Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2012, 07:55 AM
Daniel Lee Jesus

Default Chandler Jones?

Kiper piqued my interest mocking him to us at 18. I am certainly not sold or starting a bandwagon, but I am intrigued. Certainly looks the part and flashes on occasion. Here are the two decent youtube videos (not highlights):

His combine results:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...nes?id=2533538

And his college statistics:

http://www.cfbstats.com/2011/player/...s/gamelog.html

And nfldraftscout's take:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1695530

Anyhow, I am looking for peoples' takes (looking at you RMAN, Pacstud, T4, JH, SDF, Shock, Champgeorge, Boltjolt...). What do you see on the tape and what do you think of Kiper's projection. I am trying to form an opinion while ignoring the fact that most media draft boards have him ranked significantly lower than 18.

Note: I realize that a conversation went on with him a couple mos back, but I didn't get really involved. If you're not into rehashing this prospect, then no worries.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:34 AM
Hey Dean, Happy now?

Kiper has been hyping him for a while. Nick Perry is the sounder pick in the first.

Chandler definitely has the measurables of a rush OLB but to reach him with the 18th pick?
If the Chargers go offensive line, safety or DL in the first Jones would be an ideal 2nd round if he falls that far IMO. But even then you've got guys like Vinny Curry or Bruce Irvin that may be available.

Last edited by mortalWombat; 04-08-2012 at 08:42 AM..
Old 04-08-2012, 09:50 AM
Rookie

He looks like an interesting prospect but not at 18. We need a contributor next year and I don't see that happening with him for a few years.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:31 AM
Hall of Famer

I like his hustle. Made plays downfield. Has good size and sheds blocks decently. I like him better than Ingram. I can say that much and he has good measurables at the combine. Only one that wasnt great was his 40 time but he has good explosion numbers otherwise.

Dont think id draft him at #18 but then ive read that the giants have big interest in him. Why they need another DE, i dont know but thats what i read. Then again they dont pick til #32. I dont know, depends on who is on the board.

You know i have stated that i havent seen many games this year that i normally would so i cant compare him to many other than Ingram. I'd have to look at all their tapes but we are talking about a couple of 5 to 7 minute youtube vids.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:31 AM
He's Alive, Jim.

This is actually the first time I've watched tape of him. He's clearly a disruptive force. Those two games look better to me from a rusher point of view than the Mercilus and Perry tapes out there. Maybe Kiper wasn't trolling us as much as I thought he was...and man Syracuse uses some weird defensive fronts!
Old 04-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Hall of Famer

I'd like to have him, but maybe in the 3rd round. As stated by one guy in this thread, he has decent measurables on him. I see him as a nice contributor like Jacques Cesaire in a backup role. Maybe he could train a bit with his brother Jon "Bones" Jones in a bit of wrestling in the aspect of getting low as a lineman and practicing a bit of grappling to work on some hand technique.

On a sidenote, if he doesn't play for the Chargers, I'd like to see him play for either the Nets or Giants, since I have respect for both teams, and that it's Chandler's home state. If he becomes well known as a big time contributor, he'd be well-known like his brother Jon.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Hall of Famer

Hey this is Jon Bone Jones younger brother!

Any how, this kid looks impressive. He has a relentless motor, some pass rushing hand moves, and impressive bull rushing strength.

In this highlight he reminds me of a younger and more relentless version of Shaun Phillips.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:51 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anwar View Post
I'd like to have him, but maybe in the 3rd round. As stated by one guy in this thread, he has decent measurables on him. I see him as a nice contributor like Jacques Cesaire in a backup role. Maybe he could train a bit with his brother Jon "Bones" Jones in a bit of wrestling in the aspect of getting low as a lineman and practicing a bit of grappling to work on some hand technique.

On a sidenote, if he doesn't play for the Chargers, I'd like to see him play for either the Nets or Giants, since I have respect for both teams, and that it's Chandler's home state. If he becomes well known as a big time contributor, he'd be well-known like his brother Jon.
Haha you beat me to it. He looks like a good prospect. Definitely worth looking into if in the 3 to 4 rounds if he last that far... But I doubt it.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:52 PM
Daniel Lee Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltjolt View Post
I like his hustle. Made plays downfield. Has good size and sheds blocks decently. I like him better than Ingram. I can say that much and he has good measurables at the combine. Only one that wasnt great was his 40 time but he has good explosion numbers otherwise.

Dont think id draft him at #18 but then ive read that the giants have big interest in him. Why they need another DE, i dont know but thats what i read. Then again they dont pick til #32. I dont know, depends on who is on the board.

You know i have stated that i havent seen many games this year that i normally would so i cant compare him to many other than Ingram. I'd have to look at all their tapes but we are talking about a couple of 5 to 7 minute youtube vids.
He's got really long arms... terrific wing span. He looks stronger and more explosive to me than Mercilus and has better bend around the edge than Perry. Every once in a while he flashes that coveted rush around the arc that characterizes the NFL's best and most consistent pass rushers.

He had a really good end to his college career, and I'm wondering what his stock would look like with the media is he hadn't missed weeks 2-6. If you're project his numbers, he would have had about 14 TFL and 9 sacks (I realize that sort of projection isn't a valid argument... just contemplating).

Perhaps his missed time has pushed a first round talent under the radar.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:52 PM
RIP Seau

I don't know. I thought his brother, Arthur Jones was a better player coming out and he is a back up currently but he may start for the Ravens down the road. I think Chandler Jones will be a good back up, maybe even a starter but not a dominant player.