Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Around the NFL
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2012, 11:30 AM
Boo first. Think later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al "T.D." Bundy View Post
I agree. Pats got off easy compared to this.

I think the rationale is that one of Goddell's primary focuses is PLAYER SAFETY. The cheating was a BIG DEAL but wasn't centered on intentionally trying to injure another player.
Yeah -- I'm not of the mind the Pats should've been hit with the same penalty -- but there should've been a suspension -- AT LEAST Belichick, and probably more.

All the cheaters still get to keep their rings and trophies, and also they made a whole crap load of money more than they were fined (not only when they won, but residuals from a more dedicated fan base). Endorsement money, advertising, etc.

The money fines are just about meaningless unless you are bankrupting people.

Peyton's suspension is a year WITHOUT pay -- that's more serious, but mostly because of the suspension.

When USC broke NON-INJURY rules, they took away a lot more. It was a better statement -- but even then, the school benefited a ton from cheating.

You can't undo the cheating. We can't go back and give some other team the chance to win the SuperBowl during the years the Niners, Donks, Pats, and Saints cheated -- they have cheated the entire NFL fanbase. So the penalty better damn well be serious.

This will probably not stop cheating/not following rules -- but at least as a fan I feel a little more secure in thinking the league is trying to curb it. What was done in the prior cases made me feel the league was ok with it. I felt that way when it happened, and still to this day.

This time it feels real.

"I like to turn the offense into a defense. I want them to worry about what we're gonna do. I want them to try to defend us." -Junior Seau

"Where as I was not incorrect, they did not mean what I thought they had meant." -Charlie Sanders

Old 03-21-2012, 11:34 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by abernardojr View Post
Argh the NO forum I was reading is down lol
OMG Goodell suspended the Saints Forums too??!? Harsh!
Old 03-21-2012, 11:34 AM
Veteran

If Tom Benson had any guts, he'd fire both right now, with cause. That would send a clear signal to any others doing this.

Sound is my enemy .... Closed Captioning is my friend.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:36 AM

Albert Breer@AlbertBreer
RT @drewbrees: I am speechless. Sean Payton is a great man, coach, and mentor. The best there is. I need to hear an explanation for this.

Wonder if Drew would think differently if he found out the Bronco who landed on his shoulder got paid for it.
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
If Tom Benson had any guts, he'd fire both right now, with cause. That would send a clear signal to any others doing this.
Agreed whole heartedly. I was just discussing this re: Williams with my good buddy who's a Rams fan. The Rams should absolutely fire Williams for cause immediately as well, and attempt to void his new contract entirely...
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABoltsFan View Post
re: Payton...
We'll see how it settles after an appeal.
For a coach, doesn't the appeal still go to Goodell? The new CBA changed the players' appeal rights, but I don't believe it has any effect at all on coaches.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper300zx View Post
Yeah -- I'm not of the mind the Pats should've been hit with the same penalty -- but there should've been a suspension -- AT LEAST Belichick, and probably more.

All the cheaters still get to keep their rings and trophies, and also they made a whole crap load of money more than they were fined (not only when they won, but residuals from a more dedicated fan base). Endorsement money, advertising, etc.

The money fines are just about meaningless unless you are bankrupting people.

Peyton's suspension is a year WITHOUT pay -- that's more serious, but mostly because of the suspension.

When USC broke NON-INJURY rules, they took away a lot more. It was a better statement -- but even then, the school benefited a ton from cheating.

You can't undo the cheating. We can't go back and give some other team the chance to win the SuperBowl during the years the Niners, Donks, Pats, and Saints cheated -- they have cheated the entire NFL fanbase. So the penalty better damn well be serious.

This will probably not stop cheating/not following rules -- but at least as a fan I feel a little more secure in thinking the league is trying to curb it. What was done in the prior cases made me feel the league was ok with it. I felt that way when it happened, and still to this day.

This time it feels real.
the Pats got off easy, it was years ago now. Maybe we can go back to debating Brees and Rivers or Norv and Marty...or we can move on to 2012
Old 03-21-2012, 11:38 AM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by meromerosd View Post
Bwahahahahaha.... I'm calling it, Drew does not sign, and the saints go back to the cellar.
Brees sits out the 2012 season - and can be franchise tagged again in 2013???

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:39 AM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by WootMonkey View Post
the Pats got off easy, it was years ago now. Maybe we can go back to debating Brees and Rivers or Norv and Marty...or we can move on to 2012
That would be the death of the CMB as we know it.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:45 AM
Shock and Awe

Personally I think this is nothing more than a power move by Goodell.

His "safety" programs have been met with severe criticism from the fan base (including myself) for being too far reaching and poorly implemented. In order to silence opposition he is sending a clear message in order to scare people into not questioning his authority.

About the only thing he has right is heightened awareness for concussions and testing.

Btw I hate Roger Goodell with a passion.
3. DaQuan Jones - DT - Penn State
4. Dakota Dozier - OG - Furman
5. Devin Street - WR - Pittsburgh
6. Kenny Ladler - DB - Vanderbilt
7. Spencer Shuey - 34ILB - Clemson