Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Line of Demarcation to Fire Norv Turner
Below .500, miss playoffs 59 0.27%
.500 or above, miss playoffs 89 0.40%
Make playoffs, go 0-1 in WC round 29 0.13%
Make playoffs, go 0-1 in Div. round 17 0.08%
Make playoffs, go 1-1 with loss in Div. round 11 0.05%
Lose in AFCCG 16 0.07%
Lose in SB 7 0.03%
Win SB 16 0.07%
Fire him now, season be damned! 171 0.77%
Never fire Norv, he's cuddly 21,663 98.12%
Voters: 22078. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Hall of Famer

C'mon.... why bring up a topic like this again. Everyone should already know. Not hatin... but there's better things to talk about.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Boltar

Lets assume the players genuingly wanted Norv/AJ back. Does that make the decision correct or more correct? Do employees (or fans) always know whats best for the company?

I once had a boss who I did not like. In fact, I couldnt stand him. But boy did the company grow and I made alot of money.

At this point we must agree to disagree.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:02 PM
@iamjoeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltar View Post
Lets assume the players genuingly wanted Norv/AJ back. Does that make the decision correct or more correct? Do employees always know whats best for the company?

I once had a boss who I did not like. In fact, I couldnt stand him. But boy did the company grow and I made alot of money.

So you're saying the Chargers should bring in a coach the players don't like? Or are you just trying to support your line of thinking?
Old 04-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Hall of Famer

this is just a thread perfect for arguments and complaining.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Boltar

No, I beleive its IS important to "like" your coaches. Its not as important as respect, motivational and leadership skills.

Belicheck is a notorious jerk and not even close to being a nice guy, but a shoe in HOF coach with results.

A great coaches skill and legacy is not measured by a popularity contest. Its measured in SB wins.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:13 PM
TY Kris Dielman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDchargersONLY View Post
this is just a thread perfect for arguments and complaining.
Isn't that pretty much any thread, though?
Old 04-12-2012, 02:38 PM
He's Alive, Jim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolted View Post
C'mon.... why bring up a topic like this again. Everyone should already know. Not hatin... but there's better things to talk about.
Welcome to the CMB, good sir.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:49 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE KING View Post
So you're saying the Chargers should bring in a coach the players don't like? Or are you just trying to support your line of thinking?
I've no doubt the players could grow to like another coach extremely quickly.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcRugby View Post
You stated that what did we expect - for the players to throw Norv under the bus? I simply stated that the players didn't need to throw him under the bus - all they had to do was keep quiet or speak in stereotypical player cliche talk.

If the players wanted Norv to be gone, all they had to do was not lobby for his return. Lobbying for his return is exactly what happened - and PR not only lobbied the owner, he also lobbied through the media:

You can listen to PR right here:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...t-norv-turner/

Right or wrong, agree or disagree with their thought process, the players wanted Norv back. That's a fact.
truth...

Dean did his homework and looked at all the options. When things settled he was faced with the status quo, or taking a gamble with a no-name HC (or upstart). Bottom line is that he saw that this is an issue and very methodically went to understand it and do his best (given the available options) to improve.

He went back and analyzed the cause of the failures and attributed a lot of them to injury. Obviously, he had doubts about the HC (and GM) situation as he looked at replacing them.

In his research, he found that Norv had not "lost the locker room" and that the players felt that their own performances or outside factors (injuries) were the main cause of their poor showing. Some consideration must be given to Manusky last season also.

Given that there were no options, and that overall Norv's record is positive, he kept the status quo. If you think that we were 1 game (or big play, or TONS of INJURIES) short of the Post Season in the last 2 seasons, you can convince yourself that Norv's only missed the playoffs once - kinda. Basically it came down to hoping that bad luck and motivation can be overcome and that the alternative represented a potential step backward.

It's funny how many of the "old guard" are gone (MM, Dielman, VJ, Tolbert, Gregory, Cooper, etc) and that the list of starters for this year is primarily comprised of players in the final year of their contract, players looking for redemption, or young players looking to make a name for themselves.

Last edited by LABoltsFan; 04-12-2012 at 02:55 PM..
Old 04-12-2012, 03:54 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltar View Post
Lets assume the players genuingly wanted Norv/AJ back. Does that make the decision correct or more correct? Do employees (or fans) always know whats best for the company?

According to your argument then you and the fans have even less to say then the players. Who makes the decision?

You think your company did well because you didn't like your boss.

It is obvious you made your decision and will hold on to it even when presented evidence that lead to another direction.
Closed Thread