Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2013, 01:31 PM
Boo first. Think later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dystar View Post
Fix? No.

Make controversial calls and protect their golden boys (Manning and Brady).. Yes

It would take too much work to fix the outcome of the game.

However, refs have thrown very iffy flags before, at key moments of the game (for any team) [...]
Agree with the above.

Bad calls CAN and HAVE directed the outcome of some games, but I would chalk it up to bias and/or human error, not a deliberate attempt to affect the game.

That said, our luck in games has generally hurt us, and our 'make up calls' seem to come when we least need them. We're cursed for sure :P

"I like to turn the offense into a defense. I want them to worry about what we're gonna do. I want them to try to defend us." -Junior Seau

"Where as I was not incorrect, they did not mean what I thought they had meant." -Charlie Sanders

Old 10-21-2013, 01:38 PM
Inez Sainz = Jet Bait!

Spartacus anyone? Those Damn Romans....
Old 10-21-2013, 01:43 PM
Hall of Famer

I think the NFL manipulates games. Gives teams advantages. Furthers storylines, follows the money. I think refs have affected games purposefully as well, just like the NBA.

The fix is in guy though is a little over the top. When you can come up with a reason for why team x won as some sort of sinister plot, you shouldnt be able to backtrack. I think it was the 2nd pats giants superbowl where he said his sources were telling him that the money was heavy on the giants so the pats were going to win, BUT that the giants had put on their website prior to the game that they were superbowl champs before the game started indicating the fix was in for the giants...but if the pats won it was because Kraft had brokered the deal to end the lockout and was being rewarded and it was a feel good story because he lost his wife, but if the pats lost it was because they were still being punished for spygate. In other words, he had nothing and was just acting the role of the crackpot.

-Mario Lopez
Old 10-21-2013, 02:17 PM
Boo first. Think later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marion butts View Post
I think the NFL manipulates games. Gives teams advantages. Furthers storylines, follows the money. I think refs have affected games purposefully as well, just like the NBA.

The fix is in guy though is a little over the top. When you can come up with a reason for why team x won as some sort of sinister plot, you shouldnt be able to backtrack. I think it was the 2nd pats giants superbowl where he said his sources were telling him that the money was heavy on the giants so the pats were going to win, BUT that the giants had put on their website prior to the game that they were superbowl champs before the game started indicating the fix was in for the giants...but if the pats won it was because Kraft had brokered the deal to end the lockout and was being rewarded and it was a feel good story because he lost his wife, but if the pats lost it was because they were still being punished for spygate. In other words, he had nothing and was just acting the role of the crackpot.
Has there ever been a conspiracy story like in the NBA that actually came to light, though? Not that this means it can't exist, but the NBA actually had factual accounts of fixing games. And even then, it wasn't enough to overcome something like a blowout (but close games, yes). The NFL is certainly more prone to the problem -- the games are almost all close enough that one bad call could help alter the outcome.

Anyway -- for sure there has been bias. Still don't think anyone out there has been paid off or improperly influenced to ruin a game within the NFL itself.

"I like to turn the offense into a defense. I want them to worry about what we're gonna do. I want them to try to defend us." -Junior Seau

"Where as I was not incorrect, they did not mean what I thought they had meant." -Charlie Sanders

Old 10-21-2013, 02:19 PM
Rookie

It is not just one huge unit of people working together, there are hundreds of players, lots of coaches, refs, behind the scenes people, there is no way it is fixed like WWF. The football is real, the players play their hearts out.

Refs are the only people who sometimes can be questioned, but even then, you don't know if it is the NFL, or if it is a ref that was paid by someone outside of the NFL, or if the ref just made a bad call.

To think that everyone is in cahoots and none of the games are real is a bit too conspiracy to be believable.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:21 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMelvin View Post
Definitely. The Saints game last year is the perfect example.
This is exactly what comes to mind for me as well. The last drive when we were driving proves it all. Not to mention everyone wanted the Brady vs. Manning AFCCG back in 2007 play-offs where we put the lights out in Indy's stadium.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:22 PM
Fatherly advice

Meachem dropping that pass last year....the fix was in
Old 10-21-2013, 02:24 PM
All-Pro

No way the NFL fixes games...no need to. #1 spectator sport, huge TV contracts and storylines that can exist around any team.

An individual ref trying to affect the outcome or points of a game? Always possible when dealing with humans, but much different than the NBA scandal. A lot of refs/umps, replays, etc.

"If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will"
Old 10-21-2013, 02:47 PM
Hall of Famer

That call never would have been made against the Pats yesterday before the team fell out of NFL offices favor for having a murderer on the squad
Old 10-21-2013, 02:55 PM
Paradise is on the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadheadman View Post
No way the NFL fixes games...no need to. #1 spectator sport, huge TV contracts and storylines that can exist around any team.

An individual ref trying to affect the outcome or points of a game? Always possible when dealing with humans, but much different than the NBA scandal. A lot of refs/umps, replays, etc.
There are far too many opportunities for a ref to make a call that coaches are not allowed to challenge that affect the game's outcome or final score, and thus the point spread...just like the ref in the NBA did. In yesterday's Jets/Pats game the Pats did exactly the very same thing earlier in the game and it didn't get called. Why then? I'm not saying the wrong call was made then, just...why then, and not earlier? That was a spot that 15 yards was almost assured of affecting the outcome of the game.