Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Line of Demarcation to Fire Norv Turner
Below .500, miss playoffs 59 0.27%
.500 or above, miss playoffs 89 0.40%
Make playoffs, go 0-1 in WC round 29 0.13%
Make playoffs, go 0-1 in Div. round 17 0.08%
Make playoffs, go 1-1 with loss in Div. round 11 0.05%
Lose in AFCCG 16 0.07%
Lose in SB 7 0.03%
Win SB 16 0.07%
Fire him now, season be damned! 171 0.77%
Never fire Norv, he's cuddly 21,663 98.12%
Voters: 22078. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #15991  
Old 04-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Bolted's Avatar
Bolted Bolted is online now
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Jose
Posts: 887
Default

C'mon.... why bring up a topic like this again. Everyone should already know. Not hatin... but there's better things to talk about.
__________________
"We have a tough gritty bunch." -
  #15992  
Old 04-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Boltar
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Lets assume the players genuingly wanted Norv/AJ back. Does that make the decision correct or more correct? Do employees (or fans) always know whats best for the company?

I once had a boss who I did not like. In fact, I couldnt stand him. But boy did the company grow and I made alot of money.

At this point we must agree to disagree.
  #15993  
Old 04-12-2012, 02:02 PM
JOE KING's Avatar
JOE KING JOE KING is offline
@iamjoeking
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Maui
Posts: 12,555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltar View Post
Lets assume the players genuingly wanted Norv/AJ back. Does that make the decision correct or more correct? Do employees always know whats best for the company?

I once had a boss who I did not like. In fact, I couldnt stand him. But boy did the company grow and I made alot of money.

At this point we must agree to disagree.
So you're saying the Chargers should bring in a coach the players don't like? Or are you just trying to support your line of thinking?
__________________
  #15994  
Old 04-12-2012, 02:06 PM
SDchargersONLY's Avatar
SDchargersONLY SDchargersONLY is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 996
Default

this is just a thread perfect for arguments and complaining.
__________________
McAlwaysright
  #15995  
Old 04-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Boltar
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

No, I beleive its IS important to "like" your coaches. Its not as important as respect, motivational and leadership skills.

Belicheck is a notorious jerk and not even close to being a nice guy, but a shoe in HOF coach with results.

A great coaches skill and legacy is not measured by a popularity contest. Its measured in SB wins.
  #15996  
Old 04-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Thunderstruck's Avatar
Thunderstruck Thunderstruck is offline
TY Kris Dielman
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Lakeside
Posts: 12,732
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDchargersONLY View Post
this is just a thread perfect for arguments and complaining.
Isn't that pretty much any thread, though?
__________________
GO BOLTS!!
  #15997  
Old 04-12-2012, 02:38 PM
The Stig's Avatar
The Stig The Stig is offline
He's Alive, Jim.
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 3,236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolted View Post
C'mon.... why bring up a topic like this again. Everyone should already know. Not hatin... but there's better things to talk about.
Welcome to the CMB, good sir.
  #15998  
Old 04-12-2012, 02:49 PM
starry starry is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London
Posts: 5,059
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE KING View Post
So you're saying the Chargers should bring in a coach the players don't like? Or are you just trying to support your line of thinking?
I've no doubt the players could grow to like another coach extremely quickly.
  #15999  
Old 04-12-2012, 02:52 PM
LABoltsFan LABoltsFan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 12,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcRugby View Post
You stated that what did we expect - for the players to throw Norv under the bus? I simply stated that the players didn't need to throw him under the bus - all they had to do was keep quiet or speak in stereotypical player cliche talk.

If the players wanted Norv to be gone, all they had to do was not lobby for his return. Lobbying for his return is exactly what happened - and PR not only lobbied the owner, he also lobbied through the media:



You can listen to PR right here:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...t-norv-turner/

Right or wrong, agree or disagree with their thought process, the players wanted Norv back. That's a fact.
truth...

Dean did his homework and looked at all the options. When things settled he was faced with the status quo, or taking a gamble with a no-name HC (or upstart). Bottom line is that he saw that this is an issue and very methodically went to understand it and do his best (given the available options) to improve.

He went back and analyzed the cause of the failures and attributed a lot of them to injury. Obviously, he had doubts about the HC (and GM) situation as he looked at replacing them.

In his research, he found that Norv had not "lost the locker room" and that the players felt that their own performances or outside factors (injuries) were the main cause of their poor showing. Some consideration must be given to Manusky last season also.

Given that there were no options, and that overall Norv's record is positive, he kept the status quo. If you think that we were 1 game (or big play, or TONS of INJURIES) short of the Post Season in the last 2 seasons, you can convince yourself that Norv's only missed the playoffs once - kinda. Basically it came down to hoping that bad luck and motivation can be overcome and that the alternative represented a potential step backward.

It's funny how many of the "old guard" are gone (MM, Dielman, VJ, Tolbert, Gregory, Cooper, etc) and that the list of starters for this year is primarily comprised of players in the final year of their contract, players looking for redemption, or young players looking to make a name for themselves.

Last edited by LABoltsFan; 04-12-2012 at 02:55 PM..
  #16000  
Old 04-12-2012, 03:54 PM
Sundiego's Avatar
Sundiego Sundiego is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 7,230
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltar View Post
Lets assume the players genuingly wanted Norv/AJ back. Does that make the decision correct or more correct? Do employees (or fans) always know whats best for the company?

I once had a boss who I did not like. In fact, I couldnt stand him. But boy did the company grow and I made alot of money.

At this point we must agree to disagree.
According to your argument then you and the fans have even less to say then the players. Who makes the decision?

You think your company did well because you didn't like your boss.

It is obvious you made your decision and will hold on to it even when presented evidence that lead to another direction.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:29 PM.


© 2014 San Diego Chargers. All Rights Reserved.