Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2012, 12:54 PM
Daniel Lee Jesus

I don't mean offense to anyone, but I am seeing a lot of "he's a 3rd round guy" without much else for comment. I can understand why that opinion persists, as he has been ranked on a lot of draft boards in that round for a while now, but I am asking for a little more. Why would you put him there? What about his game do you like and what about it do you think is sub-par?
Old 04-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Daniel Lee Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMelHo View Post
I don't know. I thought his brother, Arthur Jones was a better player coming out and he is a back up currently but he may start for the Ravens down the road. I think Chandler Jones will be a good back up, maybe even a starter but not a dominant player.
I was underwhelmed by Arthur at Syracuse. Very difficult to compare the two brothers since they are very different players, but I didn't see anything special about Arthur Jones.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:18 PM
Hall of Famer

As far as my easier post goes, I'd like to get him at 3rd rd or under.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:23 PM
Hall of Famer

I can t say where he should go since as i said i didnt see him play or some others play but Draftscout has him as the 35th ranked player so those saying 3rd round or later.....where are you getting that from? Like i mentioned, he looks to me better than Ingram and that guy is ranked top 12....for some reason. I sure dont see it.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltjolt View Post
I can t say where he should go since as i said i didnt see him play or some others play but Draftscout has him as the 35th ranked player so those saying 3rd round or later.....where are you getting that from? Like i mentioned, he looks to me better than Ingram and that guy is ranked top 12....for some reason. I sure dont see it.
Part of the reason I see him for third or lower is because of his injury history. Plus there are times when he isn't that impactful to be dominant, not making worthy as a starter. Though I'd still like him as a backup.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Daniel Lee Jesus

Quote:
I honestly didn't watch him play one game from start to finish this year easier. That's why I wanted to ask for opinions because maybe someone did see more of him than I did. One thing that's undeniable is that he looks the part more so than anyone else in this class save Coples. The lack of production troubles me.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:34 PM
Daniel Lee Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anwar View Post
Part of the reason I see him for third or lower is because of his injury history. Plus there are times when he isn't that impactful to be dominant, not making worthy as a starter. Though I'd still like him as a backup.
The knee injury is a valid point. Though I would hardly say he has an injury "history" as it was the first time he missed a game due to injury over his collegiate career. Syracuse never defined what exactly the injury was, but I am assuming that it was a sprain since he only missed 5 games... maybe to the MCL. That's pure conjecture, but suffice it to say his knee was deemed perfectly sound by the doctors at the combine and I am sure teams interested in him have/will have their team doctors do a once over before the draft.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
I honestly didn't watch him play one game from start to finish this year easier. That's why I wanted to ask for opinions because maybe someone did see more of him than I did. One thing that's undeniable is that he looks the part more so than anyone else in this class save Coples. The lack of production troubles me.
Well i dont think he is worthy of the #18 pick. So in that regard i think Kiper is high. Id say second round and if he is ther in the 3rd great but i hope AJ doesnt wait that long to get a OLB.

I just hope he doesnt draft Harrison Smith in the first round. I might throw something at my TV and ive already got the red as* from a disapointing season and Norv being retained. That would sour it even more for me.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:58 PM
Draft This Man

Would be a nice pick for a team like the Jags. Don't see an OLB in him.

sean of BSX
Old 04-08-2012, 02:03 PM
Daniel Lee Jesus

Quote:
Well i dont think he is worthy of the #18 pick. So in that regard i think Kiper is high. Id say second round and if he is ther in the 3rd great but i hope AJ doesnt wait that long to get a OLB.

I just hope he doesnt draft Harrison Smith in the first round. I might throw something at my TV and ive already got the red as* from a disapointing season and Norv being retained. That would sour it even more for me.
Well, like we've both said, we haven't seen him play an entire game. I am not insisting that he will be a great NFL player, but if we went that way at 18 I would be optimistic.

Look at this:

Chandler Jones 2011: 38 tackles, 7.5 for a loss, 4.5 sacks, 2 PBU's, 3 hurries, 2 FF's, and 1 interception in 7 games.

Aldon Smith 2010: 48 tackles, 10 for a loss, 4.5 sacks, 2 BPU's, 1 hurry, 1 FF, and 1 interception in 9 games.

Chandler Jones combine: 6'5", 266 lbs, 35 1/2 inch arms, 9 3/4 inch hands.

- 4.87 40 yard dash
- 22 reps
- 35 inch vert
- 120 inch broad
- 7.07 second 3 cone
- 4.38 short shuttle

Aldon Smith Combine: 6'4", 263 lbs, 35 3/8 inch arms, 9 3/4 inch hands.

- 4.78 40 yard dash
- 20 reps
- 34 inch vert
- 118 broad
- 7.19 second 3 cone
- 4.50 short shuttle

Now this in no way proves that Jones will be as good as Smith at the next level, but dang they are similar prospects. The similarities are seemingly endless. And they're both early draft entrees. Interesting.