Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > AFC West
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2012, 02:13 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Default I'll post the contract numbers in this closed thread ...

Andrew Brandt breaks down the Manning contract:

Quote:
Year One

Manning will make $18 million -- his jersey number -- regardless of injury. Simple.

Years Two and Three: The physical and the waiver

Not so simple. Manning will undergo what is termed a “postseason physical” 10 days before the start of the 2013 League Year, sometime in late February or early March. In the event Manning passes that physical, he will activate a $40 million guarantee, paid out as $20 million salaries in both 2013 and 2014.

The Broncos will have further protection with an injury waiver to Manning’s neck for these two years. In the event Manning suffers an injury that is related to his C-6/C-7 cervical spine fusion “and related pathologies,” the Broncos will be able to reduce the guarantee for the following year. For example, were Manning to suffer an injury in Week 10 of 2013 related to his neck injury, the Broncos would pay the rest of the 2013 salary, but not be on the hook for 2014.

The waiver gives the Broncos protection on one “body part” of Manning; the key body part of the transaction, his surgically repaired neck.

Years Four and Five: Annual physicals and guarantee

Manning is scheduled to make $19 million in both 2015 and 2016. The amount becomes guaranteed when Manning passes his physical prior to the start of each League Year. This is similar to the guarantee above, although on a year-to-year basis rather than the two-year guarantee of 2013-2014.

Of course, the Broncos can release Manning prior to that physical in either year and avoid any future liability.

For the full post: http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/41745/brandt-assessing-peyton-manning%e2%80%99s-deal

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:01 PM
I am Cap'n Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcRugby View Post
There you go labeling a rookie a bust.

You can join the bench with those calling Ryan Mathews a bust at the same juncture of his career while playing a position that is much much easier making the transition from college to the NFL, especially when playing quarterback lacking an offensive line and WRs.

Gabbert has a potential future as a quarterback, Tebow doesn't. In a trade, Gabbert has more value.

If your goal is to sell tickets and jerseys as a football owner, then Tebow undeniably has more value.
That is a ridiculous statement... Who is calling who a bust again!? Tebow won consecutive games and a playoff game as a young starter. What has Gabbert done again?

They both have potential... Tebow>Gabbert anyday of the week IMO...

Old 03-20-2012, 03:12 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFboltfan View Post
That is a ridiculous statement... Who is calling who a bust again!? Tebow won consecutive games and a playoff game as a young starter. What has Gabbert done again?

They both have potential... Tebow>Gabbert anyday of the week IMO...
It's not a ridiculous statement.

Tebow isn't a bust as a football player - he's a darn good football player. He's not a long-term quarterback in the NFL because he's viewed as being incapable of playing anything outside of a gadget college offense that's about to go Wildcat 2010.

Just watch the lukewarm leaguewide interest in the guy "who won consecutive games and a playoff game as a young starter".

If NFL franchises viewed him as being a long-term answer as a franchise QB, teams would be crawling all over each other to acquire him. That ain't happening.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.

Last edited by JoeMcRugby; 03-20-2012 at 03:22 PM..
Old 03-20-2012, 03:16 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3con View Post
Hey BGC long time no see/talk. I have to agree with you here. If Jax doesn't make a move at Tebow I will be dumbfounded. It would be the equivalent of career suicide. Tebow in Florida is like Kim Jong-Il in Korea. Considering Jax is PAYING people to sit in the stands to promote ticket sales, I think that bringing him there is pretty much their only chance at saving the organization. They have a horrendous market and are going down fast. Jersey/Memorabilia sales are in the cellar, and Tebow jerseys would fly off the shelves.

I think Miami might be out of the running now that they signed Gerrard, but for the chance at Tebow, you never know.
one of my favorite charger posters...whats up man....

i agree, i think Jax is the fav for landing Tebow...
Old 03-20-2012, 03:23 PM
Travellin' Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosgc View Post
Tebow in Jax would be HUGE... i live in Florida, trust me on this... its crazy out here when it comes to Tebow...
Hey neighbor! Maybe we should get together for those 2 games. I wouldn't mind making fun of somebody in a public place

What part of town do you call your green pasture?
Old 03-20-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Due solely to the mass chaos of apocolyptic proportions that will arise from such a move, I'm really hoping that Tebow gets traded to the Jets!!!

Get'cha popcorn ready!!!
Albert Breer@AlbertBreer
And here ... we ... go RT @TheJetsStream Just heard from source inside the Jets' organization -- "We are players in the Tebow race."
Old 03-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WootMonkey View Post
Albert Breer@AlbertBreer
And here ... we ... go RT @TheJetsStream Just heard from source inside the Jets' organization -- "We are players in the Tebow race."
Radio station up here in the Bay Area are saying the 49ers have inquired about Tebow as well. This while Harbaugh is trying to patch up the Smith situation.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Default If only ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WootMonkey View Post
Albert Breer@AlbertBreer
Sanchez - Tebow - Rexy - ScareCro - Santonio - The Big Apple ... !!!

In the immortal words of San Diegan Dick Enberg:

"Oh my!!!"

Old 03-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
It's not a ridiculous statement.

Tebow isn't a bust as a football player - he's a darn good football player. He's not a long-term quarterback in the NFL because he's viewed as being incapable of playing anything outside of a gadget college offense that's about to go Wildcat 2010.

Just watch the lukewarm leaguewide interest in the guy "who won consecutive games and a playoff game as a young starter".

If NFL franchises viewed him as being a long-term answer as a franchise QB, teams would be crawling all over each other to acquire him. That ain't happening.
it IS a ridiculous statement...

the argument isnt whether Tebow is a legitmate future starter. The argument is Tebow vs Gabbert...

and right now Tebow clearly wins...

if Tebow generates, as u call it, lukewarm interest, then Gabbert's interest would be freezing cold...
Old 03-20-2012, 03:46 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightsOutLVI View Post
Hey neighbor! Maybe we should get together for those 2 games. I wouldn't mind making fun of somebody in a public place

What part of town do you call your green pasture?
lol, i never noticed you live in Tampa...

i live in New Tampa...

where are you?...