun Phillips who was injured half of last year. Our WR threat was VJ, Floyd often injured, and maybe a veteran player or a rookie who came out of no where. Our best offensive player after LT, Gates, injured and not himself. Our best St players (non punter) no longer with us the last two years, kicker one year.

Jammer getting older and having issues, Cason not even a replacement for Florence last year. No safety help for Weddle. Issues at ILB. OL injuries and issues the last two years.

Lack of depth, talent. A slow draining of talented guys through retirement, injury, or changing teams. That is the reason why. In fact if you look at what we have Norv isn't as bad of a coach as many believe.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltar View Post
RANT ON:

The owner is ultimately responsible.

Norv is also a weak, soft, un-confident leader and it shows. You dont have to be a tyranical dictator, but I feel he has lost the players, staffs, fans respect. You can feel it in his voice and body language. In war you must lead from the front with courage and confidence!

Few! I feel better now!

RANT OFF.
Except when the owner, GM, staff, and players stood up for him and said they don't want him gone...
Old 04-12-2012, 11:23 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
WE had slow receivers....Not now.
We had NO receivers.

Remember under Marty Gates, LT were are biggest scorers. We lose LT and Gates gets injured. Then we have no bodies who Rivers and Norv make work. We have Floyd who is often injured. We have VJ, a good WR, who wasn't with us most of 2010.

For the last 4 years we lacked consistent WR depth. Picking up Crayton and Chambers wasn't solving our issue.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:32 AM
Boltar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundiego View Post
Except when the owner, GM, staff, and players stood up for him and said they don't want him gone...

Do you really beleive they would throw him under the bus in front of national media?

Phillip Rivers, "I really dont want Norv back, uhhh nice guy, good technician but poor head coach..." Really?

Yes, there have been twitter tirades, etc, etc... This has lead both the League and Teams to implament clear rules reagarding comments detramental to the organization.

Its so obvious and cliche. I hope Aj/Norv proves me wrong but this is also the opinion of many around the league, "expert analysts" and other fans.
Closed Thread