Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Around the NFL
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2012, 10:35 AM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al "T.D." Bundy View Post
So, what are the "terms"?

We can't really say what is and isn't allowable until that information is known.
We can speculate with a very educated guess on a message board - and I don't think it will turn out to be rocket science for the NFL in issuing the terms.

It must have a comparable effect to a player's suspension or the NFLPA will be screaming bloody murder. The big question will be whether it starts in April (i.e., the draft), the offseason and training camp, or if it doesn't start until September.

Once it starts: For a GM, no contact with the team and its operations until the suspension is over. Violate those terms, you get the Williams treatment.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:35 AM
Yes indeed

Quote:
I agree that Loomis would be stupid to do anything that could violate the terms. But without knowing the precise terms, it's speculation.

Obviously we can assume no presence at the facility. No contact with anyone from the team? But how is that monitored?
lol Of course it's speculation, none of us work in the NFL offices or anything.

But you act like this might be the first time the NFL's ever said an employee couldn't contact anyone from their team during a suspension (if those are the terms). They probably know what they're doing when they hand out these suspensions.

The Right Side of the Rivalry

Old 03-21-2012, 10:38 AM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
I agree that Loomis would be stupid to do anything that could violate the terms. But without knowing the precise terms, it's speculation.

Obviously we can assume no presence at the facility. No contact with anyone from the team? But how is that monitored?
They obviously can't have phone taps or any covert surveillance that violates the law.

It would be enforced through the threat that anybody turning over evidence to the NFL about contact with the team will open the door for a Williams suspension.

Goodell can't be seen as going easy on monitoring front office suspensions while players get suspended for alleged criminal acts that don't result in convictions.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:39 AM
Hall of Famer

I don't know if I agree with suspending him for an entire season. Especially when Belichick did not even get suspended at all.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Veteran

Default Sean Payton suspended one year

Just read New Orleans head coach Sean Payton suspended for a year. Did the Chargers have a bounty system in place so that Norv can be gone for a year? (probably not, the Chargers D didn't hit anyone last year.....too bad)
Old 03-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Boo first. Think later.

They should've done this to Belichick for cheating.

"I like to turn the offense into a defense. I want them to worry about what we're gonna do. I want them to try to defend us." -Junior Seau

"Where as I was not incorrect, they did not mean what I thought they had meant." -Charlie Sanders

Old 03-21-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper300zx View Post
They should've done this to Belichick for cheating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcfan720 View Post
I don't know if I agree with suspending him for an entire season. Especially when Belichick did not even get suspended at all.
What the Saints did was worse. Whose career did BB threaten again?

Also BB wasn't caught and told to stop by the league then kept going anyways. The two situations are different, people have an irrational hatred for the Pats here.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:42 AM
Unofficial CMB Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcRugby View Post
We can speculate with a very educated guess on a message board - and I don't think it will turn out to be rocket science for the NFL in issuing the terms.

It must have a comparable effect to a player's suspension or the NFLPA will be screaming bloody murder. The big question will be whether it starts in April (i.e., the draft), the offseason and training camp, or if it doesn't start until September.

Once it starts: For a GM, no contact with the team and its operations until the suspension is over. Violate those terms, you get the Williams treatment.
I can't see how a GM's suspension can be in any way comparable to a Players (or a coaches) suspension. Loomis can be in Timbuktu on game day, and it wouldn't affect the outcome of the game.

Seriously, unless you put the guy on an enhanced house arrest, you can't stop him from watching games, doing research, etc.

You are right though, with the big factor being when it takes effect. Based on the verbiage of "8 games" my initial guess was it starts in September. If that is the case, the bulk of his work is done for the year(as I understand things). Making it effective April 1st would of course have a much bigger effect. If that were the case though, I figured it would have been reported in # of months, not games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moekid View Post
I have a short memory.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:44 AM

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefterSean Payton's year-long suspension means lost salary for one year. Payton's out about $7 million.

Snap.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:44 AM
Hall of Famer

Ouch time for all the teams to batten down the hatches. Goodell is on the war path. The NFL came down hard to cover their own butts. This goes on all over the place and it looks like they didnt look very hard.