Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Line of Demarcation to Fire Norv Turner
Below .500, miss playoffs 59 0.27%
.500 or above, miss playoffs 89 0.40%
Make playoffs, go 0-1 in WC round 29 0.13%
Make playoffs, go 0-1 in Div. round 17 0.08%
Make playoffs, go 1-1 with loss in Div. round 11 0.05%
Lose in AFCCG 16 0.07%
Lose in SB 7 0.03%
Win SB 16 0.07%
Fire him now, season be damned! 171 0.77%
Never fire Norv, he's cuddly 21,663 98.12%
Voters: 22078. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Hall of Famer

We had not just good, but GREAT drafts in the early to mid 2000's. We didn't just hit on some key #1 picks, we found value up and down the draft board. Our 2004 and 2005 drafts were absolutely stacked, and a big part of our core came from those drafts.

http://www.databasefootball.com/draf...?tm=SDG&lg=nfl

But by now, all of those players have gotten much older in NFL years, and many are past their peak.

Our recent drafts have produce much smaller returns, not only at the top but in overall depth as well. Part of it has been poor judgement, but also part of it is that nobody can consistently have drafts like 2004 and 2005 every year. So despite whatever mistakes or bad fortune has come our way (be it injuries, STD's, bad Hochuli calls or whatever), the decline in overall talent inevitably takes it toll on the results on the field.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:37 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundiego View Post
We had NO receivers.

Remember under Marty Gates, LT were are biggest scorers. We lose LT and Gates gets injured. Then we have no bodies who Rivers and Norv make work. We have Floyd who is often injured. We have VJ, a good WR, who wasn't with us most of 2010.

For the last 4 years we lacked consistent WR depth. Picking up Crayton and Chambers wasn't solving our issue.
At the time we picked up Chambers, we were very good at receivers- Gates was younger and healthier, Chambers was a very solid pickup, and VJ was just starting to come into his own.

But yeah, last couple of years have been pretty thin since all those guys I mentioned were gone, injuried, or otherwise out of action.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:39 AM
Hall of Famer

It depends. If players were really cold on Norv, then you could probably read between the lines in their statements. But Rivers for example genuinely seemed to be stumping for Norv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltar View Post
Do you really beleive they would throw him under the bus in front of national media?

Phillip Rivers, "I really dont want Norv back, uhhh nice guy, good technician but poor head coach..." Really?

Yes, there have been twitter tirades, etc, etc... This has lead both the League and Teams to implament clear rules reagarding comments detramental to the organization.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:47 AM
@iamjoeking

Quote:
Do you really beleive they would throw him under the bus in front of national media?

Phillip Rivers, "I really dont want Norv back, uhhh nice guy, good technician but poor head coach..." Really?

Yes, there have been twitter tirades, etc, etc... This has lead both the League and Teams to implament clear rules reagarding comments detramental to the organization.

Its so obvious and cliche. I hope Aj/Norv proves me wrong but this is also the opinion of many around the league, "expert analysts" and other fans.
Spanos kept Norv because in his words "the players played hard for Norv".
Old 04-12-2012, 12:10 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
The players didn't need to throw Norv under the bus to get rid of him. All they needed to do was say nothing or talk in typical player cliche speak and Norv was history.

Instead, PR (along with other players) went directly to Dean Spanos and lobbied for his return:

Quote:
The relationship between Turner and Rivers ended up being one of the key factors in his decision to stick with this regime. Rivers and several other Chargers went directly to ownership to make the case for why Turner should stay and presents them with their best chance for a championship.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...headline_stack
Fans can directly blame PR and other team leaders for Norv's return. It wouldn't have happened without their passionate pleas to ownership.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.

Last edited by JoeMcRugby; 04-12-2012 at 12:28 PM..
Old 04-12-2012, 12:20 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by interpolfan11 View Post
Lack of clutch play and some of the silliest mistakes on the field ever made by an NFL team.
Such as the yellow flag we got for Craytons INVALID FAIR CATCH SIGNAL.
Geez I can't let that go. Has any other team been flagged for that?
Old 04-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Rookie

They shouldn't have to rally for their coaches job. That action alone says alot. Are we all mistaken? Who knows what really goes on behind closed doors.

Rivers and many other players have flourished under Norv, yet the team as a whole has clearly underachieved.

Boneheaded mental errors, poor choices of staff, slow starts, injuries (lack of preporation/conditioning?) lack luster drafts, poor timing of contracts and cap space, all lead to management.

Continuity was Spanos's buzz word all the while he makes changes left and right.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Hall of Famer

Not winning games when they really mattered.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:38 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
They shouldn't have to rally for their coaches job. That action alone says alot. Are we all mistaken? Who knows what really goes on behind closed doors.
You stated that what did we expect - for the players to throw Norv under the bus? I simply stated that the players didn't need to throw him under the bus - all they had to do was keep quiet or speak in stereotypical player cliche talk.

If the players wanted Norv to be gone, all they had to do was not lobby for his return. Lobbying for his return is exactly what happened - and PR not only lobbied the owner, he also lobbied through the media:

Quote:
“It would be crazy for Norv to not be here. We’ve won 48 games in five years. Norv can’t make every throw. Norv didn’t fumble. You can’t go, ‘Gee, Norv, why did you throw that pass?’"

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...ch-norv-turner
You can listen to PR right here:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...t-norv-turner/

Right or wrong, agree or disagree with their thought process, the players wanted Norv back. That's a fact.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:42 PM
TY Kris Dielman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcRugby View Post
You stated that what did we expect - for the players to throw Norv under the bus? I simply stated that the players didn't need to throw him under the bus - all they had to do was keep quiet or speak in stereotypical player cliche talk.

If the players wanted Norv to be gone, all they had to do was not lobby for his return. Lobbying for his return is exactly what happened - and PR not only lobbied the owner, he also lobbied through the media:

You can listen to PR right here:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...t-norv-turner/

Right or wrong, agree or disagree with their thought process, the players wanted Norv back. That's a fact.
*Puts on pretend psychologist hat*

I also think PR tends to form exceptionally tight bonds with his head coach, probably because his dad was a coach. So you really do have to take PR's objectivity with a grain of salt.