Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2012, 01:01 PM
The snoring Giant...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
266 at the combine.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profil...nes?id=2533538

?
3rd) Le'Veon Bell, RB Mich St
4th) AJ Klein, ILB Iowa St
5th) Brandon McGee, CB Miami
6th) Joseph Fauria, TE UCLA
7th) Ray Ray Armstrong, SS Miami
Old 04-13-2012, 01:19 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfn909 View Post
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...nes?id=2533538

Lol. That's weird. I can vouch for the 266 figure though. I've seen it several places and heard scouts talk about that number. Never seen 247 before. Not sure where that came from.

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 04-13-2012, 01:23 PM
The snoring Giant...

Quote:

Lol. That's weird. I can vouch for the 266 figure though. I've seen it several places and heard scouts talk about that number. Never seen 247 before. Not sure where that came from.
wow that is weird!
3rd) Le'Veon Bell, RB Mich St
4th) AJ Klein, ILB Iowa St
5th) Brandon McGee, CB Miami
6th) Joseph Fauria, TE UCLA
7th) Ray Ray Armstrong, SS Miami
Old 04-13-2012, 01:27 PM
Shock and Awe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Just keeping up with today's media atmosphere!
It's just really silly to make a statement like that though. Coples upside alone makes him worth at a bare minimum an early 2nd round pick and I would be shocked if he wasn't drafted in the first round.

To say he is undraftable is kind of like what?
3. DaQuan Jones - DT - Penn State
4. Dakota Dozier - OG - Furman
5. Devin Street - WR - Pittsburgh
6. Kenny Ladler - DB - Vanderbilt
7. Spencer Shuey - 34ILB - Clemson
Old 04-13-2012, 05:36 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockTreatment View Post
It's just really silly to make a statement like that though. Coples upside alone makes him worth at a bare minimum an early 2nd round pick and I would be shocked if he wasn't drafted in the first round.

To say he is undraftable is kind of like what?
When did he say that?

Old 04-13-2012, 05:43 PM
Shock and Awe

Quote:
When did he say that?
Good point. It was the headline of one of the articles. I didn't actually hear him say it specifically, but one of the articles said "Mayock thinks Coples undraftable".
3. DaQuan Jones - DT - Penn State
4. Dakota Dozier - OG - Furman
5. Devin Street - WR - Pittsburgh
6. Kenny Ladler - DB - Vanderbilt
7. Spencer Shuey - 34ILB - Clemson
Old 04-13-2012, 06:41 PM
Pragmatic Realist

Mayock said Coples is his 50th ranked player in the draft. He feels like his lack of effort is too concerning, and if he was a GM he simply wouldn't draft him.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000...ke-mayock-says

Non-Charger Drafties I'll be watching
Jake Bequette (Patriots)
Jayron Hosley (Giants)
Brandon Thompson (Bengals)
Taylor Thompson (Titians)
Old 04-13-2012, 10:19 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockTreatment View Post
Good point. It was the headline of one of the articles. I didn't actually hear him say it specifically, but one of the articles said "Mayock thinks Coples undraftable".
Here are my thoughts on Mayock, unrelated to Chandler Jones.

1. He works for a TV station. His primary job, above even covering the draft, is to increase and maintain viewership and readership because that's what makes money. He could be the most accurate scout in the world, but if no one wanted to read him or watch him then he wouldn't have the job he currently has.

Because of that, I think he sometimes has to manipulate his rankings to suit the moment. Post-combine, your average draft fan was gaga over Dontari Poe's performance. So what is going to draw the eye of most fans? Pushing Poe up your rankings and writing pieces on his potential. It's simple dollars and cents at that point. I personally don't think Mayock ever truly considered Poe to be the best DT in this draft. Just my opinion.

2. Every year there is a dramatic change in who goes where in the draft. We obsessive few who follow the process on a daily basis don't feel it so much because the changes happen gradually. But if all one ever did was check into the top 5 rankings by position every two weeks, there would be some pretty big swings.

I have had a bad habit of discounting opinions that go against the grain simply because I haven't seen them anywhere before. I told Gato all offseason that I didn't think McClellin was a first round talent and now everyone is mocking him in the first round. So when I saw Kiper put Jones at 18 I chose to look into it farther rather than just laugh it off and I found I agreed.

So maybe Mayock is whacky this year, or maybe we're all too stuck in the rut of rankings that we've become all too familiar with. We'll know if about two weeks. I think he'll end up being right more than he will wrong.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:11 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:

Yeah he was 266 for the combine. He was 255 for his proday because he had the flu prior to it and said he was puking a lot and lost weight.

Those two vids i saw were good looks at him but its only two videos. I sure wouldnt make a concrete statement saying he is my guy based off those. Surprised you are. I wouldnt pick him at #18 just from those and i saw three videos of Ingram and he looked the same in all three (unimpressive) so based off those i wouldnt pick him at #18 either.

Not my normal way of doing things but i never saw either play this year and i really dont have "my guy" this year.

Last edited by Boltjolt; 04-14-2012 at 12:13 AM..
Old 04-14-2012, 07:50 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Here are my thoughts on Mayock, unrelated to Chandler Jones.

1. He works for a TV station. His primary job, above even covering the draft, is to increase and maintain viewership and readership because that's what makes money. He could be the most accurate scout in the world, but if no one wanted to read him or watch him then he wouldn't have the job he currently has.

Because of that, I think he sometimes has to manipulate his rankings to suit the moment. Post-combine, your average draft fan was gaga over Dontari Poe's performance. So what is going to draw the eye of most fans? Pushing Poe up your rankings and writing pieces on his potential. It's simple dollars and cents at that point. I personally don't think Mayock ever truly considered Poe to be the best DT in this draft. Just my opinion.

2. Every year there is a dramatic change in who goes where in the draft. We obsessive few who follow the process on a daily basis don't feel it so much because the changes happen gradually. But if all one ever did was check into the top 5 rankings by position every two weeks, there would be some pretty big swings.

I have had a bad habit of discounting opinions that go against the grain simply because I haven't seen them anywhere before. I told Gato all offseason that I didn't think McClellin was a first round talent and now everyone is mocking him in the first round. So when I saw Kiper put Jones at 18 I chose to look into it farther rather than just laugh it off and I found I agreed.

So maybe Mayock is whacky this year, or maybe we're all too stuck in the rut of rankings that we've become all too familiar with. We'll know if about two weeks. I think he'll end up being right more than he will wrong.

Kemp...the question that begs to be answered is simple: The day before the draft, 'final' rankings I guess you could call it, are in...how do they look when compared to the actual draft? I realize trades happen, GM's fall in love, give up too much to draft a guy too high, and you can't predict that too well. Trades are not prevelant, but do change the order, cuasing some player to be available when he wasn't expected to be. In the final analysis, if you take the projected first 64 players, and the actual first 64...how many times do they match? Just how accurate are the Mayocks of the world?

GO BOLTS !