Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2012, 09:26 AM
Hall of Famer

Hester is one of those guys that just keeps plugging away. I think he's an okay back. But I would be looking to upgrade the position like every position on the team.

Hester is good Lorenzo Neal was great. Now if we can find a guy that can play that position and block and catch passes... wow
Old 01-27-2012, 09:29 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oside89 View Post
Hester is one of those guys that just keeps plugging away. I think he's an okay back. But I would be looking to upgrade the position like every position on the team.

Hester is good Lorenzo Neal was great. Now if we can find a guy that can play that position and block and catch passes... wow

What does Hester do to make you say he is good??? Cause I don't see it and I try to watch every Charger game? Hester and Neal don't even belong in the same book, paragraph or sentence.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:51 AM
Hall of Famer

IMO Hester's fine. His blocking has improved, he usually picks up the 3rd and short 1st downs, he's a pretty good receiver out of the backfield (certainly better than Neal) and he's good on special teams.

He's not great, but he's pretty good. Whether he's worth what he asks for remains to be seen. I think its a question of value, not ability.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:38 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigpimpc View Post
Not a personal attack on him or anything but can someone please explain Hester's role and his importance and why he is the best in the league at what he does.

Hester is 100% a gamer attitude thats for sure.
He may be the most versatile FB in the league. His lead blocks aren't pancakes but are more often than not effective. His pass protection is superior. His short yardage carries are reliable. He catches the ball well. Ball protection is very good. Playmaker on special teams.
Good to very good FB at all trades, best in NFL at none.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:43 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBlack310 View Post
What does Hester do to make you say he is good??? Cause I don't see it and I try to watch every Charger game? Hester and Neal don't even belong in the same book, paragraph or sentence.
Hester is better than Neal ever was catching the ball, carrying the ball downfield and on special teams.
Neal was one of the most dominant lead blockers ever.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:25 PM
Let the Rivers flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBlack310 View Post

He is good at fumbling the ball and then standing there while the other team picks it up and returns it almost for a touchdown!

Old 01-27-2012, 12:27 PM
Let the Rivers flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorajim View Post
He may be the most versatile FB in the league. His lead blocks aren't pancakes but are more often than not effective. His pass protection is superior. His short yardage carries are reliable. He catches the ball well. Ball protection is very good. Playmaker on special teams.
Good to very good FB at all trades, best in NFL at none.

Are you watching the same game? his pass blocking is above average, is run blocking is below average, he has mediocre speed and has above average hands. He dropped quite a few passes this year. This all adds up to him being a mediocre FB.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:25 AM
Hall of Famer

In his early years Hester was a very good STs player. His play has declined on STs because he was forced to add weight to play FB. He's significantly slower now than he was his first couple of years.

That loss of speed hurt his receiving and running. His weight gain gave him marginal improvement as a FB. Let him lose those 15 lbs and regain his speed then he will probably be better on STs and as a #3RB.

He was faster than Tolbert when they both joined the Chargers. He at least could get outside back then. He would have been overall a much better backup RB than Tolbert.

His blocks are mostly cut blocks which if the bigger defender sees him coming can avoid. When he can't cut he tries to imede the defender. He can't clear a hole for Mathews, as he simply can't matchup to LBs.

Either allow him to lose weight and return to being a RB or let him go. They need better play at FB and that means a bigger guy.

People have wondered why I keep coming back to Brad Taylor as an Hback. It's the position he played at Baylor so he knows how to block.
Quote:
Taylor, a converted QB to TE, did 14 bench-press reps, and also ran a 4.59 40, ... - Gil Brandt, NFL.com
Used strictly as a hback blocker and receiver. Showed decent hands, and a willing blocker. At 6'3", 240 lbs he is the size of a typical TE and matches up well to LBs. He has very good speed to get into routes and down field. Fast enough to keep up with RBs.

He's been on the PS all last season. Now if he's re-signed and with a full offseason of OTAs, TC and preseason he should be ready to play. So when I keep saying they should go to an Hback instead of a tradtional FB its because they already had one on the team.

There is a reason I have highlighted Taylor's speed. It's a flaw in Hesters game as a FB that was apparent before the draft. Here's a sample of the reveiws on Hester before he was drafted. Notice how very accurate it is.
Quote:
Has only adequate shoulder width and lacks the ideal bulk you look for in a pro fullback … Arms are shorter than ideal (29 3/4-inch length), but he does have large hands to properly secure and protect the ball … Lacks the second gear and suddenness out of his stance to be anything more than a north-south runner … Struggles to widen the rush lane when serving as a lead blocker in tight areas (better blocking on the edge) … Does not have the speed to quickly get out and neutralize second-level defenders
Too many times Mathews has to slow and wait for Hester to get out there and make the block. When Hester was drafted his times were 4.5-4.6 which is very good for a FB. But he was 12-15 lbs lighter then. He's probably running a 4.7-4.8 now because he can't outrun LBs.

As a former QB Brad will bring back the half back pass to the offense. LOL
Old 01-28-2012, 03:06 AM
All-Pro

Luke Walton comes to mind.

doesn't do anything great move on.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:51 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorajim View Post
Hester is better than Neal ever was catching the ball, carrying the ball downfield and on special teams.
Neal was one of the most dominant lead blockers ever.
He was better then Neal at carrying the ball are you serious???? I guess everyone has an opinion.